Makes you wonder! - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > General Forum > Chit Chat

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 PM

Tatsushige is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Makes you wonder!

This was a laugh a minute ... Was looking at LEAF photos and pics and came across this one..

Now why would you put a Turbo Intercooler on a EV?? Do people know what a electric car is??
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 PM

onegreenev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsushige View Post
This was a laugh a minute ... Was looking at LEAF photos and pics and came across this one..

Now why would you put a Turbo Intercooler on a EV?? Do people know what a electric car is??

I'd do that if there was an actual conversion body kit like this. Nice body kit.

Where did you get turbo intercooler from?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 PM

dragonsgate is on a distinguished road

I think we are looking at a shopped picture. The cooler was probably added because it looked...well…cool. I like the slammed look.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsgate View Post
I think we are looking at a shopped picture. The cooler was probably added because it looked...well…cool. I like the slammed look.

Hey I would buy the kit, but the guys screwed up with the intercooler!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 PM

onegreenev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey I would buy the kit, but the guys screwed up with the intercooler!
Maybe they think Zero Emissions means 100% recycled exhaust so it still needs gasoline. They have no clue. Many still think my Leaf has a gas engine. They think its a hybrid. Arrrrrrrrg.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Administrator

david85 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreenev View Post
They think its a hybrid. Arrrrrrrrg.
You'd be surprised how many asked me if my car was really "fully electric".

All I had to do was build it.. http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ion-26587.html

Garage: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/206

Forum Rules and terms of service:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/faq.php
Old 06-28-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david85 View Post
You'd be surprised how many asked me if my car was really "fully electric".

Makes you really wonder what the hell people are doing in schools now days. The IQ is dropping ...

With the mining boom in Australia, the news reported Australians are getting richer, but also dumber, as a lot of people are dropping out of school to try and get a job as a miner, what happens with the mining boom ends? A lot of uneducated idiots will be out of work and too thick to be employed in anything else.

As for Australia’s getting richer, I do not know how they are getting richer, they now pay the highest in the world for electricity, water and gas, the latest news report is the old folks cannot afford to pay for power and the power companies are turning off the electricity supply to them, leaving them without heating for the winter which has just started in Australia.

In the past 2 years the cost of power has gone up about 500%, my grandmother is in her late 80’s and living off a pension and claims now that half the pension is used to pay for power, that is not including gas, telephone, water, rates or food.

While here in Japan the cost of power has just dropped, my monthly bill was about $US70 a month and now it is $US20, the reason so many people in my area have added solar units to their houses, business etc and selling the power back to the power company the power company has too much power, so dropped the cost of it so more people will use power.

A new city complex is being built about 5kilometres away from where I am and the whole complex will rely 100% of solar and wind to supply it electricity. Plans are under way for a new city in Nagoya that will also be 70% solar and wind and 30% thermo from the onsens in the area. A lot of companies are now looking at using the heat and hot water from the hot springs in Japan to make electricity, as everyone has really gone anti-nuke.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:28 AM
Admin: 'one of many'

Woodsmith will become famous soon enoughWoodsmith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Now why would you put a Turbo Intercooler on a EV??
Maybe it is water cooling radiator for a Shiva?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 PM

I said that their has been no power bill hikes and slap bang this falls in my lap, just hit the news.

Boon for wind power, however, will be limited by regulations, lack of political and financial support

Feed-in tariff has solar advocates sky high

OSAKA — Major Japanese and overseas solar energy firms are expected to reap huge profits in the coming years from the new feed-in tariff that goes into effect Sunday, but other energy forms may be slower to take off due to a host of official restrictions, technical limitations and lack of political and financial support.

The tariff will also mean that household electricity bills will rise by about ¥87 per month on average as utilities purchase more solar, wind, geothermal, mini hydro and biomass power from a variety of sources.

The introduction of the feed-in tariff caps a 12-year effort by advocates to make it easier for utilities and manufacturers to get into the renewable energy business. Germany introduced its feed-in tariff back in 2000, and a group of Japanese politicians in both the then-ruling Liberal Democratic Party and opposition parties pushed for a similar tariff in Japan around the same time.

Their efforts were thwarted by the utilities, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, and powerful business lobbies like Keidanren, all of which strongly opposed replacing fossil fuels with renewables, citing cost and supply stability issues.

