What's next in removing ICE engine from S10? - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 11:31 AM

Caps18 is on a distinguished road
Default What's next in removing ICE engine from S10?

In the past few days, I have removed the radiator, engine coolant reservoir, air filter, battery, drained the oil, removed the oil filter, and exhaust system.

I still have the gas tank and fuel lines to take out this weekend.

But, I am trying to figure out what is next. I'm wondering about things like the throttle body (or at least the cable), power steering (it is attached to the engine), brake lines (I'm not doing anything with those)...

And then I don't know what to do about the clutch/manual transmission in order to remove the ICE engine.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 PM

TigerNut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's next in removing ICE engine from S10?

Next step: Get an S10 repair manual from your local auto parts place or the library. Haynes, Clymer, or Chilton's... they'll all give you detailed instructions for removal or replacement of any part of your car along with torque specifications for important fasteners.

The manual will (should) also have a complete wiring diagram for the OEM wiring, which is going to help you a lot when you're putting stuff back together.

Trying to do major car work without a shop manual is not a good idea, especially if you don't have very much experience with the mechanics side of cars.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:19 PM

I picked up the manual at the library today, hopefully it will identify a few parts that I'm not sure about.

Here is a picture of where things stand currently.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4191/...ersionday2.jpg

(The observant eye might notice the exhaust headers are still there. They will be gone tomorrow once I can make some loud noise to either drill out some bolts in the exhaust pipe to catalytic converter, or I use a hacksaw to cut the pipe. I'm not sure if it would ever be used again anyway.)

I will also be removing the fuel filter, damaged fuel tank , and fuel lines this week.

Should I look into borrowing a engine hoist from work, or is it better to just disassemble it piece by piece?

Another question is what do I do about the A/C? I kind of doubt that there is any juice left in it, but I am not sure of the correct procedure to check.

What do I do about un-needed wires? I removed the oxygen sensor and another one by the catalytic converter.

Any other tips? Thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 PM

At the end of day 3 (I do work all day and then do this at night), I have been able to remove the muffler and catalytic converter. The header still is stuck in the engine bay until tomorrow... I will have to hacksaw some more parts.

And it will probably be Friday before I can get the fuel system out. But, I like where I will be by this weekend.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 PM

On working day 4, I was able to remove the header and the rest of the exhaust pipe tonight. I wasn't giving up until it was out.

Friday night will be the fuel system and components.

Is there any reason to keep the engine together, or is it easier to remove pieces? Is it possible to sell an engine with 175,000 miles on it?

Last edited by Caps18; 05-12-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:46 PM

On working day 5, I removed the fuel filter, drained the little gas still in the line, and then removed the fuel tank.

I had to hacksaw the fuel line to get the fuel filter off because it was so rusted on. I'm not sure if it had ever been changed...

I need to remove some fuel lines still. And then I have to start looking into disassembling the ICE engine. I think that will be the best thing to do. It might not be the easiest, but it is straight forward.

Share or Bookmark this