DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Planning EV light hatchback

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Archiv3r 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, for the last couple of months i am reshearching how to convert my car into electric one.

my idea was:
- Ford fiesta 1990 (1800lbs = 818kg)
- top speed no more than 90-100 kmh (55-62 mph)
- around 10 Kwh (i hope range is enough for at least 70km at 50kmh)
- budget: without donor car, around 4000 $ (i am wondering is this realistic price ?)

Battery:
I have figured out where to get battery(im taking the LiFePO4 with BMS), planning to have 96 or 120 V with around 8-10 Kwh.

Motor:
I dont know where to get series wound dc motor - any suggestions on which one do i need. i was thinking something like 3500-4000 rpm and around 20 kw?

Adapter plate can be made by my friend so its basicly free
Coupler i hope to find at local hardware store

Controller:
absolutely no idea :/

Btw i am from Europe/Croatia and i would like to save up on shipping rates, so if you know any European online store with international shipping with dc motors let me know.

i am open to any criticism or links that contain something usefull.
thanks

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, for the last couple of months i am reshearching how to convert my car into electric one.

my idea was:
- Ford fiesta 1990 (1800lbs = 818kg)
- top speed no more than 90-100 kmh (55-62 mph)
- around 10 Kwh (i hope range is enough for at least 70km at 50kmh)
- budget: without donor car, around 4000 $ (i am wondering is this realistic price ?)
10kwh will get you your range no problem inside the 80% dod

Battery:
I have figured out where to get battery(im taking the LiFePO4 with BMS), planning to have 96 or 120 V with around 8-10 Kwh.
it will need to be very cheap to come in under $4000 (and tell me where :))

Motor:
I dont know where to get series wound dc motor - any suggestions on which one do i need. i was thinking something like 3500-4000 rpm and around 20 kw?
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/using-forklift-motor-and-choosing-good-7598.html
people have been known to get forklift motors for $200 in reasonable condition

Adapter plate can be made by my friend so its basicly free
Coupler i hope to find at local hardware store

Controller:
absolutely no idea :/
for your budget id go with an alltrax or maybe an old curtis(these r brands)

Btw i am from Europe/Croatia and i would like to save up on shipping rates, so if you know any European online store with international shipping with dc motors let me know.
canEV is a canadian ev shop, theres plenty of ev shops in europe but i dont know any names

i am open to any criticism or links that contain something usefull.
thanks
4k is probably a bit low unless u know someone selling the lithiums dirt cheap, its doable with lead acid though but u wont get the 70km range

#4 ·
@arklan: thank you for your reply.

I was thinking to order batteries from alibaba, there was this supplier that sells 0.65$ per ah, meaning 1 Kwh = 203$.
shipping is cca 500$ for whole package, downside is that they are cells without bms or connection, thats why i might decide to take more expensive already wired battery.

i would love to take some forklift motor but i cannot seem to find them where i live, i don know where to look, and i doubt i ll find some at junkyard.
I think i ll have to order it online from some company or someone.

Cheers

#5 ·
I did a similar conversion in a 1988 ford Festiva, they are good cars to convert BUT the tiny springs/brakes/tires (12") make it a bit of dangerous conversion unless beafing up everything with aftermarket parts. Parts over here are getting very difficult to get since these cars had a very short life.

My conversion was well over double your budgeted price (18 kW lithium, 9" motor). Was running around 250 Wh/mile when driving normally

My 2c

#6 ·
this one has 14" rims, and the spare parts are vast, found in almost every junkyard.

The thing i am uncertain of is rpm of the motor, what is the minimum rpm i should go into. as far as i understand rpm is directed with top speed, but every dc motor i check has max 1800-2000 rpm :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.