DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Tesla module 12s conversion - succesfull prototype!

17K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  mpobor 
#1 ·
#8 · (Edited)
With a spiral groove cutter for aluminum in a router. Path is CNC cut. after cutting and cleaning up I filled the groove with electrical grade silicone caulk.

the bolts are attached with a stud welding machine (capacitor discharge).

Both tasks are quite daunting, and took a couple of weeks to optimize.

I have orders for converting 16 modules, after that I might take orders for more.

#12 ·
Using Tesla's Battery Monitoring and Management system with a 12s Module:

It is now possible to Monitor and manage the Voltages and Temperatures for a 6s configuration Tesla Model S Module using the original Tesla BMB and some clever recent reverse engineering of the communication protocol and daisy-chaining the Boards.

Can one use two Tesla BMB's to monitor the 12s configuration you have created? (6 cells for each BMB).

How could this be implemented?

Is each BMB powered by the Module itself? Would powering two boards per "half" module cause issues? I would imagine that you would want to draw current from each of the 6 cells evenly otherwise it would induce an imbalance in the module over time?

As the cell configuration has been altered for the 12s layout, would it require new voltage taps for ALL of the 12 cells?? (I am assuming that the 6 original voltage taps are no longer usuable.) Is it impractical to get enough access at the individual cell level to add/remove voltage wiring?(its probrably glued together pretty good)

From what I have read, there are two temperature sensors for each module, one on the positive terminal and one on the negative terminal of the module. Can the 2 BMB's share and report this same information? It seems pointless adding two more?

#13 ·
First of all a big thanks to Boekel, a package showed up today for me. I was expecting more bms board, those I did get however one was still attached to a tesla module that had been converted to 12s :D

The Boekel conversion allows one board to remain fit in the stock location and work normally.

Wired up the second board to the remaining cells.

Now I can test my tesla bms software with multiple slaves in series.

Attachments

#14 ·
I can confirm the following.

Wiring up the second slave is straight forward a top and bottom loom with 4 and 3 wires respectively. No need to connect a temperature sensor..

Attached print screen of my current bms diagnostics programme. As you can see slave 2 has an fault due to the missing temp sensors readings are also 4300 +/-

Attachments

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.