custom tires wheels, use motorcycle wheels? - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Technical Discussion

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 10:27 PM

NintendoKD can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to NintendoKD Send a message via Skype™ to NintendoKD
Default custom tires wheels, use motorcycle wheels?

This is a multipurpose post, I am interested in a "what if" type scenario where motorcycle tires are used as opposed to much wider/heavier street tires. The object off most EV's is economy, so since performance realistically isn't an issue then.......
so how do I go about putting these types of rims/tires on a standard car? what are the benefits/risks of doing so? rather do the benefits out weigh the risks? at only about 3" per tire of road contact road friction is reduced substantially, as well as rotational mass, and drag "tires are narrower and round", the tires would wear more quickly depending on the conditions, and driving in inclaimant weather would not be good for insurance premiums. any thoughts?

thanks
A lot of money first. A good light weight vehicle. 9" motor, Soliton1, Synkromotive controller, Warp Drive Controller, Zilla Controller. A large pack of lithium batteries. 45 kWH at least. A good charger and lots of money. Oh, and more money. It will be expensive. You won't be able to do that with Lead Acid batteries. PETE
Most of the other stuff is minor compared to the car, motor, controller and battery pack.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Admin: 'one of many'

Woodsmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: custom tires wheels, use motorcycle wheels?

I would suspect that m/c tyres would cost more, not last as long, become dangerously bald in the centre very quickly, cause concern for your insurers and not reduce your Rolling Resistance.

No evidence for that, just a gut feeling.

I have read of bikers trying to switch to car tyres to get better tyre life and reduce costs. Mainly those long distance freeway cruisers who don't corner much I think.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:52 AM

kek_63 is on a distinguished road

Brutal handling...."this thing corners like a cow on ice"! Also, motorcycle wheels are not designed to handle any amount of side load. Unless you are designing some kind of leaning tadpole trike, I would suggest you stay away from motorcycle parts.

Later,
Keith
Old 07-06-2012, 06:44 AM

onegreenev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoKD View Post
This is a multipurpose post, I am interested in a "what if" type scenario where motorcycle tires are used as opposed to much wider/heavier street tires. The object off most EV's is economy, so since performance realistically isn't an issue then.......
so how do I go about putting these types of rims/tires on a standard car? what are the benefits/risks of doing so? rather do the benefits out weigh the risks? at only about 3" per tire of road contact road friction is reduced substantially, as well as rotational mass, and drag "tires are narrower and round", the tires would wear more quickly depending on the conditions, and driving in inclaimant weather would not be good for insurance premiums. any thoughts?

thanks
What are you building again? You could have narrow rims made if needed and just use narrow tires. Nice 3 1/2" wide Radials. Gives a little foot print yet retains the benefits of the radial. Built for cars not motorcycles. Coker Tire makes nice narrow tires. 135/15 would fit that bill. Just be sure you have a narrow rim to go along with that narrow tire.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 AM

NintendoKD can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to NintendoKD Send a message via Skype™ to NintendoKD

I saw an article on an old hot rodder doing this, he built an EV and used motorcycle tires, I don't know how that worked for him, which is why I proposed the idea here first. I am building my MR2 Spyder, to be a mean EV.
A lot of money first. A good light weight vehicle. 9" motor, Soliton1, Synkromotive controller, Warp Drive Controller, Zilla Controller. A large pack of lithium batteries. 45 kWH at least. A good charger and lots of money. Oh, and more money. It will be expensive. You won't be able to do that with Lead Acid batteries. PETE
Most of the other stuff is minor compared to the car, motor, controller and battery pack.

Share or Bookmark this