VW Golf Mk2 - VoltsWagon - Page 8 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 02:52 PM

Ace_bridger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: VW Golf Mk2 - VoltsWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mora View Post
You could also try ticking RT (raw throttle) in RTD and untick all the other options. If graph changes you got your throttle signal there. Though I'm not sure if that software modification makes it impossible to plot raw throttle signal anymore.

I'm also interested in modding my controller to accept hall effect throttle. I'm keeping an eye on your experiments, hehe. Do you sell those motorsport HE throttles?
Sorry, Mora,

Yes, I can get you a motorsport hall effect, no probs. I'll get you a specification PM me with an email address.

They are fully programmable, at the factory, so you can choose what angle and what voltages you need out. I could always get one programmed the same as mine for use with Paul's modified software. He changed it for JackBauer when he first used his E46 hall effect. I have the same version.

I am uisng a Rover 100 throttle body to mount to to save time and effort. I still need to check whether the throttle cable travel on the Golf is compatible with the Rover throttle body but, to be honest, with the programmable HE I can make it do whatever I want!

Let me know if you want a specification and I'll get a price from our factory.

Cheers,

Adam
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 AM

I've had some success with finding the correct parameters for the hall effect throttle input on my controller...with help form Paul!!

"Anything below 0.5v should be an error, and 0.8v is considered zero throttle (anything below 0.8v and above 0.5v is zero throttle). And anything above 4.1v is full throttle, as long as it's less than 4.5v. So, I would set the pedal to 0.65v for zero throttle and 4.1v for full throttle." Thanks Paul!!

"Hi Paul,

I got connected to the controller and accessed the settings. They are attached. Could you have a look at the numbers and see if you agree with how I have converted bits to equivalent volts, please?

I’ve assumed that 5V is equivalent to 1023 bits so,

tminRC – 0164 bits is equivalent to 0.8V
tmaxRC – 0839 bits is equivalent to 4.1V
tfaultminRC – 0102 bits is equivalent to 0.5V
tfaultmaxRC – 0922 bits is equivalent to 4.5V

Does that make sense or am I way off?

Cheers,

Adam"
Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM

Slow progress over the last two weeks. A family holiday and constant rain has twarted progress!!

I drilled the controller case today and plan to make the perspex ends next week.

I scored a free piece of steel which will form the perfect battery restraining bulkhead under the bonnet to stop the 200Kg of lead from moving forwards under heavy braking or impact with a tree. I'll get this fitted when the rain stops!!

We have a laser etcher at work so am planning some detail for the top of the controller box. I wanted the Open Revolt logo but the machine can't take jpeg files so I am limited just to text. Still, it will add some interest rather than just the plain aluminium.

My aim is to have the car on the road by Oct, before the nights draw in and cycling becomes a pain/danger!! Unless this rain stops I don't stand a chance.

Frustrated EVer!!

In my idle hours I was wondering about the alternative racing they do at Santa Pod and whether I might take the Golf to see she'll do on the 1/4 mile. Would be a giggle if all the UK members met up there and did a run!!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Administrator

skooler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_bridger View Post
Slow progress over the last two weeks. A family holiday and constant rain has twarted progress!!

I drilled the controller case today and plan to make the perspex ends next week.

I scored a free piece of steel which will form the perfect battery restraining bulkhead under the bonnet to stop the 200Kg of lead from moving forwards under heavy braking or impact with a tree. I'll get this fitted when the rain stops!!

We have a laser etcher at work so am planning some detail for the top of the controller box. I wanted the Open Revolt logo but the machine can't take jpeg files so I am limited just to text. Still, it will add some interest rather than just the plain aluminium.

My aim is to have the car on the road by Oct, before the nights draw in and cycling becomes a pain/danger!! Unless this rain stops I don't stand a chance.

Frustrated EVer!!

In my idle hours I was wondering about the alternative racing they do at Santa Pod and whether I might take the Golf to see she'll do on the 1/4 mile. Would be a giggle if all the UK members met up there and did a run!!
Good progress

I'm up for Santa pod
Old 07-06-2012, 03:18 PM

I think you might have the aerodynamic advantage!!

Two of us...let's see how else we can convince!!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think you might have the aerodynamic advantage!!

Two of us...let's see how else we can convince!!
True, but roughly the same power and mines probably a fair bit heavier.

It would be good to line up next to woodys tractor!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:28 PM

Going OTT a little but I'm sure we'll get back eventually!!

http://www.aeracing.org/index.html

Fun, fun, fun!!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:54 PM

Right, back to the car and enough of dreaming of the 1/4 mile at Santa Pod...that idea is firmly planted in the back of my mind ready for next May!!

I decided on final battery configuration under the bonnet today and found some suitable securing brackets.

I'm going for 6 up front and 6 in the boot. Having 6 in the boot should allow for a nice spot for the Elcon charger tucked down in the battery tray along side the batteries allowing easy placement of the temp sensor.

Under the bonnet, the fire wall will restrict movement aft and simple 90° box section brackets will keep them from moving forward, left or right.

The clutch cable is a pain but if I find I dont need it I'll just take it off.

The nice things about the configuration I have decided on is that three of the inter-connects (between batteries) can be done with LiFe style aluminium plates will I can knock up at work. They'll add stability bteween batteries and some rigidity of the pack.

I'm planning on strapping the whole pack together also to stop the vibration and make then a 'solid' assembly.

See pics.

The batteries also have little plastic bits for bolting which I will do...although they're not very strong but for the sake of a few bolts I think it's worth it.

PS. those brackets are speaker brackets and I need to track down two more to pick up the two outer most batteries.

PPS. The controller will go in the gap at the bottom left of the first picture and electrical box (contactors, etc) will go bottom right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08072012 036.jpg (91.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 08072012 037.jpg (91.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Ace_bridger; 07-08-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Right, back to the car and enough of dreaming of the 1/4 mile at Santa Pod...that idea is firmly planted in the back of my mind ready for next May!!

I decided on final battery configuration under the bonnet today and found some suitable securing brackets.

I'm going for 6 up front and 6 in the boot. Having 6 in the boot should allow for a nice spot for the Elcon charger tucked down in the battery tray along side the batteries allowing easy placement of the temp sensor.

Under the bonnet, the fire wall will restrict movement aft and simple 90° box section brackets will keep them from moving forward, left or right.

The clutch cable is a pain but if I find I dont need it I'll just take it off.

The nice things about the configuration I have decided on is that three of the inter-connects (between batteries) can be done with LiFe style aluminium plates will I can knock up at work. They'll add stability bteween batteries and some rigidity of the pack.

I'm planning on strapping the whole pack together also to stop the vibration and make then a 'solid' assembly.

See pics.

The batteries also have little plastic bits for bolting which I will do...although they're not very strong but for the sake of a few bolts I think it's worth it.

PS. those brackets are speaker brackets and I need to track down two more to pick up the two outer most batteries.

PPS. The controller will go in the gap at the bottom left of the first picture and electrical box (contactors, etc) will go bottom right.
So are you doing anything to stop the batteries from lifting/bouncing around?

From what I understand you are bolting the plastic bit on the bottom of the batteries?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 AM

Hey Mike,

No, the plastic bits are on the top edge.

I am planning on strapping the whole lot down to stop them bouncing and shorting on the under side of the bonnet!! That would be disappointing!!

Share or Bookmark this