Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Administrator

rbgrn has disabled reputation
Default I want to build an EV! Where do I start?

For all new members and first timers, here is the basic guide to getting started.

If you haven't already you will need to Register to post in our forums

Start by posting a new topic in the EV Conversions Forum.
A good topic might be "Planning <make> <model> conversion"

What you will want to post is:
  • Your skill level with auto mechanics and fabrication
  • The range you are hoping to get (how many miles/charge)
  • What level of performance you are hoping to get
  • How much money you are willing to put into your project
  • What parts you've already considered, if any.
Members will help make recommendations and design assistance is generally good. They won't do all the work for you though so you must put in the time and come back with additional questions.

Make sure to have a look through the DIY EV Wiki, as much repeatable information is held there. If you make a discovery or want to help spread the knowledge you've obtained, please contribute. All registered users can add and edit existing wiki pages.

Once you've got your plan down and have started the build, head over to Technical Discussion to get into details of wiring, mounts, fabrication and any problems you've encountered. More savvy users will be able to assist you with your technical needs there.

If you're looking to build a much faster car or are trying to squeeze more bang for the buck out of your newly converted EV, post about in Performance Discussion.

If you're building or converting a motorcycle, bike or other two or three-wheeled vehicle, a good place to start would be in the Electric Bikes Forum.

As for parts and additional services, there are Classifieds, eBay auctions, and a Vendor Forum.

Good luck with your conversion!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2007, 06:07 PM

houseoffubar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I want to build an EV! Where do I start?

Great idea Robert!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:56 PM

trabant601 is on a distinguished road

I should have slowed down and read this when I first found the forum and read this first. I already did some of these thanks to supermoderator MattW and by accident. Now I am planning some steps for converting a Trabant. I knew of one and now, because MattW found a second, two. I have communicated with the Lynch Motor contractor for the first and am trying to communicate with the YOUTUBE "Electric Trabant Test" fellow. Or maybe its a gal. Check the Electric Trabant Thread for progress on the planning.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:19 PM

sotomikes is on a distinguished road

What do you guys think about converting a 2002 mini cooper ? I have been doing a lot of reading and I am thinking of this first project. I am wondering what I would need to make this car go 65+ miles on a charge and 65+ mph. What do you guys think? any help would be great.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:51 AM

T0DD is on a distinguished road

As far as the electric powered Mini goes, that is entirely doable. In fact, it has been done and you may have seen 3 of them and not realized it. In the Italian Job, the new one, most of the big chase scene in the sewers was done on an indoor set with electric conversion Minis. The rules prohibitted using petrol powered vehichles indoors, so 3 Minis were built using electric motors and deep cycle marine batteries.

Please build yours, please.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 AM

ga2500ev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0DD View Post
As far as the electric powered Mini goes, that is entirely doable. In fact, it has been done and you may have seen 3 of them and not realized it. In the Italian Job, the new one, most of the big chase scene in the sewers was done on an indoor set with electric conversion Minis. The rules prohibitted using petrol powered vehichles indoors, so 3 Minis were built using electric motors and deep cycle marine batteries.

Please build yours, please.
What's the range on that conversion?

ga2500ev
Old 05-19-2008, 05:19 PM

I've been looking for a 2002 donor car but not really any in a reasonable price range..
Old 05-20-2008, 08:20 PM

T0DD is on a distinguished road

Dont remember the range exactly, but it was decent considering the batteries used. Its such a small car anyway. A Mini seems like an expensive place to start. Maybe something a bit cheaper would allow you to save enough from gas to make up for the investment better than a Mini. Would be cool though.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0DD View Post
Dont remember the range exactly, but it was decent considering the batteries used. Its such a small car anyway. A Mini seems like an expensive place to start. Maybe something a bit cheaper would allow you to save enough from gas to make up for the investment better than a Mini. Would be cool though.
Ya I'm going to keep watching the prices for the 2002 as they go lower. Once they get into the 5k range I think I will have my donor car. Thanks for the input guys
Old 07-02-2008, 06:27 AM

slumpp is on a distinguished road

[quote=sotomikes;30926]What do you guys think about converting a 2002 mini cooper ? I have been doing a lot of reading and I am thinking of this first project. I am wondering what I would need to make this car go 65+ miles on a charge and 65+ mph. What do you guys think? any help would be great.[/quote
I shop the cooper used car market all the time.
The cheapest/worst mini that you will find is $10,000.00.
I think that there are cheaper/ lighter platforms available.
Lots of old Miatas out there... cheap 1990 on.
I own a 03' cooper and there are a lot of electrical systems on-board
IE. electric windows that index every time the door is opened and closed.
The early miatas have little to no computers onboard.
good luck!

Share or Bookmark this