Good motorcycle conversion candidates - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Electric Bikes

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2008, 08:42 PM

ngrimm is on a distinguished road
Default Good motorcycle conversion candidates

Just wondering if those of you who have converted a m/c or have researched it quite a bit could suggest some to consider or avoid. I know everyone has their own taste but I am looking for ideas for either street or dual sport 10 or more years old due to the cost. My main concern is a frame style that allows four or more decent sized lead acid batteries and a 6" x 10" or larger motor without chopping the bottom off the frame. I think a shaft drive is out since gearing is fixed. It would be for cruising around town so a Gold Wing is too big. Am I asking for too much? Norm

Last edited by ngrimm; 03-28-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:08 AM

sharp21 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Good motorcycle conversion candidates

Well I havent built one yet, but from the research I have done I would say that twin downtubes up front is important, for mounting the batteries.
I think any of the older streetbikes will work fine. Ive got a soft spot for the gixxer 750 so thats what I am looking for.
Any of the older standards should have plenty of room. CB750, Eddie Lawson Z1000
I think the trick is to go to your local wreckers & find a decent roller cheap.
S.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:22 PM

I have a good lead on a 90 Ninja ZX10 (1000 cc) that is a rolling chassis with a title. The top end of the engine is gone as well as most of the plastics. In the Evalbum it appears there are more Ninjas than about any other type converted. I imagine it is because lots of battery room and the fairing covers them and also has a chain drive. I think the original engines/trans weigh around 250 lbs. Not sure if that would be enough lead to give decent performance or range.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

mattW is a glorious beacon of lightmattW is a glorious beacon of lightmattW is a glorious beacon of lightmattW is a glorious beacon of lightmattW is a glorious beacon of light

The reason there are so many ninjas is because there is a book called secrets of the el ninja that goes through how to convert a ninja to an EV. What Ah batteries are you planning on using? Make sure you use a high voltage (72V+) if you want decent performance. It will cost more but you will get good acceleration and top speed. Your donor sounds really nice, there would be a ton of room on a 1000cc bike for batteries. Just make up mock-ups of the batteries you want in cardboard to make sure they will fit. Remember the centre of gravity can be made quite low on the bike and if you aren't going to carry a passenger I would say that you can get away with going over the weight of the original drive-train.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:59 PM

Here is a pic of the Ninja roller I am supposed to pick up tomorrow. I sold my Holset turbo to get this but I think it will be worth it. It comes with the front forks, wheel, and tank though they are not shown. Can't wait to get started on the conversion. Norm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90 ninja1.jpg (19.2 KB, 106 views)
Old 04-05-2008, 04:36 AM

sharp21 is on a distinguished road

Thats great! Cant wait to see the progress
S.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:16 AM

Phyber Optik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrimm View Post
Here is a pic of the Ninja roller I am supposed to pick up tomorrow. I sold my Holset turbo to get this but I think it will be worth it. It comes with the front forks, wheel, and tank though they are not shown. Can't wait to get started on the conversion. Norm
That 1000cc will give some nice room for batts I'd think.

However, please keep in mind that your Ninja - as with many sport bikes - incorporates the engine as a stressed member of the frame to some degree or another.

Without the stressed member, this could place the frame under significant stresses.

In addition, when you add batteries, typically the curb weight will be higher than the original ICE.

Just something to keep an eye on at least - especially the welds around the steering head. A cracked weld there could be deadly.

Perhaps you could incorporate into your battery boxes a meaty brace between the original engine mounting points from the foot peg area to the upper frame.

Good luck on your project.

Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment.

But you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area.

-Agent Smith

Last edited by Phyber Optik; 07-21-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 PM

MitchJi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrimm View Post
I think a shaft drive is out since gearing is fixed.
Norm
Hi,

I don't think a shaft drive is a disadvantage. Check here:
http://reverendgadget.com/subpage1.html
Quote:
Here is the beginning of Gadget's electric bike. It is the transmission from a BMW K75 mated to an Advanced DC electric motor.
Mitch
Old 05-12-2008, 02:03 PM

hypnotoad is on a distinguished road

Your Ninja looks like it needs some serious cleaning. You have dirt and grease everywhere.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:09 PM

That's just ballast in case it is too fast. Also rust protection. I am accepting volunteers for cleaning if you find yourself in Oregon.

Last edited by ngrimm; 05-13-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Share or Bookmark this