While there are five renewable energy forms covered, solar, wind and geothermal are getting most of the attention. The FIT, as the feed-in tariff is known, sets a price of ¥42 per kwh for solar, over a period of 20 years, for plants that produce more than 10 kw, and 10 years for those producing less. For those in the solar industry, the advent of the tariff is welcomed and predictions are that it will lead to massive growth.

"The FIT system will immediately boost demand for solar panels, creating great opportunities for all solar battery manufacturers and related companies. It will lead to cities installing more solar panels, and the development of better energy management systems," Mikio Katayama, head of the Japan Photovoltaic Energy Association, said in late May.

The JPVA predicts that during the first year of the new tariff, Solar Power demand will double compared with 2011. As of the end of April, total solar capacity in Japan was about 5 gigawatts. The association predicts that by 2030, installed capacity will reach 100 gigawatts.

But if the FIT is good news for firms in the solar business — like Sharp Corp., where Katayama is also chairman — and Sanyo Electric Co., Solar Frontier K.K., Kyocera Corp., as well over solar firms looking to enter the Japanese market such as China's Suntech Power Holdings, the world's largest solar panel maker, it may not do as much for other renewable energy forms.

In a recent interview, Tetsuro Nagata, head of the Japan Windpower Association, said wind power is concentrated in Hokkaido and the Tohoku region and that unless grid connections to deliver the power from remote areas are strengthened, it will be difficult to expand, even with the new tariff, which guarantees wind power generators producing more than 20 kw will receive ¥23.1 per kwh, and those producing less than 20 kw will receive ¥57.75 per kwh, in both cases over a 20-year period.

As of March, there were 1,840 windmills producing a total of 2.52 million kw at 422 plants around the country. The July issue of a Norinchukin Research Institute publication notes that land-based wind farms remained expensive to operate, wind conditions were not always ideal, and the tariff prices, among the highest in the world, may not act as much of an incentive by themselves.

"It's difficult to see a large spread of wind power just with the introduction of the FIT. On the other hand, it's possible that small-scale wind farms, producing less than 10 kw, might take off, especially on farms and in public parks," the report says.

For geothermal, the FIT rates are ¥27.30 per kwh for plants producing more than 15 megawatts, and ¥42 per kwh for plants producing less.

Both rates are for a 15-year period. The FIT rates are designed to encourage small-scale geothermal producers, especially in the Tohoku region and Kyushu where supply is abundant.

But due to strict environmental regulations and construction standards, it can take 10 years for a geothermal plant to go into operation. That makes it difficult to enter the market with plans based on current FIT rates.

"With the introduction of the FIT, Solar Power is expected to expand rapidly, but other energy sources will be limited to the growth of small-scale plants because of geography, technological limitations, time required for environmental impact assessments and weak grid connections that make it difficult to alternate between sources of renewable power," the report says.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:11 AM

Default Feed-in tariff era gets under way

Feed-in tariff era gets under way

Kyodo

The feed-in tariff system for renewable energies entered into force Sunday to help promote their use and cut Japan's dependency on nuclear power.

The system requires utilities to purchase all electricity generated through solar, wind, water and geothermal power, among other eco-friendly sources, at fixed rates for up to 20 years. The costs will be passed onto consumers.

The government's generous tariff rates have created considerable interest in the sector, with companies rushing to build massive solar and other power plants based on renewable energies.

Two large solar installations went online in Kyoto, Gunma, Niigata and Fukuoka prefectures the same day. Meanwhile, Kyocera Corp. plans to construct a 70-megawatt solar facility in Kagoshima Prefecture and is scheduled to establish a special company to oversee the project later this month. Mitsui Chemicals Inc. and other firms also intend to start work on a solar and wind power station later this year.

The government had approved 44 solar or wind power facilities with a combined output of 41,605 kw to join the system as of Thursday, according to an official at the Agency for Natural Resources and Energy, part of the industry ministry.

Household electricity bills are expected to rise by ¥87 per month on average under the new system, the agency said earlier. This estimate is based on the assumption that general households consume ¥7,000 worth of electricity each month.

As renewable energies are generally more expensive than thermal power generation, the feed-in tariff system was designed to ensure the profitability of such operations and spur more companies to enter the sector.

For example, the utilities will have to pay ¥42 per kilowatt-hour for solar-generated electricity to operators that produce 10 kw or more, over the next 20 years. The same rate applies to facilities with a lower capacity but for a shorter time period — 10 years.

Share or Bookmark this