Tesla's 'Brick' Problem - Page 4 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > General Forum > EV News

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 10:08 AM
gottdi

Default Re: Tesla's 'Brick' Problem

Interesting, the degree symbol did not copy paste properly from the Nissan PDF document but worked perfectly from the Tesla PDF document. Damn computers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 AM

Ziggythewiz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottdi View Post
When fully charged, the Battery’s charge level can drop as much as 7% a day and 50% within the first week. When the Battery’s charge level falls below 50%, the rate of decline slows down to approximately 5% per week.
This part really concerns me. It must be really bad for the battery to be mostly charged if their storage mode holds it at 50 and leaving it full it actively runs itself down to 50.

Also, somewhere in the manual it said the BMS functions run periodically when it is plugged in to maintain them and their environment, but it seems from people talking that it actively runs all the time, so either the manual is wrong on that point, or these cells have a rediculous self discharge rate. Lead lasts longer, and certainly recovers better.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM
gottdi

Why be concerned. Follow the owners manual and you will not have an issue. If you truly follow the rules and have an issue I am quite sure the issue will be covered under warranty.

Seems that many think the TESLA is some back yard hack by the sound of things here and over at EVDL. Sounds like many here and there know more than they do. What BULL CRAP.

If you can't follow the rules you should not own one.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 AM
gottdi

Like I said before. The whole thing stinks of BULL SHIT.

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/02/23...short-circuit/
Old 02-23-2012, 12:51 PM

If it's BS, Tesla's being awful quiet about it.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:23 PM
gottdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggythewiz View Post
If it's BS, Tesla's being awful quiet about it.
No, its more like everyone else is being extra noisy about a bunch of bull. It is what the form folks do. They hear some BS and run with it.

It's bull.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:42 PM

Paraphrasing and adapting my favorite quote from revenge of the electric car:

People are really twisting this around and trying to make it sound like we messed up. The truth is...we really...well, kind of messed up.

-Elon Musk
Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 AM

gor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Follow the warranty rules and you will have no problem. I have a Leaf and it is stated not to leave my vehicle for more than two weeks unplugged if you have less than a full charge.
Pete
Quote:
I left mine for two weeks unplugged with a full charge. Guess what? I still had a full charge when I got home.
Yes, there is very easy technical solution in basically any electric car (even diy) to this "problem", especially for EV Tesla class.
Their manual doesn't states - do not leave unplugged for 2 weeks (like on Leaf) it says - you can leave it unplugged for couple of weeks (not recommended). Drain: 50% - first week, 5% per day - after, which takes next 10 days to drain 50% of what left (to 25% total), 7+20 days - to 12.5% total.
No clear warning on 5-2 & 5-3 as it is in 9-3, suggests - this "problem" shouldn't even be there, such "teething problems" can and should be resolved immediately. Settle, rebate, insurance or other deal in such cases - whole situation will look and feel different - won't be a situation.
Now it's getting ridiculous, but their bad PR and poor handling of whole situation - casts shadow and not a good favour for EV community.

Last edited by gor; 02-24-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM

etischer will become famous soon enough

Here is Teslas response:

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/plug-it

The earliest Roadsters will take over two months to discharge if parked at a 50 percent charge without being plugged in. From that starting point, Tesla has consistently innovated and improved our battery technology. For example, a Model S battery parked with 50 percent charge would approach full discharge only after about 12 months. Model S batteries also have the ability to protect themselves as they approach very low charge levels by going into a “deep sleep” mode that lowers the loss even further. A Model S will not allow its battery to fall below about 5 percent charge. At that point the car can still sit for many months. Of course you can drive a Model S to 0 percent charge, but even in that circumstance, if you plug it in within 30 days, the battery will recover normally.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 AM

So, "the rumor is unfounded" because the car keeps telling itself that it's low, and we have fixed the issue for the S and the X...

And still with this confusing garbage: "A plugged-in Tesla is not only charging its battery, it is also keeping key systems within the car functioning properly."

Obviously, it's doing a lot of that crap while not plugged-in also.

Share or Bookmark this