Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > General Forum > Chit Chat

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 AM

onegreenev is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Off topic - Transit of Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerNut View Post
Cool. I was sure I'd be able to search pictures online, but part of the motivation was to do some backyard science with my kids. To point the telescope at a dot in the sky and then see something that is either a once in a lifetime experience or something that, a few hundred years ago, sparked a revolution in people's understanding of the universe, is pretty special.
The challenge of aiming a telescope, especially an inexpensive one, and getting a good observation, is a humbling thing too... the guys like Tycho, Kepler, and Herschel, who spent nights on end out in the cold, taking sky surveys, had some serious determination.
I fully agree to do this first hand. No matter how, it is far better to witness in person. I remember once during a Solar Eclipse when my children were quite young and in day care at the local school. We had setup a full viewing box where we used a pin hole to cast a shadow of the event on the ground so all could safely view the event but the school refused to allow the students out to see because they felt it was dangerous and that they could ruin their vision. So not a single student was allowed to view the event but US adults could. It was a last minute decision of the school. What a shame. Shame on them for denying the children a unique science event in real time. I was so pissed. It was a FULL solar eclipse. RARE for our area. It was so cool. Even better than the last one we just had.

First hand viewing is the only way to go. So not only did I take photos to record I also just looked in AWE at an event never to be seen again in my life.

Sponsored Links

Share or Bookmark this