DIY Electric Car Forums banner

One more for the pool (or "It's getting crowded on the trampoline")

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Qer 
#1 ·
Well, I took the plunge, or at least I'm on the trampoline. I mailed the truck scrap yard I mentioned earlier in the truck motor thread and asked for a price for a used truck motor that's:

- DC
- About 8" diameter
- At least 20 kW under load
- At least 50 Nm under load
- Preferably have 8 brushes
- Outgoing axle that's thick enough for the motor to be overloaded without it snapping

I wonder if he'll answer me or write me off as a total madman. :D

Now I have to make up my mind about a donor too. S-10 is a favorite, but I'm worried about the power needed to propel it (it'll take loads of batteries).

Volvo 440/460 is another candidate since they're cheap around here, pretty small, not totally brick shaped and there's still plenty of them as a lot of old folks got themselves one when their old trusted Volvo 240 finally broke (we've had at least one generation of die hard "I've always bought Swedish" around here). They usually took good care of them too. Bad side is that they can't take many extra kilos for batteries (otherwise I'll never get it accepted for public roads) + that they rust badly.

A DeLorean would be awesome, but they're so rare and hyped in Sweden that I'd have to sell the house to be able to afford one, so, uh, no thanks. :rolleyes:

Loads to think about. And, of course, I don't know if he'll have a fitting motor to begin with. However, considering these pictures he included in the ad it looks promising:

I mean, among all that clutter there oughtta be a motor for li'l me? :D

See less See more
#3 ·
Good thinking! Didn't think about that myself. :eek:

Now, I'm planning on going 120 or 144 Volt since I have to be able to go at least almost 50 mph to not be a total road block, but if I can get one cheap I could always use a truck controller for testing. But cables are definitely a good idea, they're kinda expensive in these dimensions...

#6 ·
Well, hard to tell. I first thought all of them were trucks, but now that you say it...

I wonder if he has batteries too. No, I don't think running second hand batteries is a good idea since I have a bit to go per charge (I can't do a forkenswift, I need more performance than that) but it could be great for testing.

Well, first he has to answer...

#7 ·
Today I was thinking. Facts:

1. Winter is freezing cold (literally). In about 3 months (+/- 1) of the year the average day temperature is below freezing point with down to -20 degrees Celsius or colder (that's below zero in Farenheit if I calculated correctly) in the nights/mornings.
  2. Lead-acid and seriously below freezing point equals a charge big enough to get to the mail box and back.
  3. Insulating the battery pack threatens my KISS-philosophy for my first EV.
Conclusion: Cab! :D

In a weird way it makes sense, I think. When the temperature makes the car get dangerously close to 80% DoD on a round trip, pick out the batteries and store the car to next spring. Could work. I only see two problems:

1. All cheap cabs in Sweden are old Volkswagen Golf (ugly), Ford Escord (ugly) or Peugeots (UGLY). Althought there's also old Chrysler Le Baron's for reasonable prices, but most of them has automatic transmissions.
  2. I guess the drag due to the non-aerodynamic shape will increase the used power a lot.
Anyone done an EV-cab out there?

Anyway, it all had one good advantage, my gal started to surf for second hand cabs to convert. In fact, she was the one that found the Chrysler Le Baron's. She's got good taste. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.