Wayland's 350Mile per Charge Honda Insight BEV - Page 6 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > EV Performance

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Administrator

david85 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Wayland's 350Mile per Charge Honda Insight BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAl View Post
I've got the attitude that if it's to be, it's up to me.
I don't think I've seen it summed up so effectively as in that sentence. Well said.

All I had to do was build it.. http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ion-26587.html

Garage: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/206

Forum Rules and terms of service:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/faq.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 08:14 AM

CrazyAl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wayland's 350Mile per Charge Honda Insight BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoque View Post
I'd agree with that too but qualify it with a further: having difficulties figuring out how to squeeze the obscene profits they've been getting out of ICE machines. It's not just the ICE cars themselves but the massive industry that it spawns.
I totally agree with you. The modern ICE cars are getting harder to service as well. One needs all these Scan tools just to service a car. It appears that car makers are trying to force consumers to use their dealer network to get their cars serviced. There is even talk in the industry about charging customers a technology fee. Some already charge a waste disposal fee.

It is even getting more complex with the types of oils, spark plugs, filters, etc that a modern ICE car requires. Get it wrong and the ICE dies.

Are we supposed to call this progress?

It is ironic that a modern ICE car has more electronics & computers than an Electric Car. And as an end consumer, I ask if we are better off with the modern ICE car?

regards
CrazyAl

Last edited by CrazyAl; 05-13-2011 at 08:15 AM. Reason: forgot to put some words
Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 AM

CrazyAl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by david85 View Post
I don't think I've seen it summed up so effectively as in that sentence. Well said.
Thanks David, I first heard that phrase at a course I went to almost 9 years ago.

Kind Regards
CrazyAl
Old 06-25-2011, 12:34 AM
NEAA Member

coulombKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrsko View Post
my thoughts are more related to battery sizing and chemistry. I just cant envision any room in the vehicle except for battery storage
If you look at the parts of the current White Zombie cells the Dow cells are more like envelopes and can be stuffed into a lot of spaces prizmatics cannot. They would also lend themselves well to an under the car belly pan pack like is going under the new Tesla-S. Spread em out too much and connections weight will go up though. Weird side thought. My car needs a belly pan to clean up the aerodynamics. What if I raised it up a little and......

Last edited by coulombKid; 06-25-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-05-2011, 01:55 AM

tanzeelansari is on a distinguished road

John Wayland's Gen-1 Honda Insight is being rebuilt for long range BEV. 350 Miles per charge at highway speeds of 55 to 70 MPH.

71.5 kwh battery rated for up to 715 kw of discharge power.
He is expecting to get about ~5 Miles per kwh over the 350 mile run.

He is considering weather to go with a 100 kw or 200 kw motor controller / Inverter and drive motor.

That's crazy ... but I look forward to reading more about it as the story unfolds.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:49 PM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Wayland's 350Mile per Charge Honda Insight BEV

Big updates from Wayland: http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/blog/?p=486
Old 09-29-2011, 07:32 PM

IamIan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
Big updates from Wayland:
Looking good ... wishing him the best
Old 09-30-2011, 07:47 AM

MN Driver is on a distinguished road

Nice, thanks for posting that he has an update. I'm interested in his project as it is my donor vehicle as well. I'm not putting 350 miles worth of cells in mine though, unless some sponsorship comes along but there won't be one for me but I don't really need one to build something more powerful than stock, just sucks that the length issue prevents the Warp 9 from fitting and the AC50 is questionable. The Impulse fits and the 220v Kostov is a similar size, I'll take the 9"HV Kostov over the Impulse as it looks to be the more efficient option and also lets me give me more torque and push higher revs.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:19 AM

John Wayland is on a distinguished road

Hello to All,

Thanks for the interest. Yes, the flat shape of the cells certainly helps
in the 'find places to put all of them' department! To be honest, it's quite a challenge to find the space for 985 ls. of cells - which when installed including the actually module cases, conductors, and BMS will be 1080 lbs.

I 'had' wanted to simply make three, 318V, 75 ah rectangular batteries, 86 cells in each. These 75 ah cells are larger than the 30 ah cells used in the Zombie, and so they are thicker at ~ 1/2", thus 86 of them stacked in a row takes up ~43", so call the box 43.5" long. There is not a single area in the Insight, other than doing a ticky-tacky just fill the hatch area thing, where a rectangular box 11" wide, 12" tall, and 43.5" long can fit.

The other issue is weight balance, a priority so the car will handle very well, even though it will be about 1000 lbs. heavier than stock! Properly balanced and with new suspension pieces and light but strong bracing, the car will drive well. Improperly balanced, it would be a nightmare!

With the above considerations then, I've decided on 11 modules, 10 of them identical with an 11th one holding fewer cells and thus being a little smaller and lighter. Each module will be a flat-shaped rectangle that can be mounted either vertically or horizontally. The modules will be ~ 5" thick x ~12" tall x ~ 32" long, and will contain a 3P8S cell arrangement.
Doing it this way drops the BMS board count to 1/3 the number required for three separate 318V BIG batteries. Visualize 8 cells stacked on top of each other with two identical stack on each side. Each stack is in series to get 29.6V @ 75 ah, and going from left to right, each cell layer is paralleled, for 3 cells in parallel. A central-mounted RegDeck board & BMS will be connected to all three stacks. Each of these 24 cell flat modules will be 29.6V @ 225 ah, with the 11th module being an 18 cell 22.2V @ 225 ah. Total pack is 318V.2V @ 225 ah for 71.6 kWh.

With modules shaped like this, I can squeeze 3 under the hood (one laying flat, two standing vertically) without blocking the view of the rare EV1 AC motor with the gorgeous Rinehart Motion Systems inverter mounted with it - in addition to performance, presentation is very important. The other 8 will go midship both in the now empty IMA chamber below the hatch deck area, and underneath it where the gas tank was - all of it a very tight fit, all of it not yet all worked out and finalized.

If it does work out, the competition grade sound system will go right back where it was, though it will now tilt up and away for battery module access and presentation.

I invite everyone to visit the 'Wayland's Words' section of my website to follow this project - the current posting has photos to go along with the story.

See Ya...John Wayland

<http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/blog/>

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulombKid View Post
If you look at the parts of the current White Zombie cells the Dow cells are more like envelopes and can be stuffed into a lot of spaces prizmatics cannot. They would also lend themselves well to an under the car belly pan pack like is going under the new Tesla-S. Spread em out too much and connections weight will go up though. Weird side thought. My car needs a belly pan to clean up the aerodynamics. What if I raised it up a little and......
Old 09-30-2011, 12:50 PM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Wayland's 350Mile per Charge Honda Insight BEV

Share or Bookmark this

Tags
battery, bev, conversion, electric, range