What's Better? - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM

EVEngineeer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default What's Better?

Which is better for range and top speed... (1) A pickup truck, because it can hold lots of batteries, but not very aerodynamic. (2) A car that is very aerodynamic, but can't hold as many batteries? What is the average amount of batteries that can be stored in a pickup truck verses a car? 40 and 60? I am talking about lithium batteries. I'm also saying that the vehicle must have at least a top speed of 70mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 11:27 AM

McRat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEngineeer View Post
Which is better for range and top speed... (1) A pickup truck, because it can hold lots of batteries, but not very aerodynamic. (2) A car that is very aerodynamic, but can't hold as many batteries? What is the average amount of batteries that can be stored in a pickup truck verses a car? 40 and 60? I am talking about lithium batteries. I'm also saying that the vehicle must have at least a top speed of 70mph.
A truck is more useful. However at freeway speeds Aerodynamics are the number 1 power drain, and it varies a lot.

The most aerodynamic mass-produced car is the year 2000 vintage Honda Insight. It will take under 10% as much power to go 70mph in a full sized pickup, 20% as minitruck.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:22 PM

rwaudio will become famous soon enough

Since you mention lithium I would say the car, if it was lead I would say the truck. If it was low speed where the Aerodynamics is less important the truck might also be a better choice, but given the speed an aerodynamic car should be your best option.

http://electricporsche.ca
Old 07-27-2012, 12:51 PM

Note, if you are using a truck...

The Extended Cab S-10 pickups with a bed cover are about as aero as you get in something worth driving.

Now there are some tricks:

Narrow E rated tires or other high pressure tires (80PSI for E).

You can block off the grill 100%, which is a huge drain (do this for the Insight as well).

Lower it, and put a "belly pan" on it.

There are other aero tricks, but those will make an S-10 about 25% cleaner? IIRC.

There is a 4x4 version as well. Remove the rear driveshaft, put a straight floating axle in the back without a differential - Like a trailer axle. Run it FWD through the front diff. Or start with a VW Rabbit pickup if you can find one that isn't junk. They are FWD (lighter).

Last edited by McRat; 07-27-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:19 PM

I know that Aerodynamics is more important for the efficiency for long range at high speeds. I know many ways to modify a vehicles Aerodynamics. I have been to the site http://ecomodder.com/ Of course yo can modify a vehicle to make it more aerodynamic. Ok, so then lets say this differently. If I modify a car and a pickup truck which is better?
Old 07-27-2012, 04:26 PM

Ziggythewiz will become famous soon enough

As everyone has said...it depends. What do you want/need?
Old 07-27-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEngineeer View Post
I know that aerodynamics is more important for the efficiency for long range at high speeds. I know many ways to modify a vehicles aerodynamics. I have been to the site http://ecomodder.com/ Of course yo can modify a vehicle to make it more aerodynamic. Ok, so then lets say this differently. If I modify a car and a pickup truck which is better?
Car is a better choice. My daily driver is a pickup, and I wouldn't have it any other way. You could get decent range with a minitruck like an S10 or VW Rabbit, but when it was time to put 2000+ lbs in the bed (something I do quite a bit), you'd be hurting on electric power, even if you weren't a public menace being so far overloaded.

After I learn the basics with motorcycles/solar, I'm going to run my 2500HD 4x4 as a high performance hybrid. It will run off batteries for my daily commute (my commute is 10miles), but be capable of stupid levels of performance when set to Kill. It will take some time though. The solar bike is getting close to the testing stage, then comes the Trials Motorcycle, and then the Hybrid. Why don't I just buy an electric car or motorcycle? What fun would THAT be?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:24 PM

Minimum range 100 miles@70mph. I see that the standard EV is 100 miles@45mph, but that would not be enough. I realize the money for this is very costly, but I would like to really know what it will take.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 PM

Ghetto math:

If an econobox that gets about 40 mpg highway with a gas engine goes 100 miles on battery, then a pickup that 20mpg highway would need twice the battery to go 100. If it was a 30mpg mini-pickup, then 50% more battery.

That is puzzling though. Economy gas cars today aren't. The 50+ mpg stuff was in the 80's-90's. How they get a pickup to get 20+ mpg highway that has twice the frontal area, worse Cd, and twice the weight, yet the cars get 40mpg is strange.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:06 AM

emosun is on a distinguished road

To do 70mph and go 100miles you'd have to tow a trailer full of batteries i think.

Share or Bookmark this