Converting 2001 Passat - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2008, 09:40 PM

etischer will become famous soon enough
Default Converting 2001 Passat

Noob to the site, figure i'd introduce myself.

I just bought a 2001 Passat with the intention of converting to electric. I have also bought the Siemens / Ford 3 phase motor. Im planning on upgrading a 2 horse 3 phase drive to 90 horse by running external IGBT's. The vfd drive can run on 300vdc or 230v by tapping into the DC bus. Im planning on using a rubber rotoflex coupling to couple the motor to the passat manual transmission. The rotoflex couplings are used alot on driveshafts in BMW's Land Rovers and Jags. I plan on making the adapter plate myself.

I bought the car yesterday for $1800. It has a siezed cam due to oil starvation.

About 24 hours later Im almost ready to pull the engine out

I'll keep you all posted with my progress. Any one out there run external IGBT's on a 3 phase motor controller? That's my biggest unknown right now.

Cheers
eric.

Last edited by etischer; 06-15-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:46 AM

Weka is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Converting 2001 Passat

eischer
What batteries do you intend to use, and how many with what weight and where do you intend to put them?

Great buy getting a Passat at that price -they are nice cars
Old 06-16-2008, 05:25 AM

I haven't done a whole lot of research on batteries, I was planning on buying optima blue tops just to get started. I need 24. Was going to put 12 under the hood. Maybe 6 in the trunk, 2 where the muffler was, 1 in the spare tire compartment, and 4 where the gas tank was. I think I could fit the remaining 12 in the trunk if I had to.

I am also looking at prius batteries, but I suspect I'd need atleast 5 packs. I don't like the idea of hooking up packs in parallel either.

I only need to go about 30 miles, and with 24 optimas, they don't need to be super huge ones. Peak current would be around 400 Amps.

The engine compartment has two frame rails that look pretty beefy. the trunk is quite large as well.

Last edited by etischer; 06-16-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:28 PM

I decided im using ~5000 NiMH AA's for my battery. They have the highest energy density, and they are the cheapest per Watt*hr. They have a ton of surface area for cooling, and would be a light weight alternative to C, D, F cells. They are the most common battery, so I think the most research goes into maximizing their performance. I plan on building 50V 20Ah packs.

Each pack will be fan cooled, and have an array of 20 x 40 cells. 20 cells in parallel should keep the pack balanced, if a cell is dead, there will be 19 others to share the load. If a battery charges sooner, the current will increase to the ones that can still take a charge.

Here is a decision matrix I made.

I plan on using that rotoflex coupling to connect my motor to my transmission.

Cleaned out my engine compartment this weekend. Making good progress!

http://etischer.com/awdev/

Last edited by etischer; 06-23-2008 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:52 AM

TheSGC is on a distinguished road

Looking good! Just one thing, your pack size seems pretty small. 300volt x 22 Ah is only 6.6KW of power. And from looking at the discharge graphs, they would only give you 10 to 15 minutes of power at EV rates of discharge. I might be missing something, but from my own research, the only NiMH that would even be EV feasible are the F cells, and about the time those were all priced, the lithium was cheaper. Those 2/3 AA can deliver 10 amps for a little over 4 minutes.

That Ford motor originally powered the Ranger EV that used ~300 volts 90Ah NiMH cells. 27KW of juice.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Craig is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Craig Send a message via Skype™ to Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSGC View Post
Looking good! Just one thing, your pack size seems pretty small. 300volt x 22 Ah is only 6.6KW of power. And from looking at the discharge graphs, they would only give you 10 to 15 minutes of power at EV rates of discharge. I might be missing something, but from my own research, the only NiMH that would even be EV feasible are the F cells, and about the time those were all priced, the lithium was cheaper. Those 2/3 AA can deliver 10 amps for a little over 4 minutes.

That Ford motor originally powered the Ranger EV that used ~300 volts 90Ah NiMH cells. 27KW of juice.
It's 6.6kWh if you're looking at the battery capacity.. btw that would be enough to drive 20-30km if it's anywhere near the calculations I had made for a similar car

Share or Bookmark this