Soliton Jr Liquid Cooling PSI limit? - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Controllers

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 AM

mharvey is on a distinguished road
Default Soliton Jr Liquid Cooling PSI limit?

This is for the Evnetics guys...In the Sol Jr manual it specifies 20 psi or less for the cooler pump. Is 20 psi a hard limit? I have a small d5 pump with a 50 psi rating. Too much even though Im pumping through a tranny cooler etc? Any practical experience with a high PSI rating? What are the risks? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 AM

Tesseract has a spectacular aura aboutTesseract has a spectacular aura aboutTesseract has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Soliton Jr Liquid Cooling PSI limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharvey View Post
This is for the Evnetics guys...In the Sol Jr manual it specifies 20 psi or less for the cooler pump. Is 20 psi a hard limit? I have a small d5 pump with a 50 psi rating. Too much even though Im pumping through a tranny cooler etc? Any practical experience with a high PSI rating? What are the risks? TIA
A "d5" pump? That sounds like the Laing D5, which is exactly the pump we recommend. The 50 psi maximum system pressure reached by that pump is a theoretical number that it can withstand, not what it delivers in normal operation. Even if you were to completely restrict the output of the pump it won't hit 50 psi at 12V (max pressure would be ~5.8 psi). In a typical installation the maximum system pressure will be 3-4 psi while delivering the ideal flow rate of 4 gpm.

The 20 psi limit is, indeed, a maximum, because aluminum castings are slightly porous, so too high a pressure in the cooling loop will result in "weeping". That, as you might imagine, would be a very bad thing.

Into EV's? Check out ChargedEVs Magazine
Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
A "d5" pump? That sounds like the Laing D5, which is exactly the pump we recommend. The 50 psi maximum system pressure reached by that pump is a theoretical number that it can withstand, not what it delivers in normal operation. Even if you were to completely restrict the output of the pump it won't hit 50 psi at 12V (max pressure would be ~5.8 psi). In a typical installation the maximum system pressure will be 3-4 psi while delivering the ideal flow rate of 4 gpm.

The 20 psi limit is, indeed, a maximum, because aluminum castings are slightly porous, so too high a pressure in the cooling loop will result in "weeping". That, as you might imagine, would be a very bad thing.
Awesome thanks. As you can imagine the installation instructions are a tad terse. 50 psi was the only number I could find. Since I'm reusing the overflow tank from the original radiator, I was concerned abouty the clip-down lid popping. At @5 psi, it will be more than adequate.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:21 PM

Sparrow159 is on a distinguished road

I have a Soliton Jr as well. What adaptors did you use to connect the controller to some 1/2 inch tubing. I bought the cooling kit from EV Source and the adaptors they sent don't fit - they're probably intended for the Soliton1 and not the Jr.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Tesseract has a spectacular aura aboutTesseract has a spectacular aura aboutTesseract has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow159 View Post
I have a Soliton Jr as well. What adaptors did you use to connect the controller to some 1/2 inch tubing. I bought the cooling kit from EV Source and the adaptors they sent don't fit - they're probably intended for the Soliton1 and not the Jr.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The size of the ports is printed on the controller... 1/8-27 NPT.

Into EV's? Check out ChargedEVs Magazine
Old 07-27-2012, 03:21 PM

I think you missed my main question. What are folks using as far actual adaptors; the adaptors EV Source sent won't work, not because they don't screw into the controller but because they can't sit next to each because they are too wide. I'm curious what brass fittings folks are using that are skinny enough to work.

Thanks,
Old 07-27-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow159 View Post
I think you missed my main question. What are folks using as far actual adaptors; the adaptors EV Source sent won't work, not because they don't screw into the controller but because they can't sit next to each because they are too wide. I'm curious what brass fittings folks are using that are skinny enough to work.

Thanks,
I used Brass Barbed Elbow 45 Deg Elbow for 3/8" Hose ID X 1/8" NPTF Male Pipe. Got em at McMaster-Carr. But I used 3/8" hose all around. Depends on your hose but the 1/8" Male NPTF is the key. The 45 angle made em easier to hook up.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/286/=ildgu1
Old 07-27-2012, 04:55 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the reference.
Is there anyone else out there that would like to chime in. I'm open to all the ideas and references I can get.

From what I can tell, there's no way to go directly to a 1/2 inch barb, I'll have to use a 1/8 NPT X 3/8 barb to go from the controller to a foot (or so) of 3/8 ID tube. I can then use a 3/8 X 1/2 coupler/splicer to flow into a 1/2 tube so I can still use the kit I bought from EV Source. Sounds like a plan.

Thanks again

Last edited by Sparrow159; 07-27-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Update from internet resources

Share or Bookmark this