DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Vantage van battery upgrade advice

9K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  StanSimmons 
#1 ·
I want to switch out the lead acid batteries in my 2010 Vantage EVP 1000 for Lithium -any advice; battery brands etc., or perhaps a place I can get the conversion done in the Seattle area?

I will list the controller model (Curtis), on board charger and current battery particulars later today.

#2 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Same result -but I found the same videos on utube. Very interesting -looks like the conversion is pretty seamless, especially with the shorter Lithium batteries available now -no need to alter the tray. I guess I just need to learn more about the charger and controller and what size pack they will be compatable with.

Is the "bottom balancing" they talk about in the videos normally necessary with a brand new set of batteries -or just with a mismatched set?

#7 · (Edited)
Jack is a big believer in bottom balancing and running without a BMS... Other people do top balancing and use a BMS. It is kind of a religious subject with many people, read a bit about it and make your own decision.

It doesn't appear to be strictly necessary with most new current production cells, but I'm going to be bottom balancing my pack. If you have an unmatched set then you absolutely need to do some sort of balancing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.