Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > General Forum > EV News

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 08:22 AM
News Bot

News Bot is on a distinguished road
Default Is Electricity the Alternative Fuel for Future Cars?

Digital Trends contributors Amir Illiaifar and Nick Mokey debate the merits of electricity as the fuel of the future.

More...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2012, 01:32 PM

nucleus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is Electricity the Alternative Fuel for Future Cars?

Don't waste your time following this link. Two know-nothings in a nonsensical argument.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:13 PM

Jason Lattimer is on a distinguished road

These articles are getting really irritating. People spouting off about things they obviously know nothing about. It makes it hard to get people to adopt this type of technology.

I see this technology being able to overtake standard technology probably a decade before it actually does just because of all the crap people are throwing at it.
http://sustainablepolitical.blogspot.com/
Old 05-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Administrator

ElectriCar is on a distinguished road
Default Yes, BS alert!

As a former Biodiesel maker, I can attest that Nick don't know dick about Biodiesel. You can't just replace diesel with it. Well you can for a while, until it destroys something in the fuel system.

Biodiesel is highly corrosive to many materials and will destroy hoses, plastics and parts inside fuel pumps etc not designed with it in mind.

My 2005 F250 visited the Ford store often for repairs under "warranty" but the mechanic told me to stop using it and my truck would stop tearing up. That's when I went electric and my truck hasn't had anymore visits to the shop for "fuel system issues" since.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 AM

Jason Lattimer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yes, BS alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectriCar View Post
As a former biodiesel maker, I can attest that Nick don't know dick about biodiesel. You can't just replace diesel with it. Well you can for a while, until it destroys something in the fuel system.

Biodiesel is highly corrosive to many materials and will destroy hoses, plastics and parts inside fuel pumps etc not designed with it in mind.

My 2005 F250 visited the Ford store often for repairs under "warranty" but the mechanic told me to stop using it and my truck would stop tearing up. That's when I went electric and my truck hasn't had anymore visits to the shop for "fuel system issues" since.
That's interesting because you don't hear much about its being corrosive. I have often heard the same said of ethanol.
http://sustainablepolitical.blogspot.com/
Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Administrator

ElectriCar is on a distinguished road

Oh, if you spill it on pin striping for example, it will dissolve the adhesive. It did on mine. It also damaged the paint a bit. Now if you have steel fuel lines it will strip them clean of gunk, which usually causes the fuel filter to clog a time or three depending on how many miles have been driven.

There also have been complaints of deposits building up on injector tips with Biodiesel.

To clarify my comments re corrosion, I'm talking about running full strength 100% Biodiesel, or B100. The government I think mandates a 5% blend with regular diesel or B5. Some places sell B20.

Also Biodiesel will jell at higher temps than regular diesel but that can be fixed with additives, even as high as 45-50F I believe, depending on the oil type it was made from.

Share or Bookmark this