new flavors of EV Display - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Batteries and Charging

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 12:01 PM

dimitri is on a distinguished road
Default new flavors of EV Display

Just wanted to share some new developments I have been working on lately.
Current version of EV Display has been quite popular in DIY EV community, but some people have been asking for data logging functions and wireless data streaming, so we developed following 2 variations in addition to classic 2" round pod unit.

Variation 1: Same as existing EV Display, but with integrated USB port, streaming serial data can be captured by any pc/laptop/tablet using industry standard FTDI USB-serial port drivers.

Sub-variation: some people asked for lower range, but higher resolution of current reading, so we will offer 150A version ( compared to 1000A existing version) for smaller battery packs. This unit will have 50mA current resolution, 1Ah pack size resolution (250AH limit), 0.01Ah SOC reading resolution, 0.1V voltage resolution ( only in 0-64V range, 1.0V resolution in other ranges ).

I tested this option with my 1.0Ah A123 cells and it worked perfectly. Such unit can be useful in the bench testing of various cells, etc.

Variation 2: Same as existing EV Display, but without LCD and with Bluetooth serial port, transmitting wireless data to any compatible receiver, such as Android phone/tablet , iPhone / iPad, laptop/tablet , etc etc. Uses industry standard Bluetooth SPP serial port.

Android GUI client app is being developed by my partners, I will let them speak for it since this is not my domain. Data protocol will be openly published so anyone can develop their own client applet if they want to.

I expect to finalize these units, document them and offer them at our Web store in a few weeks.
I am having troubles finding suitable enclosure for USB units, so will likely offer them as open boards for now, until I can figure out how to package them without doubling the cost.

Pics attached. Hope there is some interest out there.

DSC_3586.jpg

DSC_3582.jpg

Last edited by dimitri; 09-20-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:47 PM

Yukon_Shane is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new flavors of EV Display

Hey Dimitri,

I'm keenly interested in this revised EV display, particularly in option 2.

Any updates on the development of the android app?

Shane
Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Sorry Shane, I wish I had an update. I am still waiting for Android developer to provide status. Should be soon though.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:47 PM

jackbauer is on a distinguished road

Any rough pricing for the wireless version?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:56 PM

Both BT wireless and USB wired will retail at $199 each.
Not sure if Android app will be free or cost some $$, but should not be much.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:10 PM

jackbauer is on a distinguished road

Sounds good. I'll take one when they become available. Not too familliar with bluetooth but i'm guessing that it will use the serial port service option for the data stream? If so it would be easy to use a usb dongle on a pc or laptop.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:13 PM

Yukon_Shane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
Sorry Shane, I wish I had an update. I am still waiting for Android developer to provide status. Should be soon though.
No worries,

I just found out my battery order has been delayed and won't be here till mid-October now so I'm in no hurry (should have bought from CalbPower).

I'll definately be purchasing one of these new EVDisplays along with my BMS. I don't think there's anything on the market that compares to this product; particularly at this price.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:34 PM

valerun is on a distinguished road

Hi All - the misterious partner Dimitri has referred to is us (Electric Motor Werks) ;-)

As Dimitri mentioned, we have partnered up to develop the most flexible EV instrumentation system available on the DIY market. We believe that CleanPowerAuto's EV display system is the best data acquisition platform to base our instrumentation system on. We will in turn provide the Android connectivity and software. as well as Arduino-based integration with the remaining EV systems - controller, charger, and the car itself though the CANbus.

We are current finalizing the development of the Android application that can connect directly to the Dimitri's EV display. We plan to release the software on the Android market in the next 2 weeks.

The base version will be free, while the premium version with custom gauges, flexible gauge arrangements, maps integration, etc will be available for a small charge. However, we will waive that charge if you buy a complete EV display system through us.

I will let Michael from our team to comment on the technical specifics. I am really excited about this project and welcome ideas / suggestions for features, etc.

Thanks,
Valery.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 AM

pm_dawn is on a distinguished road

Are these ready for order yet ?

Regards
/Per
Old 12-09-2011, 04:50 PM

bjfreeman has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to bjfreeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerun View Post
Hi All - the misterious partner Dimitri has referred to is us (Electric Motor Werks) ;-)

As Dimitri mentioned, we have partnered up to develop the most flexible EV instrumentation system available on the DIY market. We believe that CleanPowerAuto's EV display system is the best data acquisition platform to base our instrumentation system on. We will in turn provide the Android connectivity and software. as well as Arduino-based integration with the remaining EV systems - controller, charger, and the car itself though the CANbus.

We are current finalizing the development of the Android application that can connect directly to the Dimitri's EV display. We plan to release the software on the Android market in the next 2 weeks.

The base version will be free, while the premium version with custom gauges, flexible gauge arrangements, maps integration, etc will be available for a small charge. However, we will waive that charge if you buy a complete EV display system through us.

I will let Michael from our team to comment on the technical specifics. I am really excited about this project and welcome ideas / suggestions for features, etc.

Thanks,
Valery.
I am glad to accross this thread. Being a system integrator that is in HEV, I have mulitple Canbus Devices from Dashboard, lights, power train and misc for RVing things.
there is a saying that the last 20% takes 90%.
If I can be of assistance I would love to use your setup.
BTW I am using a 10.2 tablet for dashboard display.

Share or Bookmark this