Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 06:39 AM

Mark C is on a distinguished road
Default Re: powerglide transmission modification?

Just a quick question that I haven't seen asked yet {at least here}. Do you still have a parking pawl in a modified powerglide so that would work like a typical 'glide equipped ICE mobile when parked?

I like the idea of retaining the parking pawl, even though years of driving USAF vehicles has engrained the notion of using the park brake every time a vehicle is parked before you exit the vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 06:53 AM

RET is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizlplix View Post
You will find their transmission is pricey....

Most will buy a TCI Oval transmission from someone like
Jeg's :http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/742011...rentProductId=

A pump: SUREFLOW 8030-813-239

It is both faster and cheaper.

ANd never look back....

Miz
Thanks mizlplix it looks like a breeze , I really think this is the way I will go with my conversion , it's simple , inexpensive and a tough trans.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:08 PM

mizlplix will become famous soon enough

Mine was built by TCI originally and yes it has a parking pawl
Old 06-26-2012, 04:52 PM

Bowser330 is on a distinguished road

do you think that 1000$ one form jegs will work the way it is with a Warp11hv? would it need any additional modification besides an adapter to mate the trans and motor?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 PM

You will need to put the gear back on the output shaft, and the "barrel" back in the hole in the side so the speedometer will work.

Other than that, The external pump for precharge. It will shut off when the trans internal pump starts working.

Yes, it works well, Feels positive and it is easy to literally inch forwards if you are near something.

Or stomp on it and hang on. The shift up or down is instant. No lags.

My powerglide weighs less than the T-5 5speed I took out.

Miz
Old 06-27-2012, 04:42 PM

TomA is on a distinguished road

Miz, I see that a 2.18 planetary is available for the PG over the more usual 1.82, but they are pricey.

Swapping that in should yield lower RPMs, and allow a 5.14 R&P for the same performance in your case, but with the lower motor speeds, especially in that 30-45 MPH daily drive range, it could result in a nearly always one speed (light) car with a 4.71 or even 4.30 rear, with great highway driveability (lower noise, better motor torque curve) in top gear at typical highway speeds.

Other than the cost of the 2.18 planetary, is there any reason not do do that?

TomA

Last edited by TomA; 06-27-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Typos...
Old 06-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Amperage.

The AC50 runs cheaper at 6500 than 3500 (at the same vehicle speed)

It is the reverse of what an ICE does. (They need to be geared down to a lower speed.)

*-I am running with no wind, few stops and no hills or grades.

So, it would be no real advantage to me to invest in a lower first gear.

If that were so, I would have kept the T-5 5 speed that was in the car. I would have only used two gears there, in my local. BUT, If I lived in hilly terrain, the close together ratios might have been of some use.

Miz
Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM

EXAMPLE: My old Jet Electrica liked 3200 RPM, third gear to cruise in. If I up shifted to fourth it lowered the motor RPM's, BUT it raised the motor AMP draw.
So, I went back to third gear and 3,200 RPM's.

If you use a hand held electric grinder rated at 10 amps and pressed hard to lower it to half speed, you can pop the circuit breaker from over amping the circuit. A too of a high gear in an EV is the same thing. Let the motor run in it's comfy spot. It will be cooler, less amp draw and easier on equipment.

Miz
Old 06-30-2012, 01:38 AM

TomA is on a distinguished road

OK, I get it, that only works when the car is very light with a small cross-sectional area, and you don't need torque to keep it moving. I wasn't talking about your car specifically, but what to do with the motor/gearbox combination you have if it was under considerably more load.

The same AC50/PG RWD drivetrain in a larger 3000lb car (HPEVS's max rating for the motor, and a typical FE/RWD build) is going to run out of torque long before 6500RPM, especially at 130V, so I was thinking the way to get the motor back into its powerband on the highway in a heavier car is a taller rear end gear ratio, and then get the lower gear performance back (and the amperage back down) by widening the two ratios in the glide by swapping from a 1.82 low to a 2.18 low.

I'm asking because I want to know, not to be a PITA. Do you think you would have any pedal left over 4000RPM if you had a car that weighed double and had to push more air around than yours does? I'm thinking that the primary issue with a bigger car would be trying to keep as much as possible of the AC50's 130ft/lb max torque available at the speeds you'd need it in with each gear, like from 5-35mph in low and 25-60 in high. Spreading the ratios in the PG and switching to a taller rear axle ratio does that. That's what I was trying to ask, anyway...

It seems from what you're saying that so long as the motor has enough torque to keep the car moving, a higher steady rpm is generally better. I get that, but the AC 50 doesn't have much torque, and it falls away quickly like every other electric motor north of 3500rpm without high voltage to overcome the BEMF, and the Curtis 1238 can't deliver high voltage. So, unless the car is really light, the motor is done making good power by 4000, and from there to the 6500 cruising RPM would would be a long wait in a heavier EV. I was actually thinking about how to get the AC50's powerband spread wider across the two available 'glide ratios, and brought up into average road speeds, in order to keep the motor from going gutless in a heavier car below highway speeds. Maybe getting up to cruise doesn't take as much torque as I thought.

Am I making any sense?

Last edited by TomA; 06-30-2012 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Changed weight of example car to more reasonable 3000lb...
Old 06-30-2012, 07:28 AM

Hi, Tom:

Yes, you are clear in your thoughts.

Vehicles in general all go by the same principles. A class "A" heavy-haul truck has an 18 speed transmission for a reason-to match the motors torque band to the load and the hill to get the top speed in every situation.

SO, in the case of a heavier car, a powerglide with an AC50 is not a good choice, even with a different rear gear or low gear. With only two gears available, you would have sucky over all performance.

One way to fix this is to have a bigger motor for the load.

Another way to fix this is to have more and even spaced- gears in the transmission.

Still another way is to lose the extra weight.

SO, your car of 3,500+ lbs , the weight is fixed, the motor is wimpy and your transmission needs more gears for it to drive what I call "Normally".

Back to AC50 torque curve. Forget the torque chart. In a car of 2500# the motor accelerates nicely right up to 7000 RPMs and only then gets mushy and slows down when reaching for the 8000 mark. The chart is a little deceiving.

I have "seat of the pants" experience with 3000#-4000# cars, I extrapolate the AC50/glide to be a lot slower but will stay up with slower traffic. (VW beetles and loaded tractor rigs) But not pleasant.

If I were building one, I would use a T-5 5 speed transmission with an AC50, OR a direct driven 4 speed automatic as others have done.

OR go to a DC system with at least 3 gears, but you still have that car weight problem to deal with.

To build a nice EV, you need to observe 3 things: Lowest weight, rock hard tires, largest battery pack you can afford and lastly, transmission gearing to adapt it to the terrain where you live.

Miz
Sponsored Links

Share or Bookmark this