Tesla Roadster Replacement - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > EV Performance

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 08:58 AM

Kevin Sharpe is on a distinguished road
Default Tesla Roadster Replacement

I've driven my Tesla Roadster 32,000 miles all over Europe in the past couple of years and have enjoyed every single mile

I'm ready for my next EV and intend it to outperform the Roadster. I would be interested in members views on achieving the following in a 2 seat sports car;

0-60 <3 seconds

150mph

range 150 miles (everyday pack), 300 miles (extended range pack)

43kW 3 Phase AC 'fast' charge

aggressive regen

braking that works
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 AM

njloof is on a distinguished road

This one, perhaps?

http://www.rimac-automobili.com/
Old 08-05-2012, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Tesla Roadster Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by njloof View Post
This one, perhaps?
last time I heard that was $900K and I know I can do more for less
Old 08-05-2012, 04:21 PM

Ziggythewiz will become famous soon enough

It's certainly doable but your requirements make for a difficult DIY. You can get all the power you want from Warp 9s or 11s, I've heard of up to 4 used in series...but you want regen, so you're stuck with whatever AC motors are out there. Maybe you could get 3 or 4 of HPEVs new stuff...

The other issue is range. It's difficult to get over 100 miles with DIY EV batteries in a small car. Tesla had to use thousands of laptop cells, which you can cram anywhere.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:33 PM

major has a spectacular aura aboutmajor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Sharpe View Post
last time I heard that was $900K and I know I can do more for less
Get a Tesla model S, gut the propulsion system (motor, controller and battery) and stick in the platform of your choice.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by major View Post
Get a Tesla model S, gut the propulsion system (motor, controller and battery) and stick in the platform of your choice.
It won't hit the desired performance figures... also the battery is the floor so refitting to another platform would be tough

We have considered using a crashed Roadster as a starting point... using the latest panasonic cells would deliver the range.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:44 PM

major has a spectacular aura aboutmajor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It won't hit the desired performance figures... also the battery is the floor so refitting to another platform would be tough

We have considered using a crashed Roadster as a starting point... using the latest panasonic cells would deliver the range.
I read the performance package S motor at 416 hp. That is well above the Roadster motor. And I figured you'd need to modify things like the battery package.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:44 PM

Nuts&Volts is on a distinguished road

Contact EIG and buy a ton of their batteries. Easier to package than thousands of the panasonic cells. Then buy a EVO Electric AFM230. Mate that to a Sevcon Gen4 Size10.

Make a 800V 40-50kWh pack that can do 400kW with a motor and controller that can do close to 300kW. This will probably cost close to $25-30k for the controller/motor and then $40-50k for the battery. Then maybe $20-30k more for materials and fab work. Charger would be another $3-10k

Put all that in some sweet ass sports car and you're good to go. I would think you could get about 200 miles out of a pack that big when you aren't riding it hard. Your talking like 800 lbs in batteries and 160lbs in motor/controller. So your car may be quick heavy.

This is probably the route I would go, but with 30kWh or so. That is if I had $100k to spend on something. Actually I would go with 2 hub motors, 30kWh, and try to weight down to 2500lbs or something.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:48 PM

Nuts&Volts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by major View Post
I read the performance package S motor at 416 hp. That is well above the Roadster motor. And I figured you'd need to modify things like the battery package.
Battery is in the floor, but the modules could be reconfigured and maybe even possible to just repackage every system in the Model S... You could use the entire rear axle (motor/controller) in some new sports car. Lot of fab work, but it is possible.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 PM

rochesterricer is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The battery is in the floor, but it should be fairly easily removed. According to Elon Musk, the battery is designed to be replaced in minutes at a battery quick change station. They are supposed to make some announcement about what they plan to do with this capability sometime this year.

However, keeping the battery intact might require you to at least use a car with the same wheelbase as the Model S. It is probably possible to take the battery apart and rearrange the modules, if you have the patience(I don't know how many modules make up the battery).

Share or Bookmark this