Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Batteries and Charging

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 05:25 PM

quickcharge is on a distinguished road
Default Quick Charge Corp. Chargers

I thought this thread might be helpful as to what can and cannot be expected from our chargers, and for those who might be having trouble.

Models rated at 120, and 144 volt outputs have had some revisions, and we continue to refine and improve them. We can also address issues with lower voltage models if there are any.

What you should know:

Our 10 or 12 amp model will not satisfactorily charge a battery rated over 150 amps no matter how long you leave it on. These are only opportunity chargers for batteries over that size, instead, A minimum 20 amp should be used. However, if the display freezes for long periods of time, and has a date code of earlier than 11/08 it needs a revision. We will do this at no charge and return the charger freight prepaid. These models should satisfactorily charge batteries rated at 65-125 amp hour.

20 amp with 230 volt input models that have no fan need to be returned for a new model with fan. Or, if you can provide proof of purchase we don't even need it returned, we will send you a new model at no charge.

The % of charge indicator is not an indication of the % of charge in the battery, it is more an indication of completion of the charge cycle. Small chargers on big batteries will have to start from a lower point than might be expected after only a small discharge, but they are not meant to fully charge the battery anyway.

We believe these chargers will do a satisfactory job for the EV market, but more importantly want to make sure no customer is mislead or disappointed with our products. Hopefully this will add some clarity to what you can expect. Furthermore, feel free to contact us by
E-Mail quickcharge@icnet.net or phone 800 658-2841 M-F.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Ray Santilli

If allowed, I would appreciate a moderator making this a sticky thread. And I will try and update it with technical info ONLY if needed. This is not an advertisement.

Last edited by quickcharge; 08-16-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2009, 08:38 PM

elevatorguy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quick Charge Corp. Chargers

Is some kind of RA number needed to return a charger/s for a fan upgrade? Is the shipping paid?
Thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 09:01 PM

PM Sent .
Old 08-16-2009, 07:01 PM

HotRodder is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the Post Ray,

I don't want to follow up with hate mail so I'll try and say this nicely in spite of my disappointment with the product you mentioned.

I wish I would have been told this when I was buying a charger from your staff. Invoice number 52087 on 04/07/09.

http://www.quickcharge.com/Select-a-...ON%20BOARD.htm

I ordered my SCO14410 directly from your company and was told that it would in fact charge my T-1275, 144 volt, 150 amp pack. Also that it would do it overnight. I'm certainly no expert but even 150 amps might be to much now that I have used it some. No one ever used the term "opportunity charger" when I called in April and that information is not mentioned on the web site either. I have always tried to buy American and that is why I did not take the advice of two of the EV companies that recommended different chargers.

Looking back, I guess I should have known better so shame on me. No hard feelings. I write it off to tough economic times.

I appreciate your coming clean here and wish your company the best of luck in the future. You may want to edit the web site to reflect this new information. Thanks again for your time. Don Stamper

Anybody need a like new, 10 amp, 144 volt Quick Charge unit? Cheap!

Last edited by HotRodder; 08-16-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:53 PM

There's not a problem here.

Sorry about the wrong information. I would say it would take closer to 15 hours if the batteries were pretty dead.

In any case nobody gets "stuck" with our products if they're not satisfied. As stated above. Ship it back with a copy of that invoice. Also include per this communication that you would like credit and I'll give you a full refund. Include your contact information.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:06 PM

HotRodder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickcharge View Post
There's not a problem here.

Sorry about the wrong information. I would say it would take closer to 15 hours if the batteries were pretty dead.

In any case nobody gets "stuck" with our products if they're not satisfied. As stated above. Ship it back with a copy of that invoice. Also include per this communication that you would like credit and I'll give you a full refund. Include your contact information.

Your a good man Ray. I would prefer to trade up to the 20 amp model if I can. Please see my P.M. I'll call tomorrow and set it up. Many thanks. Don Stamper
Old 08-26-2009, 02:28 AM

tj4fa is on a distinguished road

Great company and even greater customer and tech support.

I've had some issues with the 144V/10A On-Board charger unit trying to charge my 220Ah (24ea - 6v) battery pack and Ray Santilli was right there to help me work through them even sending out a replacement unit the next day so that I wouldn't be inconvenienced.

I've since purchased a 230V/20A unit as my primary overnight charger (haven't wired it up yet-maybe needs a fan upgrade?) and plan on continuing to use the On-Board 144V/10A charger to get a quick opportunity charge at work to top off the batteries on days where I think I will need some extra range.

I did have to wire in a dedicated 20A/12AWG circuit to support the charger against my big 220Ah pack as the charger would often pull more than 15A on start-up (more like 17A) and pop a 15A/14AWG breaker/branch circuit.

I still have a nagging thought that the factory-connected 14AWG pigtail cord on the On Board charger may need to be upsized by Quick Charge to 12AWG to support the heavier demands against the 120-144V units.

Whatever the case, I have complete confidence and personal experience that Quick Charge and Ray Santilli stands behind their products and does what it takes to make things right regardless of a few hickups here and there along the way.

Sincerely,
Terry Forfa
TJ4FA

Last edited by tj4fa; 08-26-2009 at 05:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-26-2009, 08:32 AM

CPLTECH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj4fa View Post

I still have a nagging thought that the factory-connected 14AWG pigtail cord on the On Board charger may need to be upsized by Quick Charge to 12AWG to support the heavier demands against the 120-144V units.
My guess is that the 14ga is OK unless you find it getting warm.
I was unable to find the NEC Code, but as I remember their ampere ratings are for a standard length of 75 ft of wire & must be derated if over that. Therefore a 14ga is good for a 15A circuit, 12 for a 20A circuit. But since the cord is very short, the resistance to electrical flow is a lot lower than a 75ft cord. I remember some machines having properly sized NEC wiring to them, but once inside the mfg went one size smaller. Again it is 6, not 75.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj4fa View Post
Great company and even greater customer and tech support.

I've had some issues with the 144V/10A On-Board charger unit trying to charge my 220Ah (24ea - 6v) battery pack and Ray Santilli was right there to help me work through them even sending out a replacement unit the next day so that I wouldn't be inconvenienced.

I've since purchased a 230V/20A unit as my primary overnight charger (haven't wired it up yet-maybe needs a fan upgrade?) and plan on continuing to use the On-Board 144V/10A charger to get a quick opportunity charge at work to top off the batteries on days where I think I will need some extra range.

I did have to wire in a dedicated 20A/12AWG circuit to support the charger against my big 220Ah pack as the charger would often pull more than 15A on start-up (more like 17A) and pop a 15A/14AWG breaker/branch circuit.

Whatever the case, I have complete confidence and personal experience that Quick Charge and Ray Santilli stands behind their products and does what it takes to make things right regardless of a few hickups here and there along the way.

Sincerely,
Terry Forfa
TJ4FA

Thanks for the comments Terry. The 14 awg is good up to around 15-16 amps which is what the charger should pull fully loaded, yes it will get warm, but is OK. If you do use an extension cord, make it 12 gauge to prevent voltage drop.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:23 AM

sheltydog is on a distinguished road

Great! A thread concerning Quick Charge chargers!

About two months ago I was finishing up my commuter, a 1985 Pontiac Fiero. I had been using a "bad boy" charger, using a Harbor Freight router controller and a big bridge rectifier. I burned up two variations of this unit as I was unable to watch it constantly and it would "run away," smoking the rectifier and the router controller (fortunately, no fires.) I needed something that would work right every time, as I was unable to keep my eye on the charger while I was at work.

I got an SCO9612 and it has worked flawlessly. Now, my pack consists of 16 12-volt deep cycle batteries from WalMart wired in series-parallel; it is rated at 230 amp-hours. I know that Quick Charge doesn't recommend that I use the charger for a pack greater than 150 amp-hours, but I had little choice as my outlet at work won't provide more than 120 volts at 20 amps. Despite this, the charger still performs fine. I need to replace 8 KWH for my trip back, and the charger delivers this in 9 hours.

As of today I have made 33 round trips to work and back for a total of 66 charge cycles. The way this unit is built, it will out-live me. If only I could say the same for the batteries!
Sponsored Links

Share or Bookmark this