Noob considering EV conversion - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 01:10 PM

JohnFM3 is on a distinguished road
Default Noob considering EV conversion

So my noob status comes from my lack of knowlege in the EV arena. My experiance in fabrication I feel is strong backed by my Jeep builds.

I am looking for information to help me make a decision on if a EV is a possible solution for my transportation needs.

I am a Washington resident (which of course is not flat) who lives 50 miles away from work. A large section of my driving (35 miles) is done over hwy 18 at speeds of 65 an 70mph. The rest is 40 an below. In order for me to beable to consider full electric, I need to get a 2 seater to get 125 miles round trip (min) an 150 miles prefered.

My thought is start with a Datsun 510. My wife auto crosses a 72 with a VG-30 an I feel confident in my ability to build from one. As they are considered rolling bricks, I may consider the 240z as a more arero dynamic car. Main reason for though on the 510 is my ability to get it below/around 1000 pounds with Engine an Drive Train removed as well as the aftermarket parts community.

The other thing I am noticing from what I am reading is that I should really consider a 120v system to reach the speeds desired. Is there a controller which can run dual sources? Example being 72v Battery source an some from of Generator for when I need to hit the 70mph speeds?

I do plan on finding the lightest Man Tranny made an running that. Datsun/Nissan if at all possible. Hopefully a OD tranny. Also considering 2.73:1 or 3:05 rear gears at most.

Further questions I am having a hard time figuring out...
*Why would I consider an AC system?
*Is there any good colaberative source for drive train components including information such as weight an ratios?
*Comparision chart to assist in determining weight to Volt requirements?

I am sure if this project takes off, I will have more questions.

John Moore :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM

Ziggythewiz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Noob considering EV conversion

Anything's possible if you have the time and money to build it. For what you want, that would be a lot of $$$. What kind of budget do you have planned?

In addition to weight and aerodynamics, another thing to consider for the donor car is cargo capacity (GVWR - curb weight). To get well over 100 miles you'll need to be able to pack a hefty and sizable pack.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:10 PM

winzeracer is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. As ziggy stated 100 miles+ means big money. Check out evalbum and look for vehicles with that kind of range like this one http://www.evalbum.com/4099. This is just the first one I grabbed as an example, you will see that under Conversion Cost it says "if you have to ask..."

On another note if you beging reading on this site and check out the diy wiki, and post up with a propsed system with parts that you are considering you will get a lot of useful feedback. For now I would say just read till your eyes fall out.

Happy Hunting

www.winzeracer.com
40kw Race Kart Build
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ead-75205.html
Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 PM

Caps18 is on a distinguished road

Honestly, look at the Nissan Leaf for pure electric, Chevy Volt if you need to go 150miles. Tesla if you don't mind saving up for another few years. Honda, Ford, and others are going to be selling some soon too.

The battery pack alone for what you want will cost $15,000+ and won't be as good as the one in the commercially available cars. Add in the motor, controller, gauges, DC-DC converter, plug, charger, wires, and the amount of time this takes. And you have to deal with any problems that come up. Resale value will be better on a production car too. Then there is the tax credit thing.

If you need to go 30-40 miles or less each day is where the DIY EV's are a good value. If there is a lot of stop and go slow city driving is ideal. And I am converting a pick-up truck which the major manufacturers don't seem to be making this time.

But, the honest truth is that this is not easy, and sometimes working and saving money over a year or two and buying a car will be the better choice.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 PM

Hello everyone, thanks for the input. That's kinda what I am finding. My mileage requirements just blows the cost effectiveness out of the water for now. Though it would be cool to try something new an go electric, the kinda cash required buys a lot of gas in my 20mpg Cherokee an even more in my 40mpg VW.

John
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM

dougingraham will become famous soon enough

In your first note you said you need 125 miles for a round trip but you want 150 miles range. Let us also use your 20mpg Cherokee figure.

Gas cost per day $25
Gas cost per week $175
Gas cost per month $750
Gas cost per year $9125

Assuming the cost of electricity to be 0.11 per kilowatt hour and a charger efficiency of 92% your electricity cost is going to be:

Day $4.48
Week $31.39
Month $134.51
Year $1636.55

You need a 70.31kwh pack to do this so that at the end of life of the batteries you can still get to your required range. This pack would cost approximatly $30000. The break even from the gasoline savings is just under 4 years. At the expected end of life of the batteries you will be ahead about $32000 over driving your Cherokee. This doesn't take into account any increase in the cost of gasoline and doesn't count cost of oil changes which is actually significant when you drive this much.

With a pack that large (1500lbs) you will need to modify the vehicle to carry the extra weight. The new pack range is estimated to be 234 miles to 100%DOD.

This can be done but will be an expensive conversion. But it costs a lot more over time to burn gas. I have a crude spreadsheet I made to do this calculation.
Saving the planet one EV mile at a time!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougingraham View Post
In your first note you said you need 125 miles for a round trip but you want 150 miles range. Let us also use your 20mpg Cherokee figure...

...This can be done but will be an expensive conversion. But it costs a lot more over time to burn gas. I have a crude spreadsheet I made to do this calculation.

Dougingram,
My round trip is 99.8 miles via the quickest route, I throw up the 120 as if I have to take the longer route (which has happend due to accident). An the 150 mile mark is my prefered buffer.

You bring up very valid points. An the only idea I have to support that kind of weight in something I am going to like is a Jeep Liberty (around 4k pound with v6/man 6sp/4wd) an again make it a 2 seater. If I was able to get the range an keep the 6sp man & 4wd I would still have increased costs to build. An if I am going to spend $20K on a project, its going to be a Willy's or a 68 Hemi Barracuda. Not my daily commuter.

At this time, these kinds of cost for a Daily Driver are out of my reach :-( which is really too bad as I would consider this tech for transportation.

I am not looking to buy a production car, I would like something with some style that I can enjoy (aka 510, 280z, Barracuda, Liberty, Jetta). I drive long distances to work, I would like to enjoy what I drive. An a leaf is not something I would enjoy, an with 5 kids (4 in band an the oldest 2 in HS) I am not buying a Tesla any time soon (bummer). An I dont want a VOLT (not a chevy guy).

It quickly became apparent that $6K an a TDI VW can get me 50mpg. So I am guessing thats the route I am going until EV become more economical an battery tech improves along with electrical generation tech.

John

Share or Bookmark this