DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Is it possible to charge a 120VDC pack with a 96V charger?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  eva-michael 
#1 ·
I have a jet electrica with an original 220 volt 96v/12v lester charger. The charger is set to shut off at 122VDC. My question is, if I add 4 batteries to my 96vdc pack will it charge correctly?

#2 ·
Not fully...

With SLA batteries, 12V is just a "number"

The fully charged voltage should be over 13.8V, so 138V for a fully charged pack. Some chargers (and batteries) are +/- that figure, but 122V would only "charge" them to 12.2V each. I don't think it'd be enough to fully charge them.

#6 ·
There is no practical way to change the voltage of a Lestronic charger. They are a ferroresonant charger. This regulates the output voltage and limit peak current while maintaining a decent power factor on the AC line. All the Jet Electras I've seen came with Lestronic charger (they do make other types.) This is about the best short description I've seen in a while: Ferroresonant regulators

I have heard of people doubling the output voltage by switching the output from a 2 diode center tapped secondary to a bridge rectifier. Aside from that trick, the output voltage will remain quite stable. A 120 volt pack would require at least 140 volts to charge. There are a few Lestronic II chargers out there for 120 volt systems . I sold one with the Rabbit Pickup I converted. If buying a brand new charger there are many choices available. If you are using flooded batteries I recommend using a charger with an isolated output (like those tough old Lesters.)

If anybody has a busted Lestronic charger they are generally repairable, the manufacturer is U.S. based and supports their older products. (please don't go tossing good ferroresonant transformers)

#7 ·
I have a jet electrica with an original 220 volt 96v/12v lester charger. The charger is set to shut off at 122VDC. My question is, if I add 4 batteries to my 96vdc pack will it charge correctly?
8S 12V total 96V SLA batteris need max DC 117.6V and 12S 12V total 144V SLA batteris need max DC 176.4V. This indicates that your charger will be quite less than what 12S SLA request.
P.S. We supply chargers for LiFePO4, Lead acid, Li ion. And we have a lot of models for your selection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.