I want to build an EV! Where do I start? - Page 21 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 03:02 PM

CrazyAl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I want to build an EV! Where do I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgray2 View Post
All,

Considering a father / son project for my sons first car.

Looking at a 1959 Ford F-100 as the project car.

- It's factory curb weight is 3000 lbs
- It has a 3 speed transmission.
- We live in SW PA so lots of hills.
- Would like the truck to be highway capable - sustained 70 MPH
- Want truck to have respectable performance, no race car, but no snoozer either
- Would like a reliable range of 70 miles

Would like to put weight of batteries in (under)? the bed to get weight over drive wheels.

Need to understand if this is doable and at what approximate cost.

- What size motor?
- How many of what type of battery?
- And a whole bunch of questions that I don't even know that I don't know...

Thanks in advance!
In my opinion, your proposed project is doable.
Check out this 1958 Chevy Pick up Truck which was converted to electric. Although, it is not a Ford, I would imagine that they would have some similarities.

The only thing is that I'm not sure how easy it is to get Azure Dynamics parts.

Here is a 2002 Ford F150 Electric Conversion which might be of interest for you to look at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 04:05 PM

Caps18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgray2 View Post
All,

Considering a father / son project for my sons first car.

Looking at a 1959 Ford F-100 as the project car.

- It's factory curb weight is 3000 lbs
- It has a 3 speed transmission.
- We live in SW PA so lots of hills.
- Would like the truck to be highway capable - sustained 70 MPH
- Want truck to have respectable performance, no race car, but no snoozer either
- Would like a reliable range of 70 miles

Would like to put weight of batteries in (under)? the bed to get weight over drive wheels.

Need to understand if this is doable and at what approximate cost.

- What size motor?
- How many of what type of battery?
- And a whole bunch of questions that I don't even know that I don't know...

Thanks in advance!
I am working on converting a S10. It has a similar weight and size. I am going to use a 9" Warp motor and 120V LiFePO4 batteries (100 Ah).

But, Ohio is rather flat compared to SW PA. My Dad is from there, and I have spent some time there.

Your issues are going to be how many batteries you will need to get the range you are looking for. You will probably need 144V and 200 Ah to go that distance. Lead batteries are cheaper, but won't last very long compared to Lithium.

How much highway driving is another thing. Trucks aren't very aerodynamic, and going fast isn't good for range.

While it is a good project idea, it won't be cheap, and you could buy a new car for twice the price. It isn't a pick-up truck, but it is the easy way out. If you could live with 40 miles range or use Lead Acid, it might be better financially in the short term.

Last edited by Caps18; 05-20-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:30 AM

Volksian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsiddle View Post
Just starting out on my EV and was thinking about cabin heating in the UK and thought instead of trying to fit a ceramic heater in place of the heater core under the dash why not use the original cooling pipes with a small DC pump and a heater from a dishwasher and pump antifreeze around the original heater core. The heaters are just a piece of stainless steel pipe with a heater wrapped around it.
I have just got hold of a 2kv heater (UK standard) as an experiment. Ideally I would like to get one from the States cuz then it would be a 110v and my battery pack will be about 144/150v.
john
Sorry for the delay in responding John. Great to hear you've just started out on this. Can't wait to see how the heating progresses.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:20 AM

johnsiddle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volksian View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding John. Great to hear you've just started out on this. Can't wait to see how the heating progresses.
No worries.

I am about to start a new thread documenting my progress.

My pump arrived from China, it is small but has quite a pressure and shifts a lot of water.
I didn't bother with the 230v heater I got from UK but bought a USA one (120v) so I am awaiting its arrival.
anyway I will save the rest for my construction thread.
John
Old 09-15-2012, 11:09 PM

mccallk is on a distinguished road
Question How much more difficult would this be...

Okay, so i want to convert a car to electric, but first i'd like to know if inwheel motors are a possibility for converts and if so the difference in efficiency/top speed/ acceleration/ difficulty. i'm already well aware that the project would require much more forethought than an average conversion.

has anyone done this yet who can offer advice besides not to try it?
thanks!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:31 AM

Anaerin is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: How much more difficult would this be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccallk View Post
Okay, so i want to convert a car to electric, but first i'd like to know if inwheel motors are a possibility for converts and if so the difference in efficiency/top speed/ acceleration/ difficulty. i'm already well aware that the project would require much more forethought than an average conversion.

has anyone done this yet who can offer advice besides not to try it?
thanks!
In-Wheel motors are rarer than gold-plated rocking-horse excrement. There are plenty of companies that are touting their availability, but if you actually contact them about it, they are only willing to work with Vehicle Manufacturers to get them built.

This has been the situation for the last 8 years or so, and it seems that it's not going to change any time soon.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:12 PM

jdsanderson is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: I want to build an EV! Where do I start?

Visit evmaker.tumblr.com It is not my whole story but it documents the progress of my build.

First I built a motor controler with an arduino as it's brain.

Then I bought a scrap induction motor and re wound it for a lower voltage.

Then i bought a ford ranger removed the ice, gas tank, fule lines and trany.

Then I made an adapter to attach the flywheel to the e-motor shaft and a cradle bracket to hold the motor to the trany and frame.

Then installed it in the truck , hooked up the controler, added fla batery.......

SHAZAM! the electric truck is born.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:21 PM

ADSL is on a distinguished road

Hi im new over here I was trying to research a bit about EV stuff but i will like to resolve some doubts i have about it.

As I understeand is beter if we use a light weight car, but this is my situation.

I have a Dodge Spirit RT 2.5 turbo what i just keep it because I like it, i use it just 2 times per month and normally is for take it at drag racing, the times of this car on 1/4 mille are not impressive but are enought for have fun (14.5 secs at 5,138 ft elevation).

This car is also used as transport so is complete and stock talking about interiors. Lets say if im not on race track with it i will use it for no more than 60 miles per day prolly always is half of that.

So if i want to have the same speed and acceleration i have atm with the 2.5 turbo engine what is arround 230 hp max speed more than 120 m/h (thats the limit on speedometer runs faster than that, how much i have no idea) still able to make a run on 1/4 mille on 14.5 secs and be able to use it on highway as a normal car..

Is this possible? and what I will need thinking that cost wont be to much trouble.

I already destroy at last 4 engines on this car and 5 gear boxes so i was thinking about on the next time and make it electric sounds like a good idea.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:10 AM

emillkim is on a distinguished road

My name is Emill.

I have a 1971 honda n600. It's about the size of a mini and probably weighs about the same

I have zero experience with electronics and motors but have a friend who owns a honda garage and machine shop.

My hopeful desired range is 60 miles

My budget would be ideally on the cheap. I'm going to try to do all the labor myself. What can $8000 do for me? What would be a realistic budget?

Thanks everyone. Sorry if I'm just living a fools dream.

Emill
Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 AM

Yabert is on a distinguished road

Hi Emill
It's not a dream.
With such little car and a limited power requirement your goal is reachable. But keep in mind you will need 4-5K$ just for the battery to do 60 miles. Add 2-4K$ for the rest of component needs to do a nice 72v conversion. Putting all those battery in the small car will be the major challenge.
You can start your own thread to receive more help.

Share or Bookmark this