DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Yamaha Majesty 250 conversion

34K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  jaheen100 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been riding electric 2-wheelers since 1992, converted 2 cars, already own an electric motorcycle scooter, but this will be my first motorcycle conversion.
Land vehicle Vehicle Scooter Car Motor vehicle

I had a new Quanshun 100V 8kW (nominal) hub motor laying around so I thought I had to do something with it. :)

Other parts I will be using is:
30pcs (96V) CHL 50Ah Li-batteries.
Sevcon Gen4 Size4 max 350A controller.
Mini-BMS
DC/DC 300W
TCcharger 1500W

It will be some weeks before I get all the parts but I will soon start with the 2 most difficult things, the first is to remove the engine and weld brackets for the new rear swingarm. Secondly I have to find space for all the batteries and weld together a box for them.

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, finally I've got the time to start for real. Taken the scooter apart and it seems it should be possible to find space for the batteries, battery boxes and the other stuff. Also located a nice place for the Sevcon controller where the old cooler used to be.
Removing the old motor will add lots of room.
An advantange with hub motors...

Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

Games Indoor games and sports Recreation Number

#5 ·
First is to remove the engine and weld brackets for the new rear swingarm. Secondly I have to find space for all the batteries and weld together a box for them.
These 2 should be done simultaneously.
Design the new swingarm and brackets to accommodate the battery pack.
You might have to place cells beside the swingarm where the muffler was for example then the swingarm bracket would be narrow and reaching far forward, the swingarm itself could be very long reaching forward to where the riders feet are.

#9 ·
Well I have bought 30 cells and will start with that. The top speed will be around 110-120km/h.
I have a similar motor on ny other scooter and I can push that up to 13kW momentarily without a problem.
The controller can supply up to 34kW, so it¨s all up to my nerves how I will limit it. ;-)

#11 ·
Johnny it is worth giving Ripperton a look inside the motor to confirm how similar it is. If you can improve cooling and run even up to 20kw bursts for say 30s that will be a huge step in performance. I'm very interested in your build as I commute by motorcycle and would love an evbike.

#13 ·
Hi Johnny,

So I bounced myself to this forum to see your current scooter project. I should be able to gain some knowledge on potential options for my project by following your ideas and layout... if that is cool as I want to have fairly high performance also.

Look forward to following your build!

#24 · (Edited)
Today I did the first complete test of all the electronics, No magic smoke anywhere!
BMS, DC/DC, instruments, lights and everything else seems fine.
Motor is also running, but I'm having some issues with the controller.
I have e-mail Sevcon, hopefully they can help me out. :)

-No luck there, have to buy 1000 controllers to qualify for support....seriously...
Will be some trial and error, luckily I have a few different files to test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.