DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Kostov K11 Alpha?

11K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  somanywelps 
#1 ·
#9 ·
I did look at those but there are some problems.

1) Increased complexity

2) Power loss (and noise)

3) horizontal size

4) If the chain/belt breaks or locks up one of the motors, the other motor suddenly gets 2x voltage and flash fries.

I figure it's actually easier to just go series mount and modify the cooling to get full airflow rather than actually mess with the mounting order.

That kit was mainly for the the projects that didn't have the space for 2 motors end to end.

Also it will be easier to have some filtering on those to keep dust and crap out of the motors.

#14 ·
You would need a custom shaft on the front one and an over sized (1,300 CFM ?) fan on the rear one with custom cowl duct work to get half the air to front motor. That, or plenum duct the exhaust of both motors to a suction style ventilation system. The suction route would eliminate the possibility of sucking hot air from the first motor into the second. Accessory drives on the front motor would be possible with extended shafts and suction cooling. No stub shaft on the front is one reason I'd opt for traditional Kostov 11"s or a NetGain 11" instead of the Kostov 11" alpha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.