Tesla's 'Brick' Problem - Page 3 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > General Forum > EV News

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Administrator

david85 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tesla's 'Brick' Problem

Just to add to what you said, some might be uncomfortable with leaving something like a tesla plugged in for months at a time. I sure don't need nor have to leave my EV plugged in.

Dunno.....I can't afford one anyway so it doesn't mean much to me.

All I had to do was build it.. http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ion-26587.html

Garage: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/206

Forum Rules and terms of service:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/faq.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 AM

Neuman is on a distinguished road

I'm curious if this scenario is common to all EVs or just the battery technology used by the manufacturers?

Do DIY available LifePO4 (?) batteries have the same behavior?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Administrator

ElectriCar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuman View Post
I'm curious if this scenario is common to all EVs or just the battery technology used by the manufacturers?

Do DIY available LifePO4 (?) batteries have the same behavior?
Depends on how they design the vehicle more than anything. If the vehicle has equipment connected to the pack while shut down then yes there's an issue.

As long as it's plugged in and power is on, with an acceptable power cord then supposedly it will be ok. Anything happens, breaker trips, GFCI receptacle shuts down, someone unplugs the cord etc, it could fail. And that's just BS for them to set this thing up like that.

Tesla is a novice auto company but should know better. With stunts like that they're going to take a beating when enough people get burned.

My beef is that it's totally preventable unless the cells they use self discharge. In that case there's no way around it. Prismatic cells, those common to EV DIY'ers are not like that unless damaged somehow.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:08 AM

rochesterricer is on a distinguished road

Tesla is doing a terrible job with this situation IMO:

http://jalopnik.com/5887499/who-is-t...-whistleblower
Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 AM

nicklogan is on a distinguished road

>[QUOTE=Ziggythewiz;286412]Nobody's driven through a river though. If you left your car unplugged for 2 months, would you expect it to need 50% of it's cost in repairs?

If you drained the oil from your ICE engine and then ran it until it seized up, would you expect a new motor for free.?

>The real issue isn't just rich people taking a $40-50K hit, it's the fact that every Tesla would have this issue if they don't fix it, even the ones designed for the 'commoners'.

There really is no such thing as a foolproof system. If you're enough of a fool to leave your car unplugged for months and not check on it despite being warned in customer orientation and in the manual and ignoring alarms the car gives, you don't really have a leg to stand on in a claim.
It turns out that the blogger who wrote the alarmist article is a long time business partner of the owner of the bricked Tesla:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ehind-the-post

I don't blame Tesla or Elon Musk in the least for saying "too bad" and I don't think it will affect future sales. There will probably be attempts to use it as a reason to deny further credits toward EV purchases anyway though.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 AM
gottdi

NISSAN recommends you use the following driving and charging habits, where possible, to help maximize the battery’s useful life:
. Avoid exposing a vehicle to ambient tem- peratures above 120F (49C) for over 24 hours.
. Avoid storing a vehicle in temperatures below −13F (−25C) for over 7 days.
. Avoid leaving your vehicle for over 14 days where the Li-ion battery available charge gauge reaches a zero or near zero (state of charge) .
. Allow the vehicle and Li-ion battery to cool down after use before charging.
. Park/store your vehicle in cool locations out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources.
. Use the normal charging or trickle charging methods to charge the Li-ion battery and minimize the use of public Fast Charge or Quick Charger.
. Allow the battery charge to be below at least 80% before charging.
. Moderate driving.
. Use of ECO mode.
. NISSAN recommends charging the bat- teries using the long life mode unless the vehicle is going to be driven a long distance. See “Charging timer” in the “CH. Charging” section.
. If vehicle will not be used for long period of time:
— NISSAN recommends charging with long life mode.
— Charge once every 3 months.

Last edited by gottdi; 02-23-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 AM

Ziggythewiz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottdi View Post
. Avoid exposing a vehicle to ambient tem- peratures above 1208F (498C) for over 24 hours.
. Avoid storing a vehicle in temperatures below −138F (−258C) for over 7 days.
Please tell me where these two apply, I do not want to live there!!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 AM
gottdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggythewiz View Post
Please tell me where these two apply, I do not want to live there!!
The Degree Symbol comes across as an 8 when you copy paste. Delete the 8 you see. Just a glitch from computer to web. Oh well.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 AM
gottdi

Direct from the TESLA OWNER MANUAL

Leaving the vehicle unplugged
Even when you’re not driving the vehicle, the Battery will slowly lose its charge. Therefore, when you’re not using the vehicle, you should leave it plugged in. However, situations may arise in which you must leave the vehicle unplugged for an extended time (for example, at an airport when travelling for a couple of weeks). If this is the case, it is your responsibility to ensure that the Battery does not become fully depleted. Charge the Battery to a maximum level before leaving it. Keep in mind that when the vehicle is left unplugged with a full Battery, the initial rate of decline can be significant. When fully charged, the Battery’s charge level can drop as much as 7% a day and 50% within the first week. When the Battery’s charge level falls below 50%, the rate of decline slows down to approximately 5% per week. Over-discharge can permanently damage the Battery.
If for some reason, you are unable to keep the vehicle plugged in when it is not being used, it is up to you to preserve battery life by paying attention to the charge level and the temperature (see bulleted list below). If leaving your vehicle unplugged for more than 24 hours, follow these do’s and don’ts to avoid prematurely decreasing the life of your vehicle’s Battery:

• DO leave the vehicle plugged in whenever possible.
• DO maintain at least a 15% charge level in the Battery if leaving it unplugged for more than 48 hours.
• DO charge the Battery to a full charge before leaving it unplugged. This maintains the charge level needed to keep the Battery’s electronics operational. If storing for more than 15 days, it is strongly recommended that you keep it plugged in.
• DO NOT expose an unplugged vehicle to ambient temperatures below -20°F (-29°C) or above 120°F (49°C.

Use the vehicle’s Touch Screen to determine the charge level and temperature of the Battery. For details, refer to the Touch Screen Users Manual, provided in your owners package.

Storing your vehicle
If you plan to leave the vehicle unused for longer than 15 days, it is recommended that you leave the vehicle connected to the High Power Connector and select the ‘Storage’ charge setting using the Touch Screen. When you charge the vehicle using the Storage charge setting, the vehicle is automatically kept at a reduced charge level to optimize the life of the individual cells within the Battery. Keep in mind that the reduced charge level also reduces the vehicle’s available driving range. So remember to change the setting back to ‘Standard’ before taking the vehicle on an extended drive. For details on how to select the Storage charge setting, refer to the Touch Screen Users Manual, provided in your owners package.

Last edited by gottdi; 02-23-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 AM
gottdi

Not sure why this worked and it did not work with the first cut paste? Odd

Share or Bookmark this