Report on WalMart Maxx 29 Batteries - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Batteries and Charging

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2008, 09:02 AM

84bertone is on a distinguished road
Default Report on WalMart Maxx 29 Batteries

Thought I would post an update on the Walmart Maxx 29's that I am using. I have 8 of them in a 2340 lb (total weight) car for 96 volts. Almost all of the mileage is about 10 miles total at any one time with a couple of times out to 20-22 miles. And yes I could go further.

Based on that type of use, I have recharged them about 40 times over the course of 2-3 months. I recharge them individually directly after each use, with a 6 amp charger.

So far they are doing just fine. In fact, they seem to have gotten stronger. That could be a result of cooler weather. They all still read within one tenth of a volt of each other.

Granted, this is not a long term test just yet, so I may wind up being disappointed as some have said about the Maxx 29's. But so far so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 09:50 AM

DONEAL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Report on WalMart Maxx 29 Batteries

84bertone
what was the cost? and the weight? eight 12 v at 2340, that must be total weight ev and batteries?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:58 AM

The batteries were $74 each for a total cost of $592. They weigh 65lbs each. Yes, that is the total weight of the car, batteries, all components, everything. 2,340 lbs. Fairly light for an EV conversion and still under the Max GVWR for the car so did not have to do any thing to the suspension.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:15 PM

TheSGC is on a distinguished road

I haven't finished my EV yet, but I have the MAXX29s. I am wondering if you have the Exide or Johnson Controls version of the Maxx29. While I haven't done anything more than drive up and down the driveway, I am pleased with them so far. I have individual 6 AMP chargers for each battery and they seem to charge them nicely.

What speed were those miles at? I am hoping for a 32 mile range at 40 MPH. But I am trying to get a charge at my destination and hope to take that down to 16-17 miles per charge.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:26 PM

gmijackso is on a distinguished road

Please keep us updated on your findings with these batteries. I'm considering them for my project. They're the same price as some golf cart batteries locally, but the Maxx batteries have a longer warranty. I'm very interested in how they hold up, and how the warranty goes if you should have any problems.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:41 PM

What speed were those miles at? I am hoping for a 32 mile range at 40 MPH. But I am trying to get a charge at my destination and hope to take that down to 16-17 miles per charge.

Most of it is around the 30-40 mph range with a couple of runs at 50-55 mph. I have twice run for better than 12 miles at 50-55 mph in 4th gear with no problem. I can readily go 25-30 miles at at 30-40 mph. I do drive easy and watch the amps closely.

You did not state what voltage or how many batteries you plan to use or how much weight your ev is. With my setup, I can easily go 16-17 miles and still have plenty left.

I was told that batteries like to be bulk charged. I personally do not believe that and these Maxx 29's respond well to individual charging as you plan to do. As I stated, they still read within one tenth of 1volt. So they are still well equalized.

Since the Maxx 29's are not true deep cycle, golf cart type batteries, I think that the best possible care for them will prevail for the long run.

Some folks have not been happy with these for EV use. All I can do is report my own experience with them and so far they are doing well.

I have the Exide version batteries but I doubt that there is little if any difference between the two versions.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84bertone View Post

Most of it is around the 30-40 mph range with a couple of runs at 50-55 mph. I have twice run for better than 12 miles at 50-55 mph in 4th gear with no problem. I can readily go 25-30 miles at at 30-40 mph. I do drive easy and watch the amps closely.

You did not state what voltage or how many batteries you plan to use or how much weight your ev is. With my setup, I can easily go 16-17 miles and still have plenty left.

I was told that batteries like to be bulk charged. I personally do not believe that and these Maxx 29's respond well to individual charging as you plan to do. As I stated, they still read within one tenth of 1volt. So they are still well equalized.

Since the Maxx 29's are not true deep cycle, golf cart type batteries, I think that the best possible care for them will prevail for the long run.

Some folks have not been happy with these for EV use. All I can do is report my own experience with them and so far they are doing well.

I have the Exide version batteries but I doubt that there is little if any difference between the two versions.

I am having a 96 volt system like yours and an estimated 2500 lbs of EV. I seem to be the only person with the Johnson Controls Maxx29 version. So from your finds so far, my 32 mile range goal isn't impossible. And I do drive back roads and slowly. I also have a good 2 or 3 miles of drive that I am lucky if I get past 25 MPH due to inner city traffic.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:37 PM

TexasCotton is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Report on WalMart Maxx 29 Batteries

Nice post on using super Wally world's as a battery supply. Did you pay core cost too? I have been curious and wonder if you could by in quantity from Wal Mart, AutoZone, and PeP Boys? I did have a Maxx battery on my 1997 Ford Ranger and lasted about 4 1/2 years.

Last edited by TexasCotton; 10-28-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCotton View Post
Nice post on using super Wally world's as a battery supply. Did you pay core cost too? I have been curious and wonder if you could by in quantity from Wal Mart, AutoZone, and PeP Boys? I did have a Maxx battery on my 1997 Ford Ranger and lasted about 4 1/2 years.
I had to go to three Wally Worlds to get mine because none carried enough. I bought one for testing, and then went back two more times to different stores because one had two batteries and the other had the last 5 i needed. And damn, the back of our minivan was riding low.....
Old 10-28-2008, 03:57 PM

No, I did not pay core cost because I had 8 old batteries collected through the years. Yes, I bought all 8 at the same Wal-Mart and they still had one left.

I have to add some important info on my conversion that may be of some significance. I purchased tires that allow me to keep them at 50 psi and I use Amsoil sythetic oil in the gearbox. I do not have hills to contend with. Also, I have a small 12 volt battery for all accessories so they do not draw anything off the pack.

I am having a 96 volt system like yours and an estimated 2500 lbs of EV. I seem to be the only person with the Johnson Controls Maxx29 version. So from your finds so far, my 32 mile range goal isn't impossible. And I do drive back roads and slowly. I also have a good 2 or 3 miles of drive that I am lucky if I get past 25 MPH due to inner city traffic.

Well, with what you describe, I think you may be able to do it. Careful driving is important. Easy starts, coasting, and such.

Share or Bookmark this