Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 06:26 PM

toddshotrods is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Schism Hybrid Hot Rod (the Tailfeather Project reincarnated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
It just keeps getting better. I'm at the edge of my seat...
Thanks Joey! We're just getting warmed up.

Quote:
...Question: The fiberglass resin can in the seat photos looks like bondo brand. Is it polyester resin? Is it much different than epoxy resin I've used on small boats? I want to make a few fiberglass parts for my car...
Epoxy should be much better quality, and often has a longer working time. Cheap polyester (like that Bondo) resin is more forgiving of incorrect mixing ratios (allowing me to purposely alter it for certain tasks), but has a narrow window of working time. The other drawback is that it is much more heat sensitive than a decent epoxy. I think it starts to lose the battle at around 140-degrees, making it one of the reasons fiberglass gets a bad rap sometimes. A cheap fiberglass fender in the weather we've been having here in Ohio, in the sun, might be a different shape by the end of the day.

I use polyester for prototyping and roughing parts in, because it's cheap. Most of these parts will end up in the dumpster, and we can control the environment in the shop, so no sense wasting money on expensive resin for them.

Quote:
...Keep up the good work, and I hope you provide beer or equivalent for your crew after a hard week of work in the heat.
You're saying we should actually do something to thank them?! Just kidding! We find creative ways to show our appreciation, including food and drink.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM

madmike8 is on a distinguished road

That looks cool Todd. I wish I had CAD skills

I'm waiting on Epoxy right now. Easy choice for me. I'm allergic to the polyester.

Of course I'm still floored by all the "hammered" metal parts you have. Kinda like a modern day blacksmith building his horseless carriage.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike8 View Post
That looks cool Todd. I wish I had CAD skills ...
Thanks Mike. The funny thing is I actually learned it because I couldn't find someone dependable to model one stinkin, simple, part for me! A lot of my personal skills were acquired that way, because I wasn't patient enough to wait..

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike8 View Post
...Of course I'm still floored by all the "hammered" metal parts you have. Kinda like a modern day blacksmith building his horseless carriage.
Or modern day Roman warriors making chariots!

Hammerforming is fun, at least to me and my crazy crew, and the upside is you end up with some really strong, kickazz, parts. That front crossmember front plate Evan hammered feels like it could stop Superman. Before it was tacked in, if you dropped it on the shop floor the resultant ring screamed, "I am invincible!"

There is a pretty good blacksmith in the facility as well - but he cheats and uses heat. We hammer our parts from cold steel.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:47 AM
On Vacation

Woodsmith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddshotrods View Post
The ends will be connected to the shell with copper nipples, like a car or bike wire wheel (you'll be able to see the nipples on the outsides of the shell).
You need to find someone who has a Phil Wood spoke cutting and thread rolling machine.

I have a friend, Dylan Thomas of Your Spokes in York, UK who has one and it is a great tool to use.
It would be easy, if you know the length of stainless steel spoke you need, to have both ends rolled prior to crimping to get the mesh form.

You could even look at aero spokes to get a flat aero profile in the mesh for effect and retain the round section for the thread.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 AM

Hey Woody! Those grille bars are .1875 or .250" wire - a bit thicker than a bike spoke.

I'm going to try to find someone to do the mesh bars on a CNC wire bender from my models.

Last edited by toddshotrods; 07-14-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:33 AM
On Vacation

Woodsmith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddshotrods View Post
Hey Woody! Those grille bars are .1875 or .250" wire - a bit thicker than a bike spoke.

I'm going to try to find someone to do the mesh bars on a CNC wire bender from my models.
Ha ha, I wasn't paying as much attention. Weekend time with Arch.

Looks like someone will be busy making giant spoke nipples then.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsmith View Post
Ha ha, I wasn't paying as much attention. Weekend time with Arch.

Looks like someone will be busy making giant spoke nipples then.
Haha! Yup! I'll probably model them, 3D print them, and have them cast.

This piece is turning out beautifully. This is what's going to happen with every fabricated part on the car, eventually. A little more detail work and this puppy will be ready to weld and blend into the frame.

Starting on the roll bar stanchion crossmembers.

I made a little more progress on the shift rocker arm. The caps are cut to size and hand filed a little to fit. I bored a hole in the bolt to create four mounting bushings for the caps (first round thing I saw the right size ). The bushings will fit on the (top and bottom) outside edges of the caps. I was going to weld the ribs to the caps but, after playing with it, and thinking about it, I might weld them to the rocker arm, with a concave edge that the bushings fit into. After I get all the parts cut and fit, I'll have a better idea which one I prefer

The shifter's I-beam mount is dangerously close to being welded up and blended. This is another piece that I can't wait to show the planned details on - there will be curves in every direction.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:10 AM

With a few of the roll cage's main tubes in place, it was time to see how the seats and roll cage were working with the 1919 doorless theme. I like it. It's a curious mix of new and old.

We also started cutting and preparing some of the tiny little pieces that will be go on the shift rocker arm.. These little pieces are going to come together as a very unique it'll part.

Last edited by toddshotrods; 07-19-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Even finished hammering the plates, so yesterday I welded the I-beam shifter mount up - massive, ridiculous, badazz - a true Todd kind of hot rod part! Next come the rocker arm mounts, and hours and hours of grinding and shaping.

With that firmly underway, we've started on the floor-mount pedal assembly. More steel plate (mostly .250", purposely over-engineered for abuse tolerance), plasma cut, grind, grind, grind. We're using the pivots, and crank sections, of the Honda Accord brake pedals with our own foot lever sections. I was going to keep the ratio the same to keep the Honda feel, but Schism is so small that we need to reduce the overall size, so the effort will be increased a bit.

The funny-shaped (un-cut) piece is the main mounting plate. It will have a clevis that straddles the left front frame rail, and the little arm section will bolt to the front lateral main box frame section. The arms will be in clevises that extend up off the main plate. The slots are for the crank sections to reach down under the floor. They'll push rods extending back to rear mounted master cylinders, just behind the driver's seat. Access to them will be gained by flipping that seat up and opening an access panel. The ECU, fuses, etc, will located behind the passenger seat, and accessed the same way.

Last edited by toddshotrods; 07-20-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-20-2012, 08:44 PM

I forgot this one. Now that the rear crossmember is taking shape, we were able to resume work on the rear motor mount - specifically, the main gusset. A little more trimming and shaping and this will be ready to weld.
Sponsored Links

Share or Bookmark this