DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Loctite

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  COS 
#1 ·
Aloha, all. I am changing the bolts that came with my Calb 180's to 35mm ss studs (with allen female on top). Thinking is that I can use the whole alum or copper female connectors on the cell to the whole depth. Also I want to torque the busbar connectors ONCE and not have to ever remove them. The extra stud still showing above the buss bar will be for different monitoring things, BMS, and other connectors without needing to remove the bussbar.

Anyway what is the conclusion about using loctite to secure the studs and if using loctite or "threadlock" what strength to use?

thanks
Francis

#2 ·
The vast majority (about 98-99%) of the current goes directly from the pad to the busbar connections when using SS studs, so you don't need to worry about conducting there.

I've used studs for the same reason you are. I just hand-tightened them the first time, then once I torqued down the nut (100 in-lbs) over the busbar, it never came loose, but there's no reason why you can't use loctite. Probably a good idea anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.