Planning a 2001 S10 pick-up conversion - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 06:29 PM

Cornelius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Planning a 2001 S10 pick-up conversion

The S-10 is one of the more popular and easier vehicles to convert. That is one of the reasons I chose an S-10 for my first conversion 4 years ago. Pictures of my S-10 are posted in the DIY Garage. Doing plenty of research before you start will help greatly. At the time, I had even less auto repair experience than you do.

The most time consuming part of the process was removing all the ICE parts that are no longer needed. Fabricating the battery racks was the next biggest part. The remainder of the conversion went surprisingly well. I did the conversion in my garage when I had spare time over about a year. Looking back with what I know now, things could have gone much faster. When I started four years ago, there were not the resources available that we have today (such as this site). Back then, I felt like I was out in the wilderness doing my conversion. Today, there is a local EV club (www.suneva.org) in my area, with many people to turn to for input and assistance. See if there is a local group near you. If not, there are always the nice people here to turn to for assistance.

One warning for you: This can get addictive. I currently have a nice GMC Sonoma with a seized engine in my garage awaiting conversion. I need to find an EV 12 step plan...

IMG_0001.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 03:18 PM

FB Performance Trans is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Planning a 2001 S10 pick-up conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor guy View Post
hello
here is how we did our s10, like other memebers have stated there are are many versions of how to do an s10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01JHTZThs0I

this is the video of our truck. dont know how come the sound in not in sync, but you can still get the idea.

i would be glad to answer any questions you might have.

thanks kevin
kevin@topkeelectricmotor.com
Very nice and informative video!

Carl seems to be very knowledgeable and willing to share his expertise.

Thanks for posting that link!

Mike @ FB Performance Transmission
Old 01-11-2011, 06:26 PM

motor guy is on a distinguished road

thanks mike for the compliment. we really enjoy showing it off.
thanks kevin
Old 01-12-2011, 12:27 PM

akaQ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor guy View Post
hello
here is how we did our s10, like other memebers have stated there are are many versions of how to do an s10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01JHTZThs0I

this is the video of our truck. dont know how come the sound in not in sync, but you can still get the idea.

i would be glad to answer any questions you might have.

thanks kevin
kevin@topkeelectricmotor.com
Kevin,

Thank you for sharing this is great and very exciting for me to see. My S10 is almost the same as your except for the year and the 3rd door. I mean I got the same color, extended bed and extended cab. Once I finish removing the ICE and associated parts I may be giving you a call or reaching out to you for more advise.

I got the word from the Mrs. the other day that we don't have the funds for me to be spending on parts and what have you. So, it looks like I will be spending time on the weekends just getting the vehicle ready for the the EV parts.

Thanks again very impressive and inspirational.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Cornelius,

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I haven't even started the project yet and I think I am hooked. But first things first, still do my research and reading through my Haynes book on the S10 so I am familiar enough with the parts to start taking the ICE out.

I look forward to hearing about your Sonoma project and seeing the progress.

I will also look for an EV Club. I think we do have one here in the Denver area and will reach out to the group as well. I look forward to the help from the community. I am thankful this site exists as I am not sure I would have been able to do this on my own like you did back in the day.

Take care,
'Q'
Old 01-12-2011, 12:35 PM

Kevin,

Really thank you for the video and the offer to help out. As I have mentioned before on other post I still need to remove the ICE parts. But I think I will be modeling my project to be similar to yours.

I'll keep in touch,
'Q'
Old 01-12-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrickman View Post
If your looking for 100+ mile range the you going to have to go lithium. Now my 15KW pack gets me 60 mile range but you want to keep your pack from draining more than 70% so I won't drive it more than 50 miles. This is how I look at it anyways. I paid 5k for my battery pack also I don't recommend ordering batteries online I went to the company and picked them up in person. I drove 350 miles to get them but I didn't get riped off either. If you must order them online have them sent C.O.D. if the company will not do that then don't buy them.

Charlie
Charlie,

Thank you for the info and advice. Based on the advise so far and the reading I have been doing it looks like I will have to go lithium.

Also thanks for the documenting your project. I look forward to watching more videos and learning what you did.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:52 PM

motor guy is on a distinguished road

thanks Q

thanks for the compliment, and like i mentioned earlier,dont be affraid to order batteries from carl clark at the electric car co.

give him a call and tell him i told you to call, hes a neat guy.

thanks kevin
topeka electric motor inc.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 PM

dreamer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaQ View Post
Jack,

Do you think there is a way to get a 60 mile range at highway speeds and then charging for a few hours prior to hitting the road again? The family that I will be visiting out of town is about 50+ miles away, I imagine they will let me plug in once I get to their house.

Thanks again,
'Q'
The math to do this just doesn't work. 60 miles range will require at least 15kwh of energy and more likely 20kwh in an S10 at highway speeds. A charger plugged into a typical 110V outlet will not be able to put more than 1.5kwh back into the battery pack per hour it is plugged in. So, unless your visit will be more than 10 hours, you won't be able to recharge enough to get home again. If you could plug into a 220V outlet for a clothes dryer or electric stove, then you might be able to charge at a rate of 6kw or 8kw although the cost of the charger is then going to be very high.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:52 PM

evaddict is on a distinguished road

akaQ,

If you haven't already seen this site, http://evhelp.com/S10_Conversion.htm, has quite a bit of practical information on S10 conversion. He has pictures, parts list, wiring diagrams, etc.

Also, when you start your project, please create a profile here, or in evaddicts (or both) and blog about it!

Share or Bookmark this

Tags
conversion, new ev, planning, s10