Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 02:38 PM

Ace_bridger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: VW Golf Mk2 - VoltsWagon

Thanks Mora, that will help me to specify my wiring and fuses, etc. I plan to specify all the wiring to cope with 500A and 144V just to give me the scope to make changes later to maximise the controller.

I have bought a 500A ammeter and shunt too and it looks like I've just found a vacuum switch from a guy here in the UK. I'm going to run without a reservoir to see how it goes as I have found a UP28 pump which should be fine without. It must be better than the central locking pump that is on there at the moment!!

With my intended 144V 60Ah lithium pack I will have room to spare in my rear battery tray and won't even touch the front one!! This thing is going to be light!!! I might use the space up front for groceries and shopping. Might help with traction too
Old 02-07-2012, 02:40 PM

josh-uk is on a distinguished road

A very nice car and setup, I am interested to see how your conversion turns out, keep the pictures coming! BTW, I like the name, original
Old 02-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Cheers Josh. Mora and I are planning a trip to the Nurburgring!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:18 AM

That's quite a drive, how do you plan on getting the ev's there? Remember to film the lap btw
Old 02-08-2012, 11:39 AM

It would take few recharges, eh?! I'm not serious...it was a little joke!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:06 AM

heheh i know i know tow a trailer with a ton diesel generator on it, should get you there!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 PM

Hi Fin,

My Open Revolt controller, programmed for Hall Effect 'throttle' has been dispatched and is somewhere in the San Fran area. Hopefully it will find its way to me in the next week.

The charger is ordered and is being manufactured as we speak. I'm going for a 144V pack.

The batteries is where the greatest effort has been exerted. After much thought and consideration I decided upon 144V 60Ah of Sinoploy cells. I found a very useful person in Skooler, on here, and he offered great advice over a prolonged period. In the end though, due to a logistical problem of my own making (!), I have decided to go with cheap lead to get me going. If they last two years then great. I'll then reconsider my options.

The Sinopoly cells would have offered a nice simple install and would work out cheaper in the long run but...

I'll have a job to fit in the 12 lead batteries and the extra weight will cause me problems as the lithium would have been about 1/3 of the weight.

I found a secondhand, but unused, vacuum pump kit on eBay which was a bargain. I've gathered fuses, ammeter, shunt, voltmeter and a hair dryer (for in cab heating) and am ready to start assembling...just need to move house and have a baby!! Ah, and found a good source for EV200 contactors so am going with two of those...one for main and one for precharge. I'll need another to switch the hair dryer on and off too but I'll get the car going and street legal before worrying about heating.

What are you considering building?

Cheers,

Adam

Posted 03-19-2012 at 09:28 PM by Ace_bridger The controller kit arrived today!!! I went for the Open Revolt as originally planned. Paul has been great with advice in the early stages which continued through until delivery, a pleasure to deal with.

Having decided on lead I now need to choose something suitable. I'd like 12 off 12V Trojans and have seen some priced reasonably.

Once we've moved house I'll order the batteries and the charger should arrive at a similar time.

I laughed with a guy at work today who has just bought a VW Golf Mk4 GTi. We were calculating his running costs and specifically his fuel costs. The GTi does about 20 mpg so he's swapped cars with hsi wife as she does fewer miles each week. The sooner I can get the Mk2 on the road the better. I'll use the electric bike until then.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:40 PM

A hydraulic rig at work was being scrapped so I...ahem...help to lighten the load for the scrap man and now have some nice switches and emergency big red button!!

Also, I managed to get an unused vacuum pump kit from a guy who had bought it for a hot rod project which didn't happen. It's a nice piece of kit from The States and comes with vacuum switch, wiring, piping, mounting bolts, relay and instructions!!

I took my 18 month daughter out to the car at the weekend and we played in there...she loves it...I love it. It smells like a classic car and feels like a 'real' car. I grew up driving classics and I can't wait to get this on the road...a simple lightweight car without all these added extras like AC, sat nav, etc...love it!!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:53 PM

favguy is on a distinguished road

Hi Adam,

Nice to see you back, great news on getting the controller, I'm ordering mine from Paul this week!

How did you get on in the end regarding the UK VAT & Import duty? You can PM me if you prefer re. this

Can't wait to see piccies of the progress, looks like you'll be on the road in no time.

Paul
Old 03-21-2012, 04:01 PM

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the welcome back! I've decided to keep the blog running for posterity!!

PM sent. No issues with anything associatted with the controller. Paul was great. Will be getting to work on it after hours at work and one of our electronic gurus will be helping me ensure that the mod for Hall Effect goes smoothly...what with me being a Mech Eng afterall!!

Share or Bookmark this