New member toying with first project - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > General Forum > Chit Chat

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2012, 06:48 AM

cliftonts is on a distinguished road
Default New member toying with first project

Hi everyone, I've found myself here because I recently paid the annual turnover of a small country for 6 months car tax and I'm beginning to get pretty sick of it! I have looked at the options for buying a cheap, second hand EV on ebay and I have to say they're pretty uninspiring. After digging around for a while I stumbled acrosss a conversion kit and this did seem to get my blood pumping!

The idea of having an electric car that looks like, well, a car for a change is fantastic. Rather than soulless, dull, samey cars like the Axiam Mega City. However I've never even thought about doing this before this week so I find myself very ignorant of the hardware that's out there and what is a bargain vs what is a cheap piece of tat!

I have a Mk3 golf which holds a lot of sentimental value so I'm keeping it on the road at any cost. I've been mulling over the task in hand for a few days now and there are a few issues that have cropped up. Most of them solved quite easily but 2 have me stumped for the moment. Firstly the clutch is hydraulic and shares the brake fluid, so presumably once the engine is out and the clutch removed I'll have a major hole in the brake system. I can't really assess that until I'm half way through the job. The second is that the speedo doesn't work if the engine isn't running. The mileometer does but not the speedo so is there some sort of mod to get that going or do I need to fit a replacement?

Bearing in mind I'm in the UK any advice on what I'd need to do this cost effectively would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Gareth

Share or Bookmark this