Tesla testing - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > EV Performance

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-13-2009, 12:31 PM
2cycle 2cycle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 94
2cycle is on a distinguished road
Default Tesla testing

I picked up a car magazine this weekend because it had done a multi day test session with the Tesla. The guy really liked it for stoplight to stoplight fun. He mentions the lack of top speed but also reminds us that top speed is rarely used and was worth the trade off of the off the line punch.
They showed some interesting numbers that were either chassis dyno figures or onboard dyno figures. It pretty much shows what I thought all along, it has great off the line torque to the rear wheels but as soon as it gets past 40 mph it's all gone and heading down hill quick. They showed a comparison to the V-6 Camaro and as soon as the Camaro shifts to second gear the torque to the wheels as already more than the Tesla is at that point during a sprint. When you campare the weight specs you will see that the Tesla is more than 1000 lbs lighter, that's where the performance comes from. After reading that write-up I would have to say a 2 or 3 speed tranny would surely make the torque to the rear wheels show better but the weight would slow it down off the line to gain the top speed and it wouldn't be worth it.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-15-2009, 01:05 PM
2cycle 2cycle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 94
2cycle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tesla testing

After reading the article some more it does mention about going to their web site to see the dyno tests, so it sounds like they used a chassis dyno to measure rear wheel hp. I think it was something like 1200 lb/ft to the rear wheels from start to around 40 mph then it starts a linear drop to the peak speed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-17-2009, 03:12 AM
Bowser330 Bowser330 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,682
Bowser330 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tesla testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cycle View Post
I picked up a car magazine this weekend because it had done a multi day test session with the Tesla. The guy really liked it for stoplight to stoplight fun. He mentions the lack of top speed but also reminds us that top speed is rarely used and was worth the trade off of the off the line punch.
They showed some interesting numbers that were either chassis dyno figures or onboard dyno figures. It pretty much shows what I thought all along, it has great off the line torque to the rear wheels but as soon as it gets past 40 mph it's all gone and heading down hill quick. They showed a comparison to the V-6 Camaro and as soon as the Camaro shifts to second gear the torque to the wheels as already more than the Tesla is at that point during a sprint. When you campare the weight specs you will see that the Tesla is more than 1000 lbs lighter, that's where the performance comes from. After reading that write-up I would have to say a 2 or 3 speed tranny would surely make the torque to the rear wheels show better but the weight would slow it down off the line to gain the top speed and it wouldn't be worth it.
The weight of what? The transmission? I feel the original two speed option would truly make this a super car terror... so yes it would add another 100 lbs of weight, but the car is already overall pretty damn light...and that second gear would really help that flat torque curve come to life at higher speeds...

It would be cool if they were to offer the 2 speed tranny as an add-on option...

I have noticed that the Bmw. Porsche, and other tuners are using the seconds it takes for 60-130mph as a performance comparative standard...

The figures i ran of the Tesla's multiplied torque showed it being pretty underpowered from 60-130... in comparison to a Porsche 911 turbo for example...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-17-2009, 11:41 PM
ClintK's Avatar
ClintK ClintK is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 669
ClintK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tesla testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
It would be cool if they were to offer the 2 speed tranny as an add-on option...
Wasn't one of the reasons they dropped the 2 speed was because of poor reliability? If I remember right, it was hard for them to find a transmission that could shift at 14,000 RPMs.

Side note... sure the muscle car magazines will complain it can't do 140 mph, but I'm sure a fraction of the owners will even get near 100 mph - and their waiting list for the car shows their design tradeoffs are acceptable.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Bowser330 Bowser330 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,682
Bowser330 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tesla testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintK View Post
Wasn't one of the reasons they dropped the 2 speed was because of poor reliability? If I remember right, it was hard for them to find a transmission that could shift at 14,000 RPMs.

Side note... sure the muscle car magazines will complain it can't do 140 mph, but I'm sure a fraction of the owners will even get near 100 mph - and their waiting list for the car shows their design tradeoffs are acceptable.
If they wanted to find a transmission that could handle it, they could have..because there are transmissions that could handle 14,000rpm...

I think they realized, like you and others have said before, that most people would care more for performance around the 0-60 range rather than 60-whatever...so they scrapped the idea of the trans more because of that rather than sourcing a transmission....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-18-2009, 04:04 AM
WarpedOne's Avatar
WarpedOne WarpedOne is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 107
WarpedOne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tesla testing

Quote:
If they wanted to find a transmission that could handle it, they could have..because there are transmissions that could handle 14,000rpm...
Such a transmission is another thing everyone says exists but noone can show it to me. Nor Tesla Motors. Magna couldn't make one, XTrac couldn't make one. They've both tried and failed.

Now, whom am I supposed to believe? A random forum guy or specialist who tried and failed?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-18-2009, 04:20 AM
Bowser330 Bowser330 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,682
Bowser330 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tesla testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpedOne View Post
Such a transmission is another thing everyone says exists but noone can show it to me. Nor Tesla Motors. Magna couldn't make one, XTrac couldn't make one. They've both tried and failed.

Now, whom am I supposed to believe? A random forum guy or specialist who tried and failed?
"Random forum guy?"

Nice to meet you too Mr. 18 posts

Believe whomever you want too warped one.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-18-2009, 04:31 AM
WarpedOne's Avatar
WarpedOne WarpedOne is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 107
WarpedOne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tesla testing

Post count says nothing about the subject on hand.
Show me the transmission that you say exists. I am fed up with armchair engineers that know everything way better than those who do it for their living.

I would expect from people on this forum to know something about Tesla Motors, their problems and achievements yet I find the same **** here as everywhere else.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-18-2009, 04:55 AM
Bowser330 Bowser330 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,682
Bowser330 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tesla testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpedOne View Post
Post count says nothing about the subject on hand.
Show me the transmission that you say exists. I am fed up with armchair engineers that know everything way better than those who do it for their living.

I would expect from people on this forum to know something about Tesla Motors, their problems and achievements yet I find the same **** here as everywhere else.
good luck getting a healthy discussion going with your piss poor attitude.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-18-2009, 05:50 AM
WarpedOne's Avatar
WarpedOne WarpedOne is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 107
WarpedOne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tesla testing

Form over substance eh? Lets all sing khumbaya and ignore the facts?

You came forward with:
Quote:
If they wanted to find a transmission that could handle it, they could have..because there are transmissions that could handle 14,000rpm...
Facts are that Tesla Motors spent over 10 million $, tried 2 different transmission suppliers and suffered over a year of delays trying to produce a reliable 2 speed transmission that could handle those 14k rpm, be lightweight and efficient enough. And reliable. And quick.

In my book that counts for wanting it badly. They wanted it so badly that they almost failed as a company. There is a saying around here that goes something like "If there isn't any, even army can't take it".

Now, If you know of such a transmission by all means point it out. I (and many others) want to know of it also.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Share or Bookmark this

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 
Support DIY Electric Car
Sponsors

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Ad Management by RedTyger