Powerglide Secrets EVers Should Know - Page 3 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2008, 12:33 PM

waldoz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Powerglide Secrets EVers Should Know

So what is the best year to get? I have seen a few used ones from 60 to $300. Just wondering to see whats out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008, 12:55 PM

Jimdear2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldoz View Post
So what is the best year to get? I have seen a few used ones from 60 to $300. Just wondering to see whats out there.
Best bet is to buy a book like easoneason did. They usually cover the available OEM variations. They came with various gear ratios and tailshaft housing lengths, with different input shaft splines for different torque converters, with and without rear pump, fluid cooled and (shudder) air cooled. The books usually tell you what to look for.

The thing is that every piece used in powerglides has multiple choices available in the hot rod/drag race community. You can build anything from stock to a monster that can handle a 1000 HP.

Whatever you do, unless your are building something very light, stay away from the air cooled PGs (they dont have cooler line fittings)

As yoo can tell, I just love glides.
Have fun
Jim
Old 11-06-2008, 07:17 PM

order99 is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...very light as in, say- an EV Trike, fighting weight possibly a half-ton or less? A City-El mod or perhaps a Trimuter kit?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:32 AM

installerjack is on a distinguished road

In my Chevelle Powerglide that I built, I have the cooler lines plugged up and heat is not a problem. A race Powerglide builder in Texas where I get my part says that because I have my stator support cut way back, I do not need the cooler lines.
Also, I have one golf cart 6V battery(which is part of my controller) that keeps the motor turning when I let of the gas pedal. It comes to an idle when I turn the key on.
It keeps the pressue up and shifts fine from neutral to low. I used to just bump the 12V to get pressure up and then go, but with the idle, it is much more like a regular vehicle.
If there are any other questions I can help with, just ask,
Jack.
poormansev.com
I wish someone made a little bitty powerglide for my electric harley!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:15 AM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough

How fast do you idle the motor to keep pressure up? Do you know how much power this costs you? How much lag time did you have with the old system?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
How fast do you idle the motor to keep pressure up? Do you know how much power this costs you? How much lag time did you have with the old system?
Something I guss that didn't come through from earlier posts by several. A small high pressure electric gear pump like a fuel injection in inline pump and an inline reverse flow check valve, mounted in or with the trans and plumbed into the main pressuure test port. Pump is switched on under coast and/or stop. This should maintain enough pressure to make this thing work fine. Power consumption of course depends on the pump specs and how you want to use it. You might want to port vacuum ti the modulator at idle as that lowers the required pressure if you want to stay fully automatic. A good trans guy could set this up pretty fast.

With this set up you could stay fully automatic and still not need a torque converter just a pump drive. Play with the pressures and valving and you could make it stay in low until 50 mph or so then automatically shift into high and then downshift below 50 mph. I think you would just need to lock down the "passing gear" lever on the gearshift input shaft when you were in drive and adjust intenal pressures to soften up the shifts.

I beleive one of the hybrids uses just that pump system for their "automatic"

installerjack

Look at a Honda 750 with Torque converter and two speed dog clutch gear, manually shifted trans. Bet you could cut the engine Off the trans case (actually I know you can, we've done it) and use the rest on your Harley. Have to grind off the Honda names though

Neat stuff.

Jim
Old 11-09-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdear2 View Post
Something I guss that didn't come through from earlier posts by several. A small high pressure electric gear pump like a fuel injection in inline pump and an inline reverse flow check valve, mounted in or with the trans and plumbed into the main pressuure test port. Pump is switched on under coast and/or stop.
I understood that and realize it's a good idea, my questions were directed at installerjacks previous post where he idled the motor. I just wondered about the details I asked about above.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:42 PM

JRP2

Sorry if I came across heavy handed. My interpersonal skills never were worth squat.

I'm just so up about wanting to see this work and knowing I personally can't do it, I get excited as I see people geting closer or as I see it (I have a perfect picture in my mind) farther away. I just have to pop off.

Just my nature, don't mean anything by it.

Still want mommy to buy me an AMPphibian. When I finish my puller I"m going to go look for one. They seem light enough I could work on them.

Jim
Old 11-09-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdear2 View Post
JRP2

Sorry if I came across heavy handed. My interpersonal skills never were worth squat.
Not at all, I took nothing personal from your post, just wanted to set the record straight so installerjack might answer me.
However, I take offense that you've demoted me from JRP3 to JRP2!
Old 11-09-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
. . . . you've demoted me from JRP3 to JRP2!
You've got that wrong, I just moved you closer to perfection which is zero defects.

Wont buy that huh. Well ok then I'm sorry , please please master don't beat me.

Sorry,
Jim

Share or Bookmark this