Soliton or Kelly? - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Controllers

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 11:00 AM

winzeracer is on a distinguished road
Question Soliton or Kelly?

Hi All,

I am trying trying to decide which controller I want to run with my new Agni 111 rdr (50kw peak) for my eKart conversion. I will be running at 84v or 96v still deciding on that.

I really like the Soliton because it is beefy and modern, has a great interface, and I should not need to run the liquid cooling ( i don't think) because I will only be using 1/3 of its capacity( 150kw).

The Kelly I would choose is a 1000amp Racing Regen PM ( http://kellycontroller.com/racing-co...gen-p-757.html ). The Kelly is not my favorite b/c they are just not great quality thus why I would way over size it and go with the 1000a even though I would only ever max out at 600a. But having an "engine break" may be a great advantage on the track. I am not to concerned with using regen for charging purposes, but rather better car control. But with this Kelly I would probably (from what I read) need to at least use some serious fans and or heatsink to keep it cool, and hopefully not have to make a liquid cold plate setup.

Has anyone run these Kelly "Racing" PM regen controllers? I read Ripperton's thread and he had to make pretty serious modifications to his.

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

Thanks.

www.winzeracer.com
40kw Race Kart Build
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ead-75205.html

Last edited by winzeracer; 06-24-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 AM

Jan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Soliton or Kelly?

There is no choice: The Agni motor is a kind of DC motors, the Soliton is designed for that type, the Kelly is designed for PMAC motors.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
There is no choice: The Agni motor is a kind of DC motors, the Soliton is designed for that type, the Kelly is designed for PMAC motors.
No exactly, there are people that run Soliton's with Agni's. Jozzer even recommended using a Soliton JR for this motor and he does the development for Agni.

Edit: I read your post wrong sorry. These Kelly's are used for PM brushed also.

www.winzeracer.com
40kw Race Kart Build

Last edited by winzeracer; 06-24-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Administrator

skooler is on a distinguished road

I have nothing but good words for Evnetics. Great service. Great Controllers
Old 06-24-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooler View Post
I have nothing but good words for Evnetics. Great service. Great Controllers
Ya I hear ya, I really like them too. Just want input on the Kelly so I can make the final decision.

www.winzeracer.com
40kw Race Kart Build
Old 06-24-2012, 10:53 PM

onegreenev is on a distinguished road

If you want to hit the race track with a Kelly you best get a guarantee from Kelly that it will do what you want it to do and live with out fail. The track is not where you want a failure. I'd be more inclined to go with Soliton but since you really don't need 1000 plus amps and air cooling I'd suggest to you a Synkromotive controller. No failures for any Synkromotive Controller being used today. They will give you plenty of voltage and plenty of amps. You can actually have a larger pack voltage and limit the voltage and current if you want or need. Light weight and very very robust. I have two. My Beta testing with Kelly and some of my other run-ins with Kelly have not been super good. Not terrible and customer service is good but shipping is slow. They do and will repair any fault but Kelly has had too many failures to reliably recommend them any longer. I used to say they are good for what they are but I'd say they are good for golf carts and industrial equipment. Not for high voltage/amp street driven vehicles. Pretty basic. If you do an easy driven 144 volt 800 amp controller with your medium to small car then Kellly may be the choice for you. I have a new KDH144800D Series controller/heatsink for $800 and I will include shipping in the US only. It's a choice and a much lower cost one at that. If you consider trying it contact off list please.

But best would be soliton or synkro for a good reliable controller.

Pete

Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 AM

Jozzer is on a distinguished road

A soliton jnr would probably give you the best control, and let you "abuse" the motor at lower RPM without allowing full current at higher speeds. It can't do regen however, and is a very big beast for 40kw peak (50kw will burn the motor fast - however you can allow 450A at lower speeds for very short durations).

A Kelly KDHE 600A would be the most cost effective way to run it, and will certainly provide the power required, though as mentioned above quality control and support are not anywhere near the levels you could expect from EVNetics. It will support regen however (though this is of marginal use in racing, since you don't want to be heating the motor/brushes to brake as well as acellerate fast - it will just lower the average power you can use during a race ultimatly). I have most experience with these Kelly's on Agni's, and can say that if your lucky enough to get a controller that all the features work on it will probably do fine - but they are not all equal! There are a number of race bikes out there that still have KDHE's fitted and are working fine after several years abuse - but we went through a lot of support/RTB's to get them stable..

I've no experience with the Synkromotive controller at all, and none of my customers have ever reported its use with an Agni - you'd be on your own there!
Bear in mind that both the Syncro and the Soliton were designed for series motors rather than PM motors, though I've had at least some experience on the dyno (with Agni's) with the Soliton and it performed well.
An Alltrax (with a dongle to convert speed throttle to current/torque throttle) would be a good fit here - however they don't make a 100v capable model

No ideal choices out there yet in this power bracket..

Regarding power levels on the 111rdr motors, it must be remembered that although these are powerful and efficient motors, they have very little thermal headroom. If you plan on running it too the edge (it sounds like you are) you must have proper thermal protection (aim to keep brushholder temps below 95C), and work your levels up slowly as you refine the cooling arrangements and tune the controller.

Hope this helps!

Steve
www.jozztek.com
Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 AM

frodus will become famous soon enoughfrodus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Why did you comment at all? You obviously have no clue about what kelly does and doesn't make or sell.

Kelly has a large selection on motor controllers for anything from Series wound, to sepex, to AC Induction, BLDC and PM brushed motors. The controller in the link he provided is designed for PM Brushed motors, not PMAC.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:09 PM

Bowser330 is on a distinguished road

So since the Soliton Jr. is made for such high voltage (340Vmax), you would connect the Agnis in series to share the voltage and go full amps to each, correct?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:47 PM

frodus will become famous soon enoughfrodus will become famous soon enough

Bowser330, From his post above, winzeracer is only running one 111 rdr.

To Winzeracer, If you are wanting to use 2, DO NOT parallel them.... this is a really bad idea and requires a ton of tuning (Ask Steve) to get them working right. Put motors in series if you do dual so the current is equal.

You don't really need to do dual though, with the 111 rdr, it's a larger more powerful motor. The Soliton Jr works from 9-340VDC pack voltage.... so you should be fine with 1 motor (or two) and just about any voltage you'll put on that Kart.

Share or Bookmark this