Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 02:48 PM

theFREElaker is on a distinguished road
Default Motorcycle conversion: Kawasaki Ninja ex500 using dual enertrac motors

I am going to do a sport bike conversion, just doing all of my research now. I am leaning towards a Kawasaki ninja ex500.

Motor: enertrac's dual 602 hub motors at 96 volts
Controller: yet to be determined, any suggestions?
Battery pack: 96 volt 60 Ah pack with integrated bms and charger from Electric auto sports inc.

What I am looking for:
1: decent to fast acceleration
2: 45 mile range

However, I am a little confused about how the dual motor aspect will affect the bikes performance. I assume they are wired in parallel but I don't know. If so, how does this affect acceleration and power consumption?
Any and all comments, suggestions and constructive criticisms are welcome and wanted. Please post what you think about the project!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2012, 03:19 PM

frodus will become famous soon enoughfrodus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Motorcycle conversion: Kawasaki Ninja ex500 using dual enertrac motors

How do you mean dual motor? Two motors in one hub on the rear wheel? or one motor on front, one on back? I'm not famiiliar, so forgive me.

I think Mark uses Kelly. I'd ask him what he recommends first.

What brand batteries? Just wondering, I sell batteries as well... GBS cells/bms/charger.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:10 PM

Bowser330 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Motorcycle conversion: Kawasaki Ninja ex500 using dual enertrac motors

http://www.ev-propulsion.com/motorcycle-hub-motors.html

They sell a dual motor setup now for sport bikes....peaks at 60kw...

Off Topic:
It would be awesome to see a lightweight car like a miata with all the wheels driven by these motors. 8 motors, 10ke nom. & 30kw peak each = 240kw peak, 80kw nominal total, each motor supports 400 pounds, so 8 support 3200lbs, lightweight lithium pack would work.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:18 PM

Yeah, I think they're put in parallel, I'd ask mark what he recommends.

What batteries are you using?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 PM

I emailed a few companies for quotes, but i think i am going to go with a 2nd generation GBS Lithium battery pack. I am looking at the 40AH 96 volt pack (https://www.electricautosports.com/node/451) and the 60AH 96 volt pack (https://www.electricautosports.com/node/445). Trying to figure out with pack i should get. The 60AH pack at $4000.00 is almost too much money for me... but from my calculations, to travel 40 miles at 70mph I need ~53AH 96 volt pack.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:00 PM

Honestly, I am primarily concerned about which battery pack i should get and how the dual ?parallel? motors will affect the bikes performance.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:46 PM

jeremyjs is on a distinguished road

you'd be really pushing a 40 ah pack hard, well beyond it's specifications for peak power, with those motors and a controller to support it. Heck you'd even be pushing 60ah cells, not beyond their rating, but certainly enough to cut their lifespan a bit to lower than the advertised 2000 cycles.......
Old 05-22-2012, 05:53 PM

I tend to agree. I'd shoot for 60Ah cells unless you decide to do a higher power cell, which would likely cost you more anyway.

PM'd you
Old 05-24-2012, 05:09 PM

Is anyone keen on how exactly these nub motors work? For the dual MHM602, is a 144volt pack ideal, so that each motor gets 72 volts? I am not entirely sure how this works. Does each motor getting 72 volts mean each pull half of the amperage provided by the controller at any given moment, and if so, does this increase overall power or overall efficiency?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:27 AM

Doesn't work like that. These are brushless motors. They're essentially position matched and then fixed in place so that the coils are in series or parallel. The controller still gets 144V, but it depends on how Mark has them hooked up. I wouldn't wander far from what he's done.

I think most times I see dual brushless motors, they're put in parallel, so each motor would be getting a modulated 144V signal, each motor at half the amps.
Sponsored Links

Share or Bookmark this

Tags
enertrac hub motor, ex500, kawasaki, motorcycle, ninja