Wellington Owners/Enthusiests - Page 3 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Clubs > NZEVA

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 02:37 AM

karlos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wellington Owners/Enthusiests

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp_lynx View Post
Hey all,

For a change and for local mates here in Auckland/nearby far north , i'm in West harbor and already started on my conversion (more like scratch built project, honestly) with not so bad progress i have so far.
XP sounds like we need an Auckland (and surrounding suburbs eg Whangarei) Owners/Enthusiasts group. What do you think? Your project sounds interesting, any details you want to share? One of my interests was to start from scratch with an EXO framed EV similar to these ones http://www.detroitev.com/ fun but little practical about it....
Just checked out whats in your garage, quite a project!

Last edited by karlos; 05-17-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 02:55 AM

Grant_NZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
and that's the garage listing..

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/256

Any help, advise, do's-dont's, suggestion would be very helpful and totally advantageous.

Thanks!!
Hey lynx cool looking donor but what is it?? Ive never seen one of those but it does like 'futuristic' kinda

Grant
Old 05-17-2010, 02:56 AM

Hey guys, I'm in Welly too, I'd be keen to meet up and see anyone's progress. Ive just talked my partner into using the Hilux Surf we've got into electric but we need to purchase another vehicle first. Its got a 5 speed box and its in excellent condition, low ks and currently used as our daily driver so converting it makes sense but unfortunately we got a house to finish renovating, sell and then find another

Grant
Old 05-17-2010, 04:17 AM

NZero is on a distinguished road

Well maybe Ruben could chime in here and perhaps we could see the legacy underway?

There's only a stripped car at mine but alot of info available that could be passed around a bbq table?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:05 AM
NZEVA Member

samborambo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to samborambo Send a message via Skype™ to samborambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_NZ View Post
Hey guys, I'm in Welly too, I'd be keen to meet up and see anyone's progress. Ive just talked my partner into using the Hilux Surf we've got into electric but we need to purchase another vehicle first. Its got a 5 speed box and its in excellent condition, low ks and currently used as our daily driver so converting it makes sense but unfortunately we got a house to finish renovating, sell and then find another

Grant
So you're going to make an Electrolux?

I've been thinking about converting my 4WD L200 to diesel hybrid. One conversion at a time tho. Still have to finish my MR2...
Old 05-17-2010, 09:53 AM

xp_lynx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to xp_lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlos View Post
XP sounds like we need an Auckland (and surrounding suburbs eg Whangarei) Owners/Enthusiasts group. What do you think? Your project sounds interesting, any details you want to share? One of my interests was to start from scratch with an EXO framed EV similar to these ones http://www.detroitev.com/ fun but little practical about it....
Hi karlos, show me the dotted line to sign on for the owners/enthusiasts group , i'm in. I'll be the first to volunteer a garage day too.

Heaps of details i'd love to share, but first off, let the photos speak for themselves and then we can "tom and jerry" back and forth with ideas, thoughts, and suggestions

Fantastic idea regarding the Det EV link, go for it! Kinda reminds me of Ian Wright's X1 Electric Supercar, check it out! Can you imagine doing some 0-100Kms in 3 secs, i bet it would give a motorway patrol officer a heart attack and next thing you know you're on the 6 o'clock news with air surveillance choppers chasing you

Hey Grant, how's it going. Sold the Mitsi that i grabbed on TM the other day and moved on to this new baby , do you remember our interesting chat a while back me, you, and Sam on that 4x4's conversion idea. I so you've got yourself and head around doing one (Hilux), hehehehe, cool eih! Good luck with that.

Karlos/Grant, i'm gonna share a bit of Kiwi history about this car with you on a new entry soon (not that i know it all, but heard some bats gossiping here and there (not birds, yes bats as i only work at night and barely say daylight) and heard the other bits and pieces from the odd Joe).

To me, this car is the b@$tard child of an orgy between the 1972 De Tomaso Pantera/1974 De Tomaso, 1979 Ferrari 308GTB, Heron MJ1 Coupe, Lotus Eclate/Espirit/Excel. You see when all these "partiers" met, this was the abandoned birth project car.... excuse my french!

With a little and quick rather few minutes photoshoping, here's what originally was and here's one, among the millions of plans i have for it! EnJoY !!

1 - Original condition when bought

2 - Some quick modding by raising the front wheel and merging the 2 rear windows in 1 bigger window.

3 - Merging the 2 front windows to 1

4 - Merging all the windows together to one huge aeronautical cockpit style single window, and chopped off the front ugly looking lower crooked bumper, cool yeah!

P.S. To best understand and visualize how different the photos are, download them and have a Picture or JPEG "slide show". You will be able to spot the differences then Sorry for positing the pics in this dumb way, but the file size limitations on the website are so darn small (98Kbs, What the heck)!! Didn't want to sacrifice resolution for your visual pleasures!!

Last edited by xp_lynx; 05-17-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samborambo View Post
So you're going to make an Electrolux?
lol yeah um maybe not

Quote:
Hey Grant, how's it going. Sold the Mitsi that i grabbed on TM the other day and moved on to this new baby , do you remember our interesting chat a while back me, you, and Sam on that 4x4's conversion idea. I so you've got yourself and head around doing one (Hilux), hehehehe, cool eih! Good luck with that.
All the paint fumes must have gone to my head so Im a little unsure to that exact conversation but yes it will be cool and no it wont be a vaccume cleaner thanks Sam

I though of doing it like Brian's conversion - http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...-ev-35419.html

Quote:
With a little and quick rather few minutes photoshoping, here's what originally was and here's one, among the millions of plans i have for it! EnJoY !!
Yep that's awesome... I like the big window and the whole shape of the car is just so 80's but I reckon keep the front spoiler,might help with drag, get a few extra k's?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:13 AM
NZEVA Member

samborambo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to samborambo Send a message via Skype™ to samborambo

Quote:
lol yeah um maybe not
Haha! Only poking fun mate. This guy's already done an Electrolux:

http://a4x4kiwi.blogspot.com/

Sam.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Yep that's awesome... I like the big window and the whole shape of the car is just so 80's but I reckon keep the front spoiler,might help with drag, get a few extra k's?
Grant, please elaborate some more here if you don't mind on what you just said, i.e. "...might help with drag..." and what that "technically" means.

lol, it just flew past my head real quick. I wish i had the aeronautical/aerodynamic knowledge to grasp that, but please spell it out to me in lay man's terms as to how beneficial is it with that ugly looking spoiler extra I'd really want to justify keeping it for a good reason otherwise i'd almost had got it chopped off today., but luckly i didn't yet
Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlos View Post
hey Karlos, some paper attached below (that is yet to turn into weed when it dries) for you to smoke and get high over If your an adrenaline junky, which i'm certain you are, you will most certainly love this! EnJoY!!

***EDITED*** Resolution of the attached small file sucks, grab it from here!! for a bigger image/better quality
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raser_Edge_Slick_05-web.jpg (98.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by xp_lynx; 05-18-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Share or Bookmark this