Powerglide Secrets EVers Should Know - Page 6 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011, 05:10 AM

mizlplix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Powerglide Secrets EVers Should Know

John: A 1963 Pontiac Tempest also Had a rear transaxle, some were powerglides. The motor was in the front and drove it with a very small/rigid driveshaft.

Also some Porches were front engine with a rear transaxle.

Just a thought.

Miz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 06:53 AM

UPDATE:

A manual shift/direct drive powerglide works in an EV really well! I have gotten about 100 miles on mine at this writing.

It weighs 75 lbs.- my T-5 manual weighed 88 Lbs. (plus clutch/flywheel/linkage)

Things I have discovered:

1-They are easy to work with and on.
2-They can not be "idled" when a direct drive coupler is used.
3-Mine ran 170 deg. F. after an hour driving in 109 Deg. F. temps.
4-It works with Regen braking just fine. The clutch/band stays locked all the way down to zero shaft speed.(then a 2-3 second delay until it drops pressure and goes to neutral.)
5-I used a 140 PSI pump, but you might get by with 80 Lbs or so.
6- For EV use, do NOT use Kevlar in the frictions. You can really use the stock-factory parts OR use the RED or BLUE racing friction parts. Kevlar only accelerates wear because it is aggressive.
7-Do NOT use an aluminum front drum, the low band wears them fast.
8-DO use a steel front hub.
9-DO use the rear clutch case savers (made for trans brake duty). It is just good sense and stops case wear for the reverse clutches.
10-DO remove reverse clutches. Run 2 on a light car(2500# or less), run 3 on all others. It reduces friction,wear, heat while in forward gears.
11-There are several small holes to drill out to increase oil flow to critical areas. Get a book.
12-No need to change to a turbo type input shaft for strength.
13-you can eliminate the "kick down" lever and rod, as you dont want a "passing gear drop down when driving an EV."
14-Always loop the cooler circuit. It lubricates a less critical portion of the transmission that the main pressure gallery omits. Only eliminate the loop if you are changing the valve body or really know what you are doing.
15-There is not a single port to supply to both forward and reverse from an external pump. I am plumbed into the low band apply servo cover. I do not have pressure in reverse and must apply throttle a little until it clunks into gear...annoying for sure.

I need to rebuild my Glide this winter and will search for the correct place to pressurise the trans to have both forward and reverse gearing.

Those "air cooled" powerglides may be a better choice for an EV, especially if you are direct coupled. The torque converter makes 80% of the transmission heat. The low gear planetary makes most of the rest.

I like the 1.85 gearing for my purposes. It is lighter duty than the 1.72 version, but my usage is way with in the GM normal standards.

All the 4 and 6 cylinder applications and some of the 283 cars are 1.85 gearing. All the 327 and up V-8 applications are 1.72 gearing.

They can be told externally by the output shaft splines and the shaft diameter is smaller in the 1.85 versions...but they both use the same output yoke....go figure...

In my area, on Craigslist, I routinely find powerglides for $150-$400 or so, depending on the condition or if it was recently rebuilt.

More when I go into the trans....Miz
Old 07-21-2012, 07:51 AM

Jimdear2 is on a distinguished road

MIZ,

Thanks for following through and building and posting the process of what I knew, but health prevented me from proving.

A Powerglide would be a very good solution for EV converters.

I have found it amazing that people are afraid of automatics because they don't understand how planetary gear sets and clutch packs work. This is truly amazing because a lot of these same people understand how a PWM controller works.

Here you have a transmission that has all of the things an EVer needs
Light weight
Strong
Two speeds forward
A reverse
A park
So many aftermarket parts that a new trans can be built from scratch.

It really makes me feel good to see what I couldn't do myself done and working.

Thanks,
Jim

In memory of my wife and her wheelie tractor,

Jim
Old 07-21-2012, 07:55 AM

Arlo is on a distinguished road

Cool thanks for this thread guys.
The funnest thing I have built. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIsuU6LhDIE
Old 07-21-2012, 10:48 AM

RET is on a distinguished road

It would be nice to see a video of the changes and prep that needs to be done to make the PG work with electric . I think more people would use them if they really understood how to make them work .

I agree this thread is great information when I do my car I will be doing a PG for sure.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:41 AM

zanktwo is on a distinguished road

KansasEV look this up
Old 07-21-2012, 07:12 PM

Kansas EV has a nice unit. There is a small time delay getting one and a large cost. This is mine, I have less than $500 in it.

Direct drive

With an external pump

Miz
Old 07-22-2012, 04:56 AM

LithiumaniacsEVRacing can only hope to improve
Lightbulb Re: Powerglide Secrets EVers Should Know

Powerglides are great transmissions, but remember you will end up with 1:1 in your final gear, so your rear diff ring and pinion should fit your max speed you need. They are better suited for higher rpm motors.
Enzo Ferrari "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races".
Old 07-22-2012, 07:02 AM

DISCLAIMER: I am not discussing vehicle current draw, just vehicle driveability.

Ron brings up a critical point.

Pretty much all vehicles are dependent on the motor's top rpm and the car's final drive ratio.

As Ron said- My 2,000# car and 32" tire likes a 6.14 gear and the AC50's top RPM (6500+). It works by having a 2,000# car and the RPM to give a good top speed.

A powerglide will also work on a torque brute like the Warp 11 or 13, in a similar car. When they are geared for their top RPM the final drive works out to be a shorter 3.55-4.10 (depending on tire size). This combination works by having enough torque to cover the bottom end.

The powerglide would be a poor choice for a smaller motor (AC or DC), or a heavy vehicle (3,500 Lbs and up) or hilly country if you want a top speed over 40 MPH.

Heavy haul trucks have an 18 speed transmission for a reason. To suit the motor torque to the hill and vehicle weight. Electric power is a lot like Diesel power, it has good torque over a narrow RPM band. Gear accordingly or you will be disappointed.

Ivansgarage is building a GMC Sonoma. He is using the original 4L60E transmission. It will work nicely in the truck which will be 3,500Lbs and up in weight. It is still converterless and retains the automatic shift features.

The water cooled AC motor being mocked up with the 4L60E transmission.

The motor specs are not public yet, but it is about 1/3 over an AC50 in torque. This and the 4 speeds will make this a really nice driving combination.

You can kill a nice install by "cheap skating" the gearing. (Trying to make do with what is in the vehicle.)

Everything is in the gearing for your situation.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:28 AM

EVfun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumaniacsEVRacing View Post
Powerglides are great transmissions, but remember you will end up with 1:1 in your final gear, so your rear diff ring and pinion should fit your max speed you need. They are better suited for higher rpm motors.
That is a good point. Most street EVs currently out there would be happiest with final drive ratios between 4.5 to 1 and 6 to one. Racing uses taller (numerically lower) gears to keep the motor drawing peak power but street use favors more rpm when going down a freeway.

Share or Bookmark this