Sizing a battery pack - Page 4 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Batteries and Charging

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM

jwalin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sizing a battery pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking View Post
The EV has the exact same issues it had over 100 years ago, when electric vehicles ruled the road, the battery is the major problem.
and, 100 years ago when the economy of Big Oil pushed them off the road. Gas was C_H_E_A_P then. Electric cars were preferred. Think about it....there was no reason to need the higher power density of gasoline back then, people didn't travel far at all. But, it was MUCH cheaper to use gas.

Quote:
The EV will not become mainstream and widely accepted by the public until consumers are confident they can get 300+ miles between recharges, with all the Bells and Whistles, 10 year battery life, 15 minute recharges, and that cost the same as an ICE vehicle.
I have a little more faith in people than that. I used to work in the AVTI research lab at IUPUI in the late 90's, we had a formula lightning. There was huge interest in it from everyone who saw it. Every race track we went to there were many racers looking the car over. Interest was BIG. Look to the EV1's history of owners, ask people you know if they would commute to work in an ECONOMICAL EV.

We don't need EV's to match what an ICEV will do. We need the economy of scale that the ICEV has benefitted from for nearly 100 years, that is all.

jeff

Last edited by jwalin; 02-28-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 10:49 PM

lowcrawler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Th eEV will not become mainstream and widely accepted by the public until...
I dunno. People accept quite a bit of really crappy stuff about ICE vehicles -- destroying the planet, constant wars, having to go somewhere to 'fill' rather than just doing it at night, overwhelming costs, etc, etc, etc...
Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 PM

charliehorse55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcrawler View Post
I dunno. People accept quite a bit of really crappy stuff about ICE vehicles -- destroying the planet, constant wars, having to go somewhere to 'fill' rather than just doing it at night, overwhelming costs, etc, etc, etc...
Other than having to use a gas station to re-fill, all of the reasons listed are external costs that may not be immediately obvious to a consumer. They are perfectly legitimate flaws, but they do not weigh as heavily on the mind of a consumer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_externalizing

Last edited by charliehorse55; 02-28-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:03 AM

MN Driver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That is my point. Then winter comes around and all that theory goes out the window.

The EV has the exact same issues it had over 100 years ago, when electric vehicles ruled the road, the battery is the major problem. Th eEV will not become mainstream and widely accepted by the public until consumers are confident they can get 300+ miles between recharges, with all the Bells and Whistles, 10 year battery life, 15 minute recharges, and that cost the same as an ICE vehicle. To do that will require a battery with a specific energy density of 400+ wh/Kg and a charge rate that exceeds C5. To my knowledge there is not even a battery on the drawing board that can do ALL of that.
That doesn't seem to be the issue that people talk about when I discuss electric cars with them. Most people aren't willing to foot the bill for the higher up-front cost of an EV. A great deal of people who are financially able to buy a new car are in a family with more than one vehicle. Since they have more than one car, as long as they aren't attached to only driving their car and can work together with their spouse or family to plan ahead when they need to take a car farther than 50 miles, its not that difficult. I've talked to a few people who think that a 300 mile range and a recharging infrastructure is needed but after I talk to them about their husband or wife having another car or how often they drive a long distance, they realize they've been fed a line by Bob Lutz about the '300 mile gold standard'. Once they think past some rhetoric fed to them by the auto industry, the oil industry, and whatever news network they heard it from usually range isn't really an issue. FWIW, the Tesla Model S with a 85kwh pack is sold as a 300 mile car, not cheap but its not an econo box either, its a lux car and priced accordingly. I'm thinking that past the currently developing generation of the S and X that they will produce a car that is priced for some real sales numbers.

I'm really thinking its the price premium and the 'I want to wait for the kinks to get worked out'. Think about it, the Prius wasn't popular until a few years after the 2nd gen was released and even at its price premium, there was enough demand for a car this car that they were unable to keep them on the lots even though production was ramped up. Once the 'is this technology proven' factor and price comes down, I think that is when these will really take off. Right now its early adopters buying them because they have the research and drive to have one, the average person will catch on in about 8-10 years or possibly less depending on how gas prices pressure them but even then it will likely be at least 5 years since the original release of the Leaf before any 'real' sales numbers come up. I'm willing to buy a used production EV but I'll most likely build my own before then.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:56 PM

rhea2011 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to rhea2011
Default battery pack AH ,V

Dear Sir,

Battery pack, need to know the AH and total Voltage

AH= Current A X Hours
Current A= W/Voltage
Hours = Running distance km / Average speed km/h

Could you inform your electric motor power W, and estimate your e-car running hours?

HIPOWER LiFePO4 battery : cell normal voltage 3.2v
Prismatic single cells. 20AH~500AH
Normally 20Ah, 30Ah, 40Ah, 50Ah, 60Ah, 100Ah, 160Ah, 180Ah, 200Ah......

Best Regards,
Alice

Share or Bookmark this