DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Pump motor

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dcbusman 
#1 ·
Need some advise on a forklift hyd. pump motor Ive found, this is all thats on the tag... 36-48V Type 75AA Part Number 8620081 Serial # 32276 AU2201.
Its about 14" long and 7" in diameter, it still has the pump attached to which is a bonus ( for the male spline ) I plan on using this motor in an electric motorcycle, any thoughts ?

#2 ·
You will have fun with the drive shaft!
How much does it weigh?
It sounds like it would be too small for a car but OK for a motorbike,
Think in terms of 144v and 500 amps
It won't be able to take that for long - but it should be able to get you to the speed where you have to back off pretty smartly

Gearing is going to be key
Too high a gear will reduce acceleration and overheat the motor
Too low and your top speed will be low

#3 ·
Hi Duncan, the guy reckons it weighs about 45kgs, its in Timaru so hopefully I can get down there on Sunday, do you know what rotation this motor would be ? If the XS11 shaft drive proves to be a problem I will convert it to chain or belt drive, Ive built custom swingarms before.

#4 ·
Hi
Not a clue about the rotation! - but you could always just invert the motor and have the chain on the other side

There are two things that could make that motor nearly useless
(1) - Compound wound not series
See if you can see the field coil windings - a series motor will have thick copper
(2) If the brushes are not up to it
You should be OK there - if there are four setts of brushes (90 degrees apart) then you are almost certainly good

45Kg is good!

One other problem - is there a fan? and holes to get the air through?
If not you may be able to machine some holes to get extra cooling

#5 ·
The other thing to look out for with the motor shaft is that if could also be a tang drive. That's where the end of the shaft doesn't protrude but just has a slot in it like a slotted screw head. That makes it next to useless for trying to couple anything up to it.

The pump motor I picked up isn't useful. It is a compound or shunt wind and has a tiny stump of a shaft with a rubber 'lovejoy' type coupling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.