My Sad Scooter Story - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Electric Bikes

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 11:19 AM

subliminelle is on a distinguished road
Default My Sad Scooter Story

http://myfirstelectricmoped.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 01:37 PM

njloof is on a distinguished road

Wow, what a disappointing experience. Definitely noted to avoid Voisen Motors.

What are your plans for it?
Old 05-26-2012, 04:47 PM

RIPPERTON is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Sad Scooter Story

OMG Elsa you are SO emotional
take a few logic pills and chill out.
this is why women and machines dont gel.

Have to admit even as a mechanic I found that noise was weird.
It was a mechanical noise but there are virtually no moving parts in an electric bike and nothing to come loose.
I was thinking loose magnet or motor stator but it turned out ok.
Maybe loose battery cables arcing or the hubs torque lever has come loose.

but golden rule of mechanical diagnostics is never guess or predict.
Always dismantle and inspect. get those yellow panels off and let your ears take you to the problem. Dont just start replacing parts.
Some people say Motor Mechanics is easy, just replace the part
but which part ? Motor Mechanics IS easy Diagnostics is hard.

My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/RIPPERTON?feature=mhee#p/u
Batrium battery management systems http://www.batrium.com/
Old 05-26-2012, 05:26 PM

Salty9 is on a distinguished road

A cheap stethoscope from Harbor Freight helps to diagnose mechanical noises. Good luck.

It sounds like a loose motor to me. Did you post on http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=10

They do a lot of scooters.

Last edited by Salty9; 05-26-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Add info.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:53 PM

dragonsgate is on a distinguished road

At first I thought it might be a stripped spline on the axel shaft but after reading the blog again if I got it right they were riding double when the scooter gave out. I think they over loaded the weight capacity of the scooter and most likely lugged the motor with the extra weight thus over heating it and wrecking the windings. I have seen motors that have been over taxed to the point they stop working and make that type of noise.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:46 AM

orfansin is on a distinguished road

Oh i am really sorry about your bad experience ..thanks for giving us advice we have to keep that mind that accidents are not good ..
Old 06-14-2012, 08:31 PM

reubenT is on a distinguished road

I do not like it when people do not stand behind what they sell, terrible position to be in for them even if they don't realize it.
I wish I was close enough to do something, but I'm just a few too many miles east of ya. (like maybe 2000) I specialize in unfixable junk. I've fixed a lot of things "they say can't be fixed" Anything can be done if ya got the tools and a little inventiveness. The noise I hear in the video sounds like either electrical noise from killed motor, (a power tool that has shorted windings might sound similar) or stripped gears if it's a gear reduction drive. having never messed with hub motors I don't know how they're made.
My best idea would be to take it to that guy who worked out of his garage and see if he thinks it's worth fixing. Problem is most people have to make money for their time and many times it takes more time to fix something that it's worth. I've done a lot of fixes that weren't worth the time, just because I'd rather fix stuff than work for money.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:30 PM

PStechPaul is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: My Sad Scooter Story

It was interesting to read the blog about the initial failure, and then the "comedy of errors" that seemed to constitute the remainder of the story. I can sympathize, to a point, but I have always had the confidence and determination to understand and fix anything that has failed. I've always had a good ability to analyze, troubleshoot, and fix almost anything of an electrical or mechanical nature, and my father was the same way. So I have rarely enlisted the help of auto mechanics, electricians, plumbers, or other professionals. And many times, when I have trusted my vehicle to a mechanic, I was astounded by their incompetence.

I would love to tackle a job like this. It is in my engineer's blood to seek out problems and find solutions. Sometimes I've had to learn new techniques and tools and do research to understand what I'm dealing with. But I look at such experiences as challenges and opportunities to learn and expand my skills and knowledge. "Things" have never posed an insurmountable problem for me.

But dealing with people, and emotions, are much more difficult for me. I see the world differently from those who get excited or sad or frustrated or angry, especially when it involves technology. So I have a hard time relating to the emotional content of the blog, and the series of bad decisions and incorrect assessments that were the product of very poor understanding of how things work (and break), on a very basic level.

I wish I were closer to San Diego, or able to visit there again. I've been there many times, and I have always stayed in Ocean Beach. I can't imagine that there are no competent mechanics who could determine the problem with this e-bike. It is almost certainly a mechanical problem, although after the electrical mishaps there are probably also problems in that area. I'm also surprised that there was no warranty. Even without an express warranty, there is generally an implied warranty on sales of this type that should allow some legal remedy.

Maybe what bothered me most was the "victim" attitude and the signs of clinical depression and lack of self-esteem. I have known other people who have expressed the idea that anything bad that has happened to them must be somebody's fault, and instead of addressing that issue, they adopt a defeatist attitude. It was especially noticeable where the E-bike owner expected failure, and was rewarded by having it happen.

JMHO...
Old 06-16-2012, 09:11 AM

NintendoKD can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to NintendoKD Send a message via Skype™ to NintendoKD

Don't give up! there is hope out there. I am dealing with a similar problem with one of my vehicles, electrical is a bear, but don't let it get you down.
A lot of money first. A good light weight vehicle. 9" motor, Soliton1, Synkromotive controller, Warp Drive Controller, Zilla Controller. A large pack of lithium batteries. 45 kWH at least. A good charger and lots of money. Oh, and more money. It will be expensive. You won't be able to do that with Lead Acid batteries. PETE
Most of the other stuff is minor compared to the car, motor, controller and battery pack.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:53 AM

Whitehawk is on a distinguished road

Hey, even men cry when their toys break, but its more internally crying with no physical emotion. People at work may ask, are you okay, or your gf/wife may feel like they did something wrong or feel like you're having an affair with another woman, because you're staying late at work googling forums and constantly staring at nothing, thinking deeply about the broken toy.

Share or Bookmark this