DIY Electric Car Forums banner

The official site suggestions thread

153K views 163 replies 49 participants last post by  Caps18 
#1 · (Edited)
Can we start a suggestions section? I don't mean to be too presumptuous. I know I just got on this board today, but it would be nice to have a suggestions section. :)

#9 ·
Seems like I've seen some Spell Check plugins for Opera, I'll do some research on that. As a dedicated, ain't-gonna-change-fer-nobody Opera user for the last seven or eight years, this might be handy in many other situations.

I've always wondered: If spell checking is so accurate, why can't it correct my password? :D

#10 ·
You can also download the Google Tool Bar and use it to spell check. I don't know what I would do with out the google tool bar. It makes surfing so fast.

If you use Firefox as your browser, it will spell check for you too.

#12 ·
Here's what Opera recommends for spell checking on their browser: Aspell for Windows. A Google search turned up many other spell check programs (search string ="opera spell check"). The Aspell looks like it will affect all installed programs on the computer, so it may have other uses as well as Opera. I dunno, I did this once before with another similar program and ended up deleting it because it interfered with either Word or Eudora's native spell check feature. I've downloaded the program, but will probably have to wait until I take a trip into town to download the dictionary. It's 2.3Mb, and that will take a while on my slow dial-up connection. Id rather brush my teeth and go to bed now rather than in 45 minutes...

#15 ·
In "Technical Discussion" you'll get dirty!

Forum Suggestion:

I notice that signature pictures are allowed if they are uploaded to the DIYEC server, but [ IMG ] tags are not allowed in signatures, allowing images to be displayed from a remote server. Assuming that our so-far small group didn't abuse this ability, I wonder if it's possible to turn the image tags on for signatures?

#17 ·
haha So, if I have a question about how to uh... lets say, wire up a speed controller, I should post in Technical Discussion?

Is the "All About EV Conversions" board more just for posting interesting sites and articles or something?

As for the img tags... I would guess that using img tags requires less from the diyec server. Am I wrong on this? If that is the case, then shouldn't img tags be the preferred method?

#18 ·
xrotaryguy said:
shouldn't img tags be the preferred method?
Yes, but it's more of a formatting issue, which is why it's included in the forum setup. Some users don't understand that posting an 800x600 1.4Mb file of their cat coughing up a hairball isn't going to be considered tasteful by some of the other users (particularly those of us on dialup ISP). Very large images can also cause the page apperance to get messed up pretty fast. Having the image posted on the DIYEC server allows the software to regulate the size of the image, both in pixels and file size.

I'd like to think that we could have the [ img ] tags in sigs open and that user's would use the capability responsibly. Once this forum has 10,000 members, it might be a different matter altogether.

#19 ·
Aah, I can see how dial-up users would have a problem with large images. The guys on the EVDL have been complaining about it quite a bit since talk of this forum started. Email list guys :rolleyes: :p You could be right about content being a problem, but I would be surprised if this were a problem in signatures. It's more of a problem with people posting up pics from sites like steakandcheese.com (if that awful site still exists :p ) isnt it? I guess I have seen people have weird things in their signatures. Who knows were some of those images came from... For the most part though, the signatures I have seen have been banners that people put together with photoshop and then hosted on photobucket or some other image hosting service.

Oh well... As long as we are allowed to have img tags in the message body, I'm happy. :)

#21 ·
Smart dialup users like me surf with their images turned off. ;)

What I am asking about here is the option of using [ img ] tags (yes, bbcode) in signatures. The options described on the signature page of the user cp says that [ img ] is not allowed. If that's the forums policy, I'm OK with that, but if they can be allowed, that would make me pretty happy (at least for a short time...).

#27 ·
Haha, and therein lies the difference between your Rabbit and my Spitifire. My Spit is IC powered and the trailer is a race tire (plus what ever else you wanna bring to the track) trailer. As such, it has zero hp. :)

#26 ·
Re: Some topic suggestions

I still think the FORUM needs structure, with catagories for each component/task involved in an EV conversion. This way when a person has a question regarding about something in particular, it's easy to go to that topic and look through the postings, or post a question for an answer.

EV Formulas

Battery Education

PWM Controllers

Contactor Controllers

Rectactor Controllers

Motors

Chargers

Battery Balancers

Instrumentation

Open Source Projects

Video's of EV's, Projects in progress, DIY Videos, etc.

Schematics/Drawings

#28 ·
I agree, this site needs more categories. If I may suggest some slightly different category names:

+1 EV Formulas (or maybe "performance predictions" or "EV Calculations")
+1 Battery Education (or "Battery Tech" or "Battery Questions")
+.5 PWM Controllers
+.5 Contactor Controllers
+.5 Rectactor Controllers (what's a rectactor controller)

Maybe these 3 categories could be reduced down to a single controller category and then these 3 types of controllers could be described in the an FAQ board Or, maybe we could have a single controller forum with 3 sub-forums. I know V-Bulletin offers this option, but I don't know if they charge extra for it or anything like that.
+1 Motors
+1 Chargers
+.5 Battery Balancers

Could this be included in the "Battery Education.Tech/Questions" board? Or could this be included in the charger board. I guess balances are included in either situation aren't they? Maybe we could have a "Batteries, Chargers and Balancers" board. I actually think that this would make the most sense as part of the "Battery Education.Tech/Questions" board.
+1 Instrumentation
+.5 Open Source Projects (What's an open source project?)
+2! Video's of EV's, Projects in progress, DIY Videos, etc. (love the vids!)
+1 Schematics/Drawings

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.