Toggle Switch - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Technical Discussion

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 12:00 PM

major has a spectacular aura aboutmajor has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Toggle Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkmonkey View Post
Yes it is. When you say tear it down and do it right, do you mean just make changes as suggested? I don't need to take everything out do I? I just ordered a precharge resistor, so thats a start.
Anybody who did that installation and wiring cannot be trusted to have done anything properly. Relying on anything done by that idiot is a huge mistake on your part and I'd say makes for a dangerous vehicle to be on the public roads. Do you understand that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 12:24 PM

Salty9 is on a distinguished road

The problem sounds similar to one I had in an old Jeep pickup. I melted 2 throttle cables before I discovered that the ground strap to the motor had been broken.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:34 PM

dragonsgate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty9 View Post
The problem sounds similar to one I had in an old Jeep pickup. I melted 2 throttle cables before I discovered that the ground strap to the motor had been broken.
I went through a couple clutch cables on one of my Fiats before I realized what was happening. The engine was grounding through the cable slowly arcing it away. Installed a ground strap in place of the one that went who know were from body to block and had no problems for the next twenty plus years. As for the Leopard Take it apart right down to the motor and seeing as how you got that far you might as well take it out and clean and inspect it. Take notes and draw diagrams and take photos of the wiring and such before you remove it. Clean everything properly and mark what it is and where it went for later reinstallation. Go to a library and find books that show you how to make proper splices and connections. I might not hurt to even get some books on house hold wiring incase you are planning on in stalling a hookup for the charger. Get books on electronics, and motors. Read them even if you do not understand everything and read them again. If you show an effort to correct everything I think most of the people on this forum will try to give the best advice they can. While I am on the soapbox I will add this. Seeing as how the wiring was so shabbily done I wonder what shape the breaks, steering and suspension is in. I mean it is nice to have an EV that goes but it can be just as nice to be able to make it stop when you want it too.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:31 PM

ricklearned is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty9 View Post
That is why I plan to isolate the 12v ground system. That means running black ground wires to every spot the needs 12 volts. I will see how that goes as my build progresses.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:45 PM

EVfun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklearned View Post
That is why I plan to isolate the 12v ground system. That means running black ground wires to every spot the needs 12 volts. I will see how that goes as my build progresses.
Good luck with that. A lot stuff bolted to the body will turn the car back into a -12v ground. The speedometer housing is its ground connection and bolted to the body. Lights also are built like this, and the wipers, and the radio. I could have pulled off a non-grounded chassis, but only because the buggy body is fiberglass so bolting things to it doesn't ground them. I have ground wires collecting at a stud on the frame at one point up front and another in back.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:09 PM

Ziggythewiz will become famous soon enough

Even if the 12V system isn't isolated from the chassis, at least with separate wiring you'll have more reliable connections.

Share or Bookmark this