Bradshaw FB2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Non Road Going Vehicles

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 PM

lloydn is on a distinguished road
Default Bradshaw FB2

Hi all,

My first post here. I have been reading the forums for a little while, planning a future conversion of a car or two, but an opportunity has come up to try something a little smaller first.

Minus transportation costs, I can very cheaply get hold of a pair of ageing Bradshaw vehicles.
http://www.bradshawelectricvehicles....urden/fb1.html
They are pretty much exactly the same as the burden carrying FB2s (no roofs), but from 1992, as far as I can make out. They have been left outside for a few years to weather the elements.

Both vehicles have motors, with single reduction and differential on RWD. one vehicle has a controller.

Unfortunately neither have battery packs.

Motors are sepex, I think they are the same.

The motor plate reads
Advanced DC
Part No: A96-4007
Volt DC: 24-48
Class H
Rating: AU2500 8-20-03

I think they are geared for about 12-15mph, with a lot of torque for load carrying.

Controller has some markings on, I can make out a rating of 36v and I think 159A. That's about 6kW right? Would that likely be continuous?

I hope to convert one or both to NEV like things for getting around in town. Or just for round the garden for fun if that's too difficult.

I'd just like to see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, what they make of them, or have any experience of the motors or parts?

I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow, and I might add a thread in the motor section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Admin: 'one of many'

Woodsmith will become famous soon enoughWoodsmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bradshaw FB2

They look like nice little load carriers.
Depending on the condition of the ones you are getting you should be able to get a lot of donor parts to make a neat little off road EV.

I don't know what sort of range or speed you may be able to get out of one of the motors for road use but we'll see once you have the vehicles.

For road use you would probably use a motor, over volted and attached to a normal car type gearbox. Over volting would mean the controller would probably be redundent so you would need to find a higher voltage SepEx controller. Have a look at the later part of this thread.

I would personally be tempted to use the motor and controller as is from the Bradshaw, initially to make an off road 'toy' as a learning curve'.

My temptation with two of them would be to get in to 1/3 scale modeling and make an 8x4 truck with twin steer and twin motor drive. That would use the axles from both machines.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:29 PM

madderscience is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bradshaw FB2

Somebody abandoned a very similar burden carrier vehicle in a park near my home a couple of years ago. It had been converted to an art project, then abandoned after it hit and damaged another vehicle. (the owner skipped out on it instead of fessing up)

Anyhow, I was this...close... to grabbing it to try and do something with it. However (ownership issues aside) my research (WA state, US of A) said it was basically impossible to make it road legal. The parts (a 36 volt system, in my case) were too low of voltage and power for anything except maybe a go cart or low power motorcycle.

In many cases the motors on these types of vehicles are similar to golf cart motors in that they don't have a front bearing (they are supported by the gearbox / axle assy) so they are hard to use for another purpose.

So my take away was such a vehicle is not likely to be terribly useful for parts for a street legal, four wheeled vehicle.

Share or Bookmark this