Wanting to start a project, need some advice - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 AM

Mahonroy is on a distinguished road
Default Wanting to start a project, need some advice

Hello, I am new here and my name is Matt. I'm still reading around and learning a few things, but figured I would make a post to see if I could get some ideas/advice from you guys.
Quick background on me, very mechanically inclined, and have a business designing and building turbocharger systems for cars (so have access to a lot of fabrication tools). I'm confident I can design and build the mechanical portion of the build, but I'm still learning about the electronic side.
So I have this spare 2003 Hyundai Elantra (2.0liter) that I want to use as the project car. I want it to be a hybrid, and have a 10-20hp electric motor assisting at all times (with the ability to regerate power under breaking as well). I'm trying to acheive my goal and keep it as simple and inexpensive as possible, but if it goes over budget its ok.
What I was going to do is machine a new crank pulley with an extension on it, mount a electric motor in a similar fassion to the motor as the alternator, power steering, ac, etc. is mounted, and connect it via a belt (possibly toothed if necessary like a timing belt) to the extension on the crank pulley. This way the electric motor would be in direct contact with the drive train of the crankshaft at all times. The only thing I really need to figure out still is a good tensioner system for the belt, but I don't forsee this being too big of a problem.
I was also wanting to base the electric motor output off the TPS sensor.
My main confusions are how the regenerative breaking system is going to work, and what type of electric motor would be best for this application. If you have have a relay turn on to flow current through the electric motor to drive, how do you have it to where you spin the motor and have it generate electricity back into the batteries, since the electrical circuit would be the same between the two right?
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Share or Bookmark this