I want 200 plus miles or maybe 300 - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 PM

kittydog42 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I want 200 plus miles or maybe 300

It will only be a matter of time before diesel hybrids are on the market, I believe. The problem at the present time is that the manufacturers have to contend with the ultra low sulfur diesel requirements, and they don't see the high cost of development as justified in the North American market. I would guess that Volkswagen will be the first one to come out with such a vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 07:37 AM

dragster is on a distinguished road

Hi
The best generator is made by kubota marine 40KW diesel it uses about 1 cup of fuel per hour. But you can't run the engine directly off the generator it has to run the battery charger. On 240 volts it takes about 2 hours for a full charge so you will need to start it up as soon as you leave for a long trip. As for the pollution I say go and pollution it still will cut your fuel bill to just a gallon or so.
Please keep in mine that as the government keeps spending money that it dose not have you will see $5 to $10 dollar a gallon gas real soon so do it now.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:07 AM

sedge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster View Post
Hi
The best generator is made by kubota marine 40KW diesel it uses about 1 cup of fuel per hour. But you can't run the engine directly off the generator it has to run the battery charger. On 240 volts it takes about 2 hours for a full charge so you will need to start it up as soon as you leave for a long trip. As for the pollution I say go and pollution it still will cut your fuel bill to just a gallon or so.
Please keep in mine that as the government keeps spending money that it dose not have you will see $5 to $10 dollar a gallon gas real soon so do it now.

yeah i know, fuel will be high again in a few years or less.

i'll check that kubota motor out, thanx.

i know i cannot tun directly, but it will help one to go further and also the capacity to charge while your parked if not electrical set up is available.

i still wonder what size battery pack i would need to go that number of miles with the diesel genset....
Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Administrator

david85 will become famous soon enough

How much can you afford to spend on this? With enough cash anythings possible.

There was a conversion of a toyota pickup years ago that used 40 trojan lead acid batteries and could get about 120 miles per charge (RIP). The thing was utterly packed with batteries, but switching directly to lithium would in theory yield anywhere from 2x-4x the range depending on the exact setup.

Also helps to know what the exact vehicle model is? Sonoma 4 door? Nissan?

What woud be your average speed? Lots of city driving or lots of driving at 75 MPH freeway?

All I had to do was build it.. http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ion-26587.html

Garage: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/206

Forum Rules and terms of service:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/faq.php
Old 10-28-2009, 11:32 AM

Crash is on a distinguished road

AC Propulsion's system has the hybrid system already built in. Their system is expensive, but would probably save on the cost of doing the hybrid setup yourself as well as save you from having to buy a charger and dc/dc converter.

The benefit here is that the system is almost all inclusive. Charger, regenerative breaking, hybrid capability, 200KW motor, dc/dc converter, and because the motor revs to 13K RPM, you can gear it down 2:1 to make double the torque.

Honestly, IMO, this is the best solution. However, I don't know if they sell to individuals anymore. I remember I tried my hardest to contact them a couple years ago through email over and over and never got a response from them.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 PM

everanger is on a distinguished road

just thowing this out there what about building the generator into your trailer. then when you dont need the extra range your not carring the weight when you do hook up and go.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:34 PM

Sunking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittydog42 View Post
It will only be a matter of time before diesel hybrids are on the market, .
Not if the EPA has its way. They have killed just about every diesel that comes to the USA market. I have been waiting on the diesel Honda Accord for 5 years. If I could get away with it, I would go to Europe or Japan and ship one back.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:53 PM

Crash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking View Post
Not if the EPA has its way. They have killed just about every diesel that comes to the USA market. I have been waiting on the diesel Honda Accord for 5 years. If I could get away with it, I would go to Europe or Japan and ship one back.
I don't know. I think Mercedes got diesel cars in.

Bio diesel hybrids would be cool. Won't happen for some time, though.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Administrator

david85 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking View Post
Amen to that! But diesels are still a dirty word here in north america. We have 2 diesels from the mid 80s that predate much of the harder regulations and you would be surprised to see just how economical and clean they really are despite having no emission controls. Unless you consider a turbocharger to be an emission control.

I once got chewed out for suggesting that a diesel would be better than a hybrid under certain conditions and that combining the two would be best.

The practical reason you won't see diesel/electric hybrids is that diesels and hybrids both carry an added cost premium. Combining the two would make for a politically conflicted car that costs more than a diesel or hybrid so it would be a very risky move.

Technically a great idea, but I doubt some one in his mid 20s like me will ever live to see it happen.

I could say more regarding the EPA, but I won't.

All I had to do was build it.. http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ion-26587.html

Garage: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/206

Forum Rules and terms of service:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/faq.php
Old 10-29-2009, 04:31 AM

fishguts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by everanger View Post
just thowing this out there what about building the generator into your trailer. then when you dont need the extra range your not carring the weight when you do hook up and go.

This is an excellent idea by-the-way. Call it the "Long Ranger Trailer". There, I went and gave someone a marketable product name.

I might use this one myself ...

Share or Bookmark this