Zigouras engineering gate driver **** - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Controllers

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 AM

Citystromer is on a distinguished road
Smile Zigouras engineering gate driver ****

A picture says a million words -
in this case it rendered me speechless -

As I had written before, I`m waiting now close to 6 month to receive parts to get my ep junior controller repaired.

I received another mail from Mr. Paul Zigouras, stating the parts are on the way, and an installation guide to assemble the now new and impoved genuine Zigouras engineering circuit.

I did ask about the purpose of the fuses on the gate, the answer was:

"They`ll protect the electronics"
Don`t any body say, there`s no protection circuitry in epc industrial controllers!

Could it be EPC`s New Year Joke? Can someone ask please?

Btw, sofar I did`t receive any parts nor a tracing number.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuses.jpg (89.2 KB, 186 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 05:17 AM

major has a spectacular aura aboutmajor has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Zigouras engineering gate driver ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystromer View Post
A picture says a million words -
in this case it rendered me speechless -
Hi Citystromer,

Will you please clarify exactly what is in the photo and where it came from? Is it a controller made and sold by EPC?

Thanks,

major
Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 AM

Slowly I begin to doubt Mr. Zigouras knowledge about powerelectronics.

As overshooting voltages resulting in spikes and ringing are known hurdles with hard switching pwm, adjusting rise and fall times offer a remedy to this.

How come, it`s not used in epc`s industrial controllers?

Clamping the gate is not just a good idea. How come it`s not found on epc controllers?

Paul, those are questions about understanding power electronics:

Could a long gatewire in combination with a fuse increase di/dt and why do designers try to minimize especially this parasitic element?

A high di/dt with a gate charge, forms …. what?

Why is it, that a designer can not simply add max volt and amp values when rating their controller, what would you suspect to be the reason for this, Mr. Zigouras?

How do you determine the maximum voltage and the maximum current your industrial controllers should be exposed to, without roasting them?
(Hint) The ep jr did work fine dimming a light bulb at 60V in my lab.

Mr. Zigouras, here you have the unique chance to show us your superior engineering knowledge by answering to those very reasonable questons, of a customer -
Old 01-03-2012, 06:45 AM

Tesseract has a spectacular aura aboutTesseract has a spectacular aura aboutTesseract has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Slowly you begin to doubt?!? We've been doubting his knowledge of anything besides how to scam people for months now!

Quote:
As overshooting voltages resulting in spikes and ringing are known hurdles with hard switching pwm, adjusting rise and fall times offer a remedy to this.
I strongly suggest you stop providing any help at all to Paul Zigouras - even help as minimal as this. It would truly be awful if "EPC" were then able to make a controller that survived for longer than a few seconds at high voltage, because then it would have a much better chance of actually killing someone.

Into EV's? Check out ChargedEVs Magazine
Old 01-03-2012, 02:13 PM

DJBecker is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I'm now intrigued by this controller.

Partially by how the design manages to work at all with an inductive load. Also by how sloppy the construction standards are.

I've gone back and read the other threads, but would still like a few more pictures of the circuit boards.

We also built our prototype gate driver on a perf board (with two 9V batteries as our isolated gate supply). Even there our build standards were far higher than what I've seen in the pictures -- ours was compact, neat, symmetrical, had decoupling capacitors right next to the gate driver, and used TVS protection. We used that board only until we understood the behavior and problems, and then had a PC board made. I couldn't imagine driving around with a perfboard gate driver, let alone considering it suitable for a "commercial" product.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:41 PM

major has a spectacular aura aboutmajor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
I strongly suggest you stop providing any help at all to Paul Zigouras - even help as minimal as this. It would truly be awful if "EPC" were then able to make a controller that survived for longer than a few seconds at high voltage, because then it would have a much better chance of actually killing someone.
I second the motion http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...&postcount=231
Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 PM

[QUOTE=DJBecker;277127]OK, I'm now intrigued by this controller.

Stop! Stop! Stop!
Lets not be intrigued by anything engineer P.Zigouras does, did or plans on doing.

Let him answer all the questions - or be silent.

See Tesseract, he is absolutely right:
(I`m not up to date with blogging and so
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystromer

Slowly you begin to doubt?!? We've been doubting his knowledge of anything besides how to scam people for months now!

Hey I tried to be polite, was hoping to get some money back ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystromer

Old 01-03-2012, 06:45 PM

DJBecker is an unknown quantity at this point

There are plenty of examples around on how to design a robust, working controller. Not discussing a design won't change that. And a big part of designing a reasonable controller is writing the firmware.

I would really like to see pictures. Especially to see if the "control" circuit board is still a eBay LED PWM driver.

BTW, I note that the gate fuses are automotive "ATO" fuses. We briefly considered those, but they are rated for 32V. Many failures will result in full traction voltage being applied to unexpected circuits. In this case it could happen with a breakdown of the gate insulation from an inductive spike -- a likely failure mode. Even though we "know" that any arc in the fuse would be extinguished by an exploding gate resistor, it's still not a good design to use protection you know to be under-rated.

Last edited by DJBecker; 01-03-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by major View Post
Hi Citystromer,

Will you please clarify exactly what is in the photo and where it came from? Is it a controller made and sold by EPC?

Thanks,

major
How I got this photo, and what it is supposed to be:

On the 27. dec. I received this picture, explaining that this is how the new design of epc. I asked what the fuses should protect, the answer was: Sorry thy won`t protect the igbts, but they will protect the electronics.

On the 30 I received another (one out of many,many) mail from either Paul or his "sevice man" Will, that my order consisting of 2 igbt modules plus a complete set of electronics had ben shipped.
I`ve heared that before -

On the 31. I received another mail, again with the fuse pic attached as well as an installation description, in which he describes how to install everything. am I?

Did I see a patent pending for epc corp - maybe another 6 Million hush deal?
Old 01-04-2012, 04:19 AM

[QUOTE=DJBecker;277172] Not discussing a design won't change that. And a big part of designing a reasonable controller is writing the firmware.

That`s right, emphasising discussion -

Since neither Paul, nor Will from EPC Corporation is willing to answer my questions -

questions to a product that I had bought,

may bee one of you guys, also potential customers of EPC corp. could bring light into the - so far dark sides of ep- controllers and chargers ratings, features, and standards used and selected.

Or is it: Our standard is to have no standard, and the ep 1000 is good for 2000A because I say so, when I say so?

Is it: Our World Wide No Fault 12 Month Manufacturer Warrenty is of such nature, that if 3000 Miles away it is very difficult to send replacement parts?
I have ben called a liar many times - please - try to find out what lies that were - it resulted in a big delay to get my warrenty -

Until totay I haven`t gotten anything yet - exept mails, mails, mails. friendly mails.

Share or Bookmark this

Tags
ep 1000 controller, epc controller