DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Possible '92 Ford Ranger project

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  mizlplix 
#1 · (Edited)
So the idea is not to actually convert my pickup but rather to add an electric capability to it. It was originally a two wheel drive and still is but with the exception that it now has a transfer case since I converted it to manual. My thoughts are to attach an electric motor to it so I can have two modes of locomotion.

Now I personally don't have a lot of fabrication or metalworking expertise but I do know people who do (including the guy that gave me the idea). Mostly what I am wondering is if I can do it for ~$1000 and what kind of motor I need. As for range and performance, I figure that can be modified pretty easily whenever I feel(the benefits of a truck bed I guess) and for speed, I figure at least 55 mph just for driving around town, but if 75 can be done cheaply, then heck yes. Any info is much appreciated. I looked around but didn't find anything similar to what I am thinking so I apologize if something related has been posted.

Thanks.

#2 ·
What you are suggesting is a Hybrid. Most factory cars only use electric up to 25 MPH, then switch to ICE power. You will have big problems doing this on your budget. To accelerate and maintain even 50 MPH on electric with the added penalty of carrying around the weight of the original drivetrane will be problematic and require LOTs of batteries.

But that is just my take, Miz.

#3 ·
Hmm, in that case, very roughly of course, what kind of cost would I be looking at for this? It doesn't have to be terribly practical, this is more an interest in doing it for the sake of doing it rather than anything useful. Mostly just an added bonus. That said any of this would be subject to change over the time.

#4 ·
Your single biggest hurdle will be the electric motor interface into the existing ICE drive trane. One or the other is easy. Both....hard.

Most hybrids place the elect. motor after the trans as part of the drive shaft. Gasoline power goes through it when it is shut down. A decent idea.

You need a motor with enough torque to do direct drive duty. A 11" or 13" double shaft motor can do it, but the battery requirements will be great.

When the elect. motor is before the trans, the battery problem gets much better. But the gas motor is now in front. the elect motor second, then trans, then rear axle last. You now need a decoupler between the gas motor and elect motor for when on elect power alone.....

Start thinking.....reading....

#6 ·
if you are in 4 wheel low or high with the trans in neutral, and both front and rear shafts are connected solidly together internally, you are good. Then you could couple the electric motor to the front shaft with the rear shaft going out to the rear axle. Good so far.

Now I wouldnt direct drive the motor. I would do a chain or gilmer (toothed) belt. Figure how fast you want go and gear for that. BUT- the faster you want to go, the bigger the battery pack will have to be.

Example: Gear it for 25 mph total on electric. Use the largest elect. motor you can fit and afford. The battery pack size and voltage will be about managable.

If you wanted 50 MPH, getting there will not be easy. Try taking off in 4th gear sometime, you will understand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.