DIY Electric Car Forums banner

switching from PB-6 pot box to hall effect throttle

7K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  EVfun 
#1 ·
I have one permanent magnet motor controller but I have both a PB-6 and a hall effect throttle.

Can either throttles be used in the motor controller? Or are some motor controllers compatible to only one of the two?

I think wiring the batteries to the controller and to the motor is simple. It's just the throttle input that I'm not too familiar with.

I'm a bit new to electric vehicles and I'm starting on my first EV project.

Please help

#3 ·
well, it's a China unit which I am trying out.
72volts, 400amps for a DC Permanent magnet motor.

the manufacturer did give me a user manual but it seems to lack a few labels (with the diagram for the Hall effect throttle) and I can't seem to contact them now.

basically there is an 8 pin socket but only three wires connected so I am assuming that the 5 other pins don't have any function. Well, this assumption I am not too sure about.

the pins with wires available are the first three (3) on the right side (from top going down.)

like this
OO
OO
OO
OO

I know where to connect the positive (+) and negative (-) of the batteries. Also same with the motor.

But as I mentioned I am not yet sure how to wire the PB-6 pot box.
Can I just play with these wires and figure it out by trial and error? Or would it not be safe for the motor controller?

I think that I may be able to wire the PB-6 pot box by following this diagram
Except that it seems to use the upper left pin with doesn't have a wire available. I am not sure if the manufacturer really left these empty on purpose OR if I have to add by myself the additional wires for some of the pins.

Technical drawing Text Plan Diagram Floor plan

But with the Hall effect I am not sure since the pins to be used are these

OO
OO
OO
OO

and the lower right pin currently does not have a wire available in the socket.

Question, what is this microswitch for?

Can the motor controller work without using this microswitch?

#4 ·
I am thinking that maybe the upper left pin in the wiring diagram does not have to be used and maybe the one who made this diagram just was not able to properly "edit" that part while he was making the PDF file.

Here is a diagram for the Hall effect throttle

Text Diagram Technical drawing Plan Floor plan

In the user's manual, this diagram for the Hall effect throttle is positioned above the diagram for the PB-6 pot box.

So maybe, and just maybe, the diagram for the PB-6 pot box was just an edited version of the Hall Effect diagram.

But these just guesses.

And I am not sure if I have to transfer one of the wires on the socket (3rd one on the right side) to accommodate the bottom right pin for the Hall effect throttle to work.

This is the reason why I was asking about PB-6 pot box and Hall effect throttles....do they use the same pins in a motor controller or do they each require different pins (just based on your experience with your own motor controllers)

#9 ·
But they're the ones who manufactured the DC PM motor. Unless they just outsourced this motor from another Chinese company.

This is what they gave me. And It does only have M-, B- and B+
Which is similar to other PM motor controllers. No A2 for this one

#11 ·
if they say the motor and controller go together then it is OK. For a controller to work on a PM motor it just needs to be able to shut off real fast at current limit. Plenty of series motor controller can operate PM motors, just not all of them.

Please don't try to run the motor and controller off of the charger. It cannot source the current required to start and there are lots of bad things that come to mind.

#12 ·
So are Series controllers more prone to damage than PM motor controllers?

I've been reading about bad experiences with Chennic Series motor controllers.

I do have with me a Chennic PM motor controller. I haven't tested it yet but I hope and pray that this thing won't fail on me.

The reason I decided to try out the Chennic PM motor controller was I did have a few China items here at home and they seem to perform well. Like the inverter TIG welding machine I have here. No problems at all. And lots of other stuff.

This Chennic....well, wish me luck. There's always Kelly controllers anyway, just in case.

Oh ya, can a 72volt motor controller be connected to a 12 or 24 volt battery pack?
Maybe it will pulse the current at these voltages.....but at least it will still work.....that is if this is possible.

I have not yet purchased the Lead acid deep cycle batteries because I'm scared that this motor might fail on me.

I also do have here a DC-DC converter and a Pulse Battery charger. When I have tested these components I will make sure to give you guys my feedback

#13 ·
Some series motor controllers are more prone to excess current damage when trying to run a PM motor or if they happen to be shorted on the output. One classic example of this is using the Curtis 1221B motor controller with the ADC 9 inch FB-1 motor. That is a series wound motor, but lower impedance than most. Plenty of those controller blew up running that motor at low rpm, mostly from users that had heavy EVs.

Most DC motor controllers have a input voltage minimum. Below that point they tend to shut down. You would have to ask the manufacturer. Good luck with your project. It sounds like you plan to try out some of the newer low priced parts.

G
#17 ·
I suspect that you can't use the hall effect with your controller. Unless the company states that you can I'd say no.

I am not sure about external 5v power working properly or not. Unless you can keep it stable then I'd say no.

Pete :)

#18 · (Edited)
well, the company said YES I can. I connect the Hall effect signal wire to one of the controller pins. but the Ground and +5V wire needs it's own 5v source but i just want to know how it is with other controllers.

and do people do this with other controllers where they use a hall effect throttle but with a separate 5V power source

#20 ·
well, the company said YES I can. I connect the Hall effect signal wire to one of the controller pins. but the Ground and +5V wire needs it's own 5v source but i just want to know how it is with other controllers.
Unless told otherwise you should use a well isolated 5 volt source. I would suggest something like the Astrodyne ASD03-12S5 http://www.astrodyne.com/Product/asd03.asp.

I would need to know what each of the pot and controller pins do before I could suggest how to wire it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